Coffeehouse Thread

14 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

We got a wii!

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    staceyw

My crazy wife got up at 5 this AM and managed to get my son a Wii at BestBuy.  Number 38 out of 40.  I never thought she would make get it in 100 years.  He is playing it now.  Good for her. 

• User profile image
    jsampsonPC

staceyw wrote:
    My crazy wife got up at 5 this AM and managed to get my son a Wii at BestBuy.  Number 38 out of 40.  I never thought she would make get it in 100 years.  He is playing it now.  Good for her. 

Be sure to give us a review Smiley

• User profile image
    stevo_

Playing it now? :O

• User profile image
    Xaero_​Vincent

He didnt want a PS3?

I could understand the $600 price tag; but was that the only hindering factor?

Regards,
    Vincent

• User profile image
    AdityaG

staceyw wrote:

You are a lucky man and your son is a lucky boy Smiley

• User profile image
    CyberGeek

I didn't get one Sad. I tried 3 Targets, 2 Sam's Clubs, a K-Mart, a Fred Myer, a Toys R Us, a Shopko, a Sears, a Game Crazy, a Circuit City, a Best Buy, a CompUSA, and a Radio Shack Sad Sad Sad.

• User profile image
    staceyw

Xaero_Vincent wrote:
    He didnt want a PS3?

Regards,
    Vincent

For some reason that it what he wanted.  My other son will probably get the PS3 and somehow find time to play that along with his 360 and god knows what else.  I kinda got out it myself as it was a bit like booze to me.  I can't drink just one.  coding is my drink.  But coding drunk may be fun too Smiley.

• User profile image
    jBuelna

My wife, brother, and I (collectively, Wii) stood in line at Wal-mart from 8pm to 12:15pm yesterday.   Our initial intention was to purchase the Wii and sell it on eBay for twice the amount (hurrah for capitalism!)  We could then take the profit and give it to my brother for his certification exam.  

The Wii is a lot of fun! 

Yes, after a few hours of being around some pretty excited people, we caught the Wii bug and decided to open it up and play with it.  

At first I was a bit skeptical about the controller (remember the Nintendo Power Glove?)   My concerns disappeared the moment I picked up the controller to navigate the Wii Sports game menu.   It feels natural and it's very responsive.  

• User profile image
    JChung2006

AdityaG wrote:

staceyw wrote: My crazy wife got up at 5 this AM and managed to get my son a Wii at BestBuy.  Number 38 out of 40.  I never thought she would make get it in 100 years.  He is playing it now.  Good for her. 
    You are a lucky man and your son is a lucky boy

Hear hear!

• User profile image
    Rory

Xaero_Vincent wrote:
    He didnt want a PS3?

Regards,
    Vincent

I think the other factors, aside from the really high price tag, is that the initial game line-up stinks, the hardware is a confusing mess for devs, there's no consistent online story (it's cool when reviews refer to it as a "ramshackle mess"), and there's nothing compelling about the system.

The Wii, on the other hand, is something new and interesting - like the DS.

If you already have a 360, there's no reason to get a PS3.

In fact, if you go out and get a 360, there's still no reason to get a PS3.

But a Wii is entirely different from the other two systems - it's in its own class.

Nintendo is creating its own console markets. They've been doing fantastic work while becoming a boutique console seller.

In a way, Nintendo is turning into the Apple of the console world.

They're very smart - they know they don't need to challenge the 360 and PS3.

There's plenty of room to make money in this market by just doing something interesting. They might wind up with less overall dough coming in (although, from the sales numbers, I doubt that's going to happen), but they also know that less dough is fine when you have less overhead.

I'm very excited about the work Nintendo's doing.

• User profile image
    ploe

Rory wrote:

Xaero_Vincent wrote: He didnt want a PS3?

Regards,
    Vincent

I think the other factors, aside from the really high price tag, is that the initial game line-up stinks, the hardware is a confusing mess for devs, there's no consistent online story (it's cool when reviews refer to it as a "ramshackle mess"), and there's nothing compelling about the system.

The Wii, on the other hand, is something new and interesting - like the DS.

If you already have a 360, there's no reason to get a PS3.

In fact, if you go out and get a 360, there's still no reason to get a PS3.

But a Wii is entirely different from the other two systems - it's in its own class.

Nintendo is creating its own console markets. They've been doing fantastic work while becoming a boutique console seller.

In a way, Nintendo is turning into the Apple of the console world.

They're very smart - they know they don't need to challenge the 360 and PS3.

There's plenty of room to make money in this market by just doing something interesting. They might wind up with less overall dough coming in (although, from the sales numbers, I doubt that's going to happen), but they also know that less dough is fine when you have less overhead.

you took the words right out of my mouth. Smiley

• User profile image
    jBuelna

ploe wrote:

Rory wrote: 

you took the words right out of my mouth.

Ploe, be forewarned, a false accusation of plagiarism is - in fact - libel and Rory may have grounds for legal recourse.  However, if what you're saying is true, Rory may have commited a felonious action.  Wink

• User profile image
    jamie

...aka ..  MS Nintendo Xbox Technologies  Wink

( still think they will grab them... should have bought before wii though... back when speculation was high )

...rubber bullet...steves head....ARG!
    (no steves were hurt in the creation of this sarcasm)

• User profile image
    ploe

jBuelna wrote:

ploe wrote: 
    Rory wrote: 

you took the words right out of my mouth.

Ploe, be forewarned, a false accusation of plagiarism is - in fact - libel and Rory may have grounds for legal recourse.  However, if what you're saying is true, Rory may have commited a felonious action.  

haha Tongue Out

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.