Coffeehouse Thread

27 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

NYTIMES deals harshly with PS3

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    jsampsonPC
  • User profile image
    Rory

Whoah.

I think my opinion of the PS3 is fairly well known to anyone who's been reading the threads on it around here, but the fact that it doesn't ship with HD cables is astounding.

That would drive me insane. I mean, I was pissed when I hooked up my 360 using component cables but found it was still running in 480p (at first, I thought I was running in HD, and that was an even bigger disappointment).

But, one flip of a switch later, I was running in glorious 720p.

I can't believe you have to buy the HD cables for the PS3. I really can't.

That's about the dumbest move Sony's made, aside from its insane system architecture, lame game line-up, and confusing GDKs.

Wow.

• User profile image
    jsampsonPC

No doubt man. I don't know if it was a bigger mistake to release the PS3, or to release it without Cables Smiley Either way, things are not looking good for the console.

Of course its sales wouldn't be up if people actually did their homework Smiley

• User profile image
    Minh

jsampsonPC wrote:
    You heard me
    So, you read the NYTimes, eh? Interesting... Smiley

• User profile image
    Larry​Osterman

Wow, that review was harsh. 

I hadn't realized the thing about the HD cables - that's just stoopid.

The scary thing is I bet the HD cable thing was a cost saving measure.

• User profile image
    jsampsonPC

Minh wrote:

jsampsonPC wrote:You heard me
    So, you read the NYTimes, eh? Interesting...

Only the good portions Smiley

• User profile image
    jsampsonPC

Good news,

A buddy of mine here at the office just got back from Walmart where he said the cables are being sold for the low low price of $59.00 - Cheap, huh? Smiley

• User profile image
    Minh

Just to be clear, the PS3 ships without the HDMI cable, which is required to view Blu-Ray HD DVDs -- but not required to plug the PS3 into a HDTV -- which only requires component cables -- which comes standard w/ the PS3.

edit: Oh snap! So, it's true. The PS3 ships without component cables, just composite cables. Yikes!

So, out of the shop, you can't view Blu-Ray DVDs, but should be able to play games on hi-def allright. Not sure which games are in 720p, or 1080i, or 1080p, though. I doubt any games are doing 1080p yet.

• User profile image
    LaBomba

LarryOsterman wrote:

The scary thing is I bet the HD cable thing was a cost saving measure.

Well I thought that's why they removed rumble from their controllers? Thanks to this I hear their controllers feel cheap due to lack of actual weight (see: Cheap plastic toy feel). The 360 controllers p0wn the Sixaxis, but they still can't beat the Wiimote & Nunchuck combo.

In fairness to Sony, the Wii doesn't come with HD (Component) cables either, it comes with regular ol' composite, which from what I hear looks down right brutal on HDTVs.

Standard TV's no problem using composite, looks good, but if you have an HDTV set you need to call up Nintendo right now and order those Component cables (they aren't available in stores right now, and apparently won't be until December), even then they are said to be on backorder.

According to IGN, you can only get an order placed right now if you call them up.

• User profile image
    Human​Compiler

My biggest question is...

If the sales are horrible the first year, what's going to happen to the Sony giant?  Will they keep on trucking?  Who'll be fired?  Tongue Out

Now I just need to find a friend who has one so I can see for myself.

I liked how the article talked about one game for one paragraph.  This is why the PS3 will "fail", IMHO.  They were thinking 100% about the games and not the system as a whole.  That's where the Xbox 360 really sings and Nintendo has also seemed to have gotten that it's a living room device now, not just a gaming console.

• User profile image
    jsampsonPC

HumanCompiler wrote:

If the sales are horrible the first year, what's going to happen to the Sony giant?  Will they keep on trucking?  Who'll be fired? 

10 Bucks says they try to sell their business to Microsoft Smiley
    If I'm not mistaken, MS already *considered* working with (or purchasing?) Ninentendo some time back. If a deal like that gets initiated, it's over for Sony - no questions asked.

Maybe we should all watch Sony's stock? Smiley (This picture updates)
    By the looks of 2003, they've seen uglier times...

Sony Stock
    Last Six Months:

Microsoft On the Other Hand:
    Last Six Months:

And Finally, Nintendo
    Last Six Months:

• User profile image
    LaBomba

Despite what some analysts are predicting, I'm having a hard time believing with all that the 360 has going for it... Games (Gears of War, Halo 3) Xbox Live, the Marketplace, Live Arcade, Media Center functionality, easy game development, early console release; over 7 million consoles sold, combine that with the big pricetag of the PS3 and the amount of money Sony is losing on each console, how in the heck are some people expecting Sony to win this round?

The hole has been dug too deep, and from the problems we're seeing around their new console I don't think they can catch the 360.

J. Allard and the Xbox team had a great vision from the start. Word.

• User profile image
    LaBomba

HumanCompiler wrote:

If the sales are horrible the first year, what's going to happen to the Sony giant?  Will they keep on trucking?  Who'll be fired? 

Now I just need to find a friend who has one so I can see for myself.

I liked how the article talked about one game for one paragraph.  This is why the PS3 will "fail", IMHO.  They were thinking 100% about the games and not the system as a whole.  That's where the Xbox 360 really sings and Nintendo has also seemed to have gotten that it's a living room device now, not just a gaming console.

All I know is, if it's true as I've read in numerous places, that Sony is relying on the PS3 to revive them..

their goose is cooked.

• User profile image
    PerfectPhase

jsampsonPC wrote:
    Good news,

A buddy of mine here at the office just got back from Walmart where he said the cables are being sold for the low low price of $59.00 - Cheap, huh?

I just checked on amazon before I read you post $99!!  So I guess cost to sony about $5-10 at most for a cheap OEM, must have been desperate!

I wonder what else they skipped putting in the box to try to keep the price down?  Wonder what batteries they are using in the handsets Smiley

• User profile image
    andokai

Here's an interesting article that compares the PS3 to the XBox from a developers perspective.

• User profile image
    Harlequin

PerfectPhase wrote:
    Wonder what batteries they are using in the handsets

I believe they're rechargable via the USB cord. And the reason they need to be plugged into the PS3 to work is that they are Bluetooth. The plugging it in is probably for the security of Bluetooth.

• User profile image
    jsampsonPC

LaBomba wrote:
    ...how in the heck are some people expecting Sony to win this round?

The hole has been dug too deep, and from the problems we're seeing around their new console I don't think they can catch the 360...

Bwahahaha! Who expected Sony to win this round? Smiley That person must have been heavily medicated. Not only that, but this isn't even a race anymore - no chance of sony "catching" up to the 360. 360 and Wii are happily jogging along the 1-mile track (360 2 laps ahead of the wii), and the PS3 is 12ft from the starting-mark getting $600 CPR.

• User profile image
    Larry​Osterman

andokai wrote:
    Here's an interesting article that compares the PS3 to the XBox from a developers perspective.

Hmm.  Interesting article.

From TFA though:
    TFA wrote:
    Playing movies is very taxing on the DVD reader,

I'm not sure where he got that - playing movies is way easier than playing many games - DVD readers are much better at linear head motion than random access (think: games)

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.