Coffeehouse Thread

4 posts

Windows CardSpace - so what ?

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    nojetlag

So I have my Vista Machine ready but so far I didn't find any production website from Microsoft where I could use it. I always thought Microsoft is soo keen to eat their own dogfood. Not for CardSpace ? No MSDN, No Channel9 no Channel 10 support for this ? Is it another dead horse from the passport family or was 6 years not enough time to prepare for the arrival of CardSpace ?

• User profile image
    Gestalt

I agree with you with regards that there appears to be no effort on the part of MS to embrace it's newest technologies.  This is evidenced in so many areas within the last year.
    No full support for Vista in Visual Studio 2005 until AFTER VS2005-SP1
    Exchange 2007 continuing to use Jet for db instead of waiting a few additional months for SQL2005 to have it's code finalized
    No full support for SQL 2005 on Vista until AFTER SQL2005-SP2
    New DRM "Play's for sure" not being supported on Zune

I will, however, disagree that MS has ever been keen to 'eat it's own dogfood'.  Most of MS fringe technologies are never embraced by the parent organization.  Duplication of effort and intraorganizational infighting appear to be the norm with MS.  A great example would be the microsoft ebook format '.lit'.  Have you ever seen an ebook published from MS Press that arrived in the lit format?  They use MS classic CHM and PDF.

Personally, I'm hopeful that we'll see fruit from the new families of technologies shipping from MS.  I enjoy programming with VS2005 and SQL2005 and I've been very happy with my work on Vista so far.  Hopefully MS will come around and start playing more with their own toys.  If they do, I think we all will win. 

• User profile image
    nojetlag

Well the "dogfood" thing I always hear at their events. The evangelists seem to get this phrases put on their ROM when entering their job Smiley

I guess part of it is that MSFT just got too big, for me MSDN is just a very good example that they don't really know anymore what's going on. It's not consistent what MSFT does. Pieces of their new versions appear on connect, others appear on the regular download site, others again in MSDN. So as a subscriber of MSDN I would expect that all stuff would appear at least on MSDN or TechNet. So already how they present the stuff is very much inconsistent and that goes on for the products.

I'm also happily using VS Studio and I guess it's .NET and VS that keeps me in the MS Univers, but in recent years I can really feel how the corporation disintegrates (as I said I guess it's the size).

And it's very hard to sell a piece of technology if the producing company is not using the stuff by themselves Big Smile

• User profile image
    RichTurner

nojetlag wrote:
    So I have my Vista Machine ready but so far I didn't find any production website from Microsoft where I could use it. I always thought Microsoft is soo keen to eat their own dogfood. Not for CardSpace ? No MSDN, No Channel9 no Channel 10 support for this ?

Good question. As you know, all Microsoft websites support authentication through username/password and/or LiveID (nee Passport). Rather than add just another random sign-in mechanism, we opted to wait for LiveID CardSpace support to arrive. When is this going to happen? Soon! Wink

nojetlag wrote:
    Is it another dead horse from the passport family or was 6 years not enough time to prepare for the arrival of CardSpace ?

Just so we're clear, CardSpace and LiveID are delivered from entirely different groups within Microsoft.

Sometimes we have to wait for things to synch up - this is one of those cases.

If you do want to play with CardSpace, you could, of course, go try out the Sandbox: http://sandbox.netfx3.com

Comments closed

Comments have been closed since this content was published more than 30 days ago, but if you'd like to continue the conversation, please create a new thread in our Forums, or Contact Us and let us know.