Coffeehouse Thread

23 posts

XPS file format... As usualy...

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    BlackTiger

I've installed Office 2007 and PDF/XPS plug-in.

So... XPS - half-done work, as usualy...

My problem is: I CANNOT NORMALLY VIEW XPS FILES!

Ok. I have Firefox as default browser. I have FW3.0 installed. I have XPSViewer.exe in WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\XPSViewer folder.
    Everything seems ok.

But... XPSViewer.exe isn't actually an "exe"! When I'm trying to open freshly created xps by double-clicking on it it's opens in... Firefox! With "Save as" dialog!

Ok. I'm trying to open using "Open With" menu option in XPSViewer. It opens in... FIREFOX! I'm trying to execute XPSViewer.exe alone - nothing has happened, it's not a normal application.

Here is only one way to open XPS file - in... Internet Explorer! because XPSViewer actually is just a IE plug-in.

So... Even bloody AdobeReader has COM-interface to embed pdfs into any application! Where is COM interface to view XPSes?!?!

If you stumbled and fell down, it doesn't mean yet, that you're going in the wrong direction.
    Last modified
  • User profile image
    ZippyV

This sucks indeed. There is no reason for a non-html document to open in Internet Explorer. No matter if it's a Word, Excel, Powerpoint, PDF or XPS document. I want to open them in their own environment, not IE.

• User profile image
    staceyw

BlackTiger wrote:

Ok. I have Firefox as default browser. I have FW3.0 installed. I have XPSViewer.exe in WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\XPSViewer folder.
    Everything seems ok.

But... XPSViewer.exe isn't actually an "exe"! When I'm trying to open freshly created xps by double-clicking on it it's opens in... Firefox! With "Save as" dialog!

Ok. I'm trying to open using "Open With" menu option in XPSViewer. It opens in... FIREFOX! I'm trying to execute XPSViewer.exe alone - nothing has happened, it's not a normal application.

Here is only one way to open XPS file - in... Internet Explorer! because XPSViewer actually is just a IE plug-in.

So... Even bloody AdobeReader has COM-interface to embed pdfs into any application! Where is COM interface to view XPSes?!?!

AFAICT, this is normal behavior.  If you have fx3.0 installed, it opens in the browser (mine opens in IE, you said yours opens in FF).  Is viewing in FF an issue for you?  If you don't have fx3.0,you can download and use the standalone viewer:
    http://www.microsoft.com/whdc/xps/viewxps.mspx 

That is my understanding from reading the link.  So I am guessing that if you have fx3.0 installed the behavior is browser.  Maybe their is some reg entry you could change if you really need the standaone viewer.  I assume they will ship a VS XPS control at some point.

• User profile image
    nwoolls

The problem is you *cant* view it in Firefox. The OS tries to use Firefox to open the XPS. Then, Firefox prompts for you to Open or Save the file. If you choose Open, then rinse and repeat: Firefox prompts for you to Open or Save the file.

Loading Image

Click anywhere to cancel

Image is Unavailable

• User profile image
    joem83

Just associate it with IE.  What is the problem.   Does your IE not work.

BlackTiger wrote:

Everything seems ok.

• User profile image
    nwoolls

If you just associate XPS's with IE, then you lose the nice live preview in the thumbnail.

Loading Image

Click anywhere to cancel

Image is Unavailable

• User profile image
    joem83

I didn't have this problem on the one test machine I use to test FF.

nwoolls wrote:
    If you just associate XPS's with IE, then you lose the nice live preview in the thumbnail.

Loading Image

Click anywhere to cancel

Image is Unavailable

• User profile image
    jvervoorn

Stacyw said:
    "If you don't have fx3.0,you can download and use the standalone viewer:
    http://www.microsoft.com/whdc/xps/viewxps.mspx "

I have .net 3.0 installed and xps files were comming up slower then mollases in January at the north pole (Boy that's pretty slow). I went ahead and installed the viewer and now they come up as quick as a wink. Thanks!!!

• User profile image
    Jazzynupe

BlackTiger wrote:

Everything seems ok.

Well I see several problems why they had to stop at an ActiveX control for viewing. XPS is the default print format in Vista so XPS is always there.  But remember when office was going to create PDFs and XPS by default, remember all that? Well I see why a native viewer is not in the OS by default. FireFox does not support ActiveX so therefore until a plugin is written for it, you can't view it in Firefox. But anyone is able to use the specs to create one.

• User profile image
    xemi

Same thing happened to me.

try to download Microsoft XML Paper Specification Essentials Pack from this link http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=4A7B8983-7BE1-4740-BC9C-D377A8F2D6EB&displaylang=en

after intall you will be able to see any XPS file. with any problem. Smiley

• User profile image
    xemi

without* Tongue Out

• User profile image
    austegard

Install the IETab extension from http://ietab.mozdev.org/
    Add a filter for xps extensions or modify the mht filter to read:
    /^file:\/\/\/.*\.(mht|mhtml|xps)$/

Presto - XPS docs open in an IE tab within Firefox.

• User profile image
    BlackTiger

xemi wrote:

Same thing happened to me.

try to download Microsoft XML Paper Specification Essentials Pack from this link http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=4A7B8983-7BE1-4740-BC9C-D377A8F2D6EB&displaylang=en

after intall you will be able to see any XPS file. with any problem.

I have Vista. This pack is incompatible with Vista.

I've just developed small app to open XPS in WebBrowser control and associated "xps" with my app. Not a big deal, but semi-baked features are boring.
    BTW, XPSViewer in Vista isn't quite normal ActiveX (actually it's "not executable executable"), and it's not available as COM component, or has another name.

If you stumbled and fell down, it doesn't mean yet, that you're going in the wrong direction.
    Last modified
  • User profile image
    bradlycouch

~ I OWE YOU for SAVING me a lot of TROUBLE!

THANK YOU!!!!!

Bradly

• User profile image
    turrican

staceyw said:
    BlackTiger wrote:

Everything seems ok.

AFAICT, this is normal behavior.  If you have fx3.0 installed, it opens in the browser (mine opens in IE, you said yours opens in FF).  Is viewing in FF an issue for you?  If you don't have fx3.0,you can download and use the standalone viewer:
    http://www.microsoft.com/whdc/xps/viewxps.mspx 

That is my understanding from reading the link.  So I am guessing that if you have fx3.0 installed the behavior is browser.  Maybe their is some reg entry you could change if you really need the standaone viewer.  I assume they will ship a VS XPS control at some point.

"AFAICT"?

That is a really odd shortcut, how long before we barely make sense to each other?

I mean,

TIAROS, HLBWBMSTEO?

• User profile image
    Meshuggah

turrican said:
    staceyw said:
    *snip*

"AFAICT"?

That is a really odd shortcut, how long before we barely make sense to each other?

I mean,

TIAROS, HLBWBMSTEO?

Ok, so this is a really old post, but the problem still exists in 2009! what the hell? As annoying as it is, there is a MUCH simpler work around. Open IE first then drag the xps file into the browser. BINGO! it displays the info you need to see. Thanks for listenting.

Mesh

• User profile image
    intelman

As ranty as the first post is, XPS viewing is annoying. It should be a separate application or something. I guess I am thankful that PDF is much more popular. Though adobe reader isn't that great either.

• User profile image
    Sven Groot

intelman said:

As ranty as the first post is, XPS viewing is annoying. It should be a separate application or something. I guess I am thankful that PDF is much more popular. Though adobe reader isn't that great either.

In Windows 7 it's a separate application.

Comments closed

Comments have been closed since this content was published more than 30 days ago, but if you'd like to continue the conversation, please create a new thread in our Forums, or Contact Us and let us know.