Coffeehouse Thread

5 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

How to get back to single boot after making it dual boot with Vista ??

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    jigarmehtam​scit

Hi,

I installed the beta version of vista available before sometime on MSDN, and made my computer dual boot (Windows XP was already there on c:\; vista was intalled on G:\)

Now, I want to remove the beta version of vista from the harddisk and freeup that space. My boot up menu shows me Vista and Earlier OS (which might live somewhere on C:\boot.ini - as per the legacy tradition.. but if I see the boot.ini, it says,
    ;
    ;Warning: Boot.ini is used on Windows XP and earlier operating systems.
    ;Warning: Use BCDEDIT.exe to modify Windows Vista boot options.
    ;

I tried looking at BCDEDIT.exe but could not find anything by which I can remove the Vista Entry safely  (and after that, i will format the g:\ where i installed the vista, i think that will clean it and thats what i want.. i can not take risk of putting my XP system at risk !!)

Any help appreciated !!

Regards,
    Jigar

• User profile image
    jvs_ca

See: 

Installing and uninstalling Vista Beta for dual-boot with XP

:OWarning: I didn't test it yet. Make a backup first of your XP partition.

Enjoy!

• User profile image
    figuerres

jigarmehtamscit wrote:
    Hi,

I installed the beta version of vista available before sometime on MSDN, and made my computer dual boot (Windows XP was already there on c:\; vista was intalled on G:\)

Now, I want to remove the beta version of vista from the harddisk and freeup that space. My boot up menu shows me Vista and Earlier OS (which might live somewhere on C:\boot.ini - as per the legacy tradition.. but if I see the boot.ini, it says,
    ;
    ;Warning: Boot.ini is used on Windows XP and earlier operating systems.
    ;Warning: Use BCDEDIT.exe to modify Windows Vista boot options.
    ;

I tried looking at BCDEDIT.exe but could not find anything by which I can remove the Vista Entry safely  (and after that, i will format the g:\ where i installed the vista, i think that will clean it and thats what i want.. i can not take risk of putting my XP system at risk !!)

Any help appreciated !!

Regards,
    Jigar

http://www.vistabootpro.org/

used it on two pc's w/o any problems...

install, pick options, done.

• User profile image
    jigarmehtam​scit

Hey,

Thanks for the solution.

VistaBootPro is a very good piece of software. It shows BCDEDIT is so complex that some third party develops very good GUI tool to manipulate with it.

Anyways, it works for me.

• User profile image
    figuerres

jigarmehtamscit wrote:
    Hey,

Thanks for the solution.

VistaBootPro is a very good piece of software. It shows BCDEDIT is so complex that some third party develops very good GUI tool to manipulate with it.

Anyways, it works for me.

yeah a tool like that should have been built to ship with vista, and like the pro networks tool it should install on xp for the same reasons....

Smiley

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.