Coffeehouse Thread

21 posts

What idiot made the zune and wmp databases seperate?

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    blowdart

I went on a metadata fix up yesterday, and did it all inside WMP because that's my usual player.

And nothing reflected into Zune.

Then I fixed missing album art.

And lo, none of it reflected into Zune.

Must track down Zune PM and strangle him with sync cord. Except you can't buy a sync cord on its own, and so it would mean no more Zune if I broke the cord. *GRRRR*

• User profile image
    Refrax
  • User profile image
    Harlequin

If MusicMatch 10 could transfer music to a Nano, I'd be in heaven [A]

• User profile image
    blowdart

Refrax wrote:

Woohoo! They weren't out when I bought the device, so I didn't know if they had hit the shops. Of course this now means I must go to Circuit City tomorrow; which apparently will be insane, but as I fly back Saturday I have little choice.

Thank you.

• User profile image
    Harlequin

That's one thing the Zune has over the Nano, you can't listen to the Nano when it's charging if I remember right(mine was stolen).

• User profile image
    blowdart

Harlequin wrote:
    That's one thing the Zune has over the Nano, you can't listen to the Nano when it's charging if I remember right(mine was stolen).

Yea, the Zune just sits there with the throbber. What would really rock would be reverse streaming, i.e. play music on the Zune via the PC. Redchair's Notmad Explorer for Creative Labs devices does this and it's really handy. I would love to reclaim the 15Gb of music on my hard drive.

It's also a shame it didn't sync automatically when I changed the artist meta data, I had to resync the tracks manually.

And I thought it was supposed to start the zune software when I plugged it into the computer. It managed to do that once, *shrug*

• User profile image
    Rossj

blowdart wrote:
    What would really rock would be reverse streaming, i.e. play music on the Zune via the PC.

Via wifi.

• User profile image
    Rossj

At least you can use it as a USB disk now (but not over wifi).

If this is true, my money is on DRM hacks by xmas.

• User profile image
    blowdart

Rossj wrote:
    At least you can use it as a USB disk now (but not over wifi).

Not worried about DRM hacks so much myself, but external drive as a standard feature would work. A hack, well, hmm, not so much.

• User profile image
    Rossj

blowdart wrote:

Rossj wrote:At least you can use it as a USB disk now (but not over wifi).

Not worried about DRM hacks so much myself, but external drive as a standard feature would work. A hack, well, hmm, not so much.

I still don't understand why Microsoft didn't allow it to do this OOB. Nor why the wifi is so restricted. Doesn't make any sense to me.

• User profile image
    borosen

Rossj wrote:

blowdart wrote:
    Rossj wrote:At least you can use it as a USB disk now (but not over wifi).

I still don't understand why Microsoft didn't allow it to do this OOB. Nor why the wifi is so restricted. Doesn't make any sense to me.

That will come in the next enhanced version...

• User profile image
    Ion Todirel

blowdart wrote:
    What idiot made the zune and wmp databases seperate?
    Its a good thing that they separate databases. The problem is that WMP is stupid and cannot update the Zune database.

• User profile image
    Ion Todirel

I was wondering what format WMP is using for media library? Specifications somewhere?

• User profile image
    blowdart

Ion Todirel wrote:

blowdart wrote:What idiot made the zune and wmp databases seperate?
    Its a good thing that they separate databases. The problem is that WMP is stupid and cannot update the Zune database.

Why? It's not like the Zune database adds anything more, except perhaps a list of what's synced and whats not. And you could keep that seperate.

Using your logic the Zune player is stupid because when I update metadata in it the WMP database doesn't get updated. Heck you know under the hood it's the same code, it looks the same, it acts the same it's just they added a different marketplace and different sync options. There's no real reason, aside from branding, to not have used WMP

• User profile image
    blowdart

The other bugbear I have is with radio. It doesn't seem to be able to go up and down the frequencies looking for stations, it's all manual. And there's no way to mark stations you like. Oops it does, I just didn't realise it. But you can't name stations you save.

Also stations in the UK broadcast their station name, and I doubt that will be supported either.

• User profile image
    ScanIAm

blowdart wrote:

Ion Todirel wrote: 
    blowdart wrote: What idiot made the zune and wmp databases seperate?

Why? It's not like the Zune database adds anything more, except perhaps a list of what's synced and whats not. And you could keep that seperate.

Using your logic the Zune player is stupid because when I update metadata in it the WMP database doesn't get updated. Heck you know under the hood it's the same code, it looks the same, it acts the same it's just they added a different marketplace and different sync options. There's no real reason, aside from branding, to not have used WMP

I'm not touching the thing until the wireless does WiFi like any retarded monkey would expect it to.

I'm getting the distinct feeling that Zune was a great idea that somehow got screwed by a marketroid or two.

What idiot thought that only reason to put in an antenna was so you could trade songs between people on a crowded subway? 

That guy/gal needs to take a drug test and get some counselling.

• User profile image
    blowdart

ScanIAm wrote:

I'm not touching the thing until the wireless does WiFi like any retarded monkey would expect it to.

I'm getting the distinct feeling that Zune was a great idea that somehow got screwed by a marketroid or two.

Yea, and it needs work. The radio UI sucks. You only see album art when browsing albums, unlike inside the Zune software or WMP which creates a disconnect when using it. You can't delete music on the device by using the device (WTF?!). And even though the Zune Marketplace is isn't available in the UK the software still brings back search results from it - damnit just shut up already about something I can't use.

But I needed a new player anyway, the album UI is lovely, it just feels unfinished. Thank goodness it supports easy updating.

• User profile image
    Ion Todirel

blowdart wrote:

Ion Todirel wrote: 
    blowdart wrote: What idiot made the zune and wmp databases seperate?

Agree, i just tought that Zune its working like an iPod, where adding new files requires updating a database stored on iPod_Control\iTunes. Whithout it iPod cant see anything. Okey this really sucks.

Comments closed

Comments have been closed since this content was published more than 30 days ago, but if you'd like to continue the conversation, please create a new thread in our Forums, or Contact Us and let us know.