Coffeehouse Thread

24 posts

RSS Readers

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    conkerjoe

What RSS reader do you use.
    I personally prefer my rss reader to be outside my web browser.. although the RSS reader in IE7 is very good. it doesnt notify me of new items.. unless i open IE.

What RSS reader do you use and why did you choose that over something else?

• User profile image
    blowdart

conkerjoe wrote:
    I personally prefer my rss reader to be outside my web browser.. although the RSS reader in IE7 is very good. it doesnt notify me of new items.. unless i open IE.

At the moment FeedDemon, because Newsgator has massive performance problems in Outlook 2007. Once that gets fixed it's back to Newsgator Inbox for me.

• User profile image
    Raghavendra_​Mudugal

conkerjoe wrote:

In fact, I created my own in vb.net 2k3. Its simple to do. So I use it much of time to read news, Its not that good, but it serves my purpose. Big Smile But its fun in using our own apps and also we can learn.

• User profile image
    eagle

Check-out this thread.

I still use Bloglines, but Google Reader Rocks!

• User profile image
    conkerjoe

cool... plenty to choose from Big Smile

• User profile image
    Dr Herbie

I use RSS Bandit because it minimises to the task bar, pops up messages when feeds update and it's free.

That's pretty much all I need of an RSS reader. Smiley

Herbie

• User profile image
    sc00ter

I haven't used a reader in a long time, but have checked out a few of them.  Google's GReader is really nice, all using AJAX.  I the other one I'd prefer more than anything (since the last time I looked into reader apps) is RSSBandit. SharpReader came in close. 

• User profile image
    ben2004uk

I use RSS Bandit.   Two issues tho, wish it would open links in IE and not its open browser (or use the IE control).  New alerts pop up ontop of WMP and VLC when watching DVD....Other than that its great!

• User profile image
    Zeus
  • User profile image
    Massif

I use the built-in support in IE7, but then I don't want pop-ups, newspaper views or anything else for that matter, so it's perfect.

At the moment I'm using Win2K for work (cries) so I'm using Firefox, which I don't like quite as much for RSS.

• User profile image
    Echostorm

Desktop Sidebar FTW Smiley

• User profile image
    Harlequin

FeedDemon all the way.

RSS Bandit kept leaking subscriptions into each other, so it ended up being a big mess.

• User profile image
    Rich2k

I wrote my own in C# 2003 just because I wanted to.  Finally got it from a bit of software I actually didn't use myself to actually using it all the time!

In fact I'm actually posting this from within it!

• User profile image
    Gberg

outlook 2007 for now.

• User profile image
    Custa1200

Google Reader coz I can use at both work and home with ease.

• User profile image
    p-mec

google reader - i can use it anywhere

• User profile image
    CyberGeek

For the most part, I've just bookmarked feeds in Safari, and it's worked well enough. Whenever a feed updates, the number of new items appears as a number next to the feed name, so I can check feeds when they update, and only when they update.

Lately, however, I decided to take a stab at writing my own web-based reader. It's in the very early stages (hence the URL to it is obscured in the screenshot), but it's been fun to write. It makes very heavy use of Ajax.

• User profile image
    bitdisaster

SharpReader is my favorit.

Comments closed

Comments have been closed since this content was published more than 30 days ago, but if you'd like to continue the conversation, please create a new thread in our Forums, or Contact Us and let us know.