Coffeehouse Thread

1,023 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

Secret Offer - Free Vista or Office 2007 for Developers

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    raymond

Great marketing campaign!Big Smile

Cool

• User profile image
    Mark Brown

raymond wrote:
    Great marketing campaign!

Thanks!!! Just a blind squirrel trying to find a nut Smiley

• User profile image
    kmcnich

i got in but after putting in the shipping info it said A server error occured, gotta keep trying

• User profile image
    simeyla

Are you people all completely stupid?

Go to register.com and type in powertogether.com

The domain is registered to someone in London, England in an apartment !
    The nameservers are at msft.com (obviously meant to sound like microsoft)
    but if you look this up its registered to NaturalProducts.com in Pensylvania, and the admin conact is in Vermont!

This is as fishy as fishy pie with extra fish on the side.

Doesn't sound like a microsoft tactic at all anyway.

This channel 9 promotion thread is not enough to convince me. I mean cmon someone called 'Mark Brown' says its true. What knid of generic name is that!!

This reminds me of when someone tried to say that the Nikon D70 camera was going to get a FIRMWARE upgrade to support bluetooth. First of all theres absolutely no bluetooth in the D70, and secondly bluetooth is the slowest wireless protocol there is and completely unsuited to transferring photos.

• User profile image
    Xaero_​Vincent

Mark Brown is a Microsoft employee who I believe works in the
    product marketing division.

Netcraft gives further clues that DNS server is Microsoft owned and the web server is IIS 6 running on Windows Server 2003.

I'm not skeptical about the site's lagitimacy.

Regards.
    Vincent

• User profile image
    The J

"While supplies last..." Just out of curiosity, how big are these supplies? In other words, will there be any point in trying again in a week or so if I can't get this working right now?

• User profile image
    Cannot​Resolve​Symbol

simeyla wrote:
    Are you people all completely stupid?

Go to register.com and type in powertogether.com

The domain is registered to someone in London, England in an apartment !
    The nameservers are at msft.com (obviously meant to sound like microsoft)
    but if you look this up its registered to NaturalProducts.com in Pensylvania, and the admin conact is in Vermont!

This is as fishy as fishy pie with extra fish on the side...

If it is a scam, either:

(1) It's the most elaborate phishing scheme ever - involving hacking Channel 9 accounts (Mark Brown has been here on a regular basis and is a MSFT employee), registering websites with Microsoft nameservers (look closer, it's ns*.msft.net, the same servers which handle all of Microsoft's traffic), hacking the Passport/Live ID service to display legitimate login pages from login.live.com branded with the PowerTogether logo and feed information from the users' passport into the address and name fields, hacking MSDN webcasts to interoperate with their site, etc.

(2) Someone on the inside with access to all the above is scamming people.  That would be stupid, as the person taking credit for it (Mark Brown) is using his own name.  He's been on the forums here before, and unless his account's been compromised, it really is him.

I doubt that either is the case, but I'm still not going to participate, because Microsoft has no business with my Social Security number.  Surely there is some way that they could run this so that they don't need one--  that's what makes this still seem fishy to me.

• User profile image
    JKelley

CannotResolveSymbol wrote:

I doubt that either is the case, but I'm still not going to participate, because Microsoft has no business with my Social Security number.  Surely there is some way that they could run this so that they don't need one--  that's what makes this still seem fishy to me.

WE don't want your SSN, the government does.  Smiley  I realize that's a fine distinction, but Mark did explain what happens, if the prize value is over a certain amount you have to file the proper paper work so you can pay taxes on it. 

I'm sure if you went on Wheel of Fortune (the Wheel just started behind me), and won, you'd have the same issue.

Having said that, a healthy skepticism around giving out that number is a good thing to have.  Too many places try to use it when they shouldn't.

• User profile image
    winlonghorn​06

Hi Mark, do we earn it if we have watched the on demand webcasts? I have watched 3 already and how do we know if we have completed the offer? Will we get an email?

• User profile image
    Xaero_​Vincent

Pin thread?

• User profile image
    Xaero_​Vincent

Message removed.

• User profile image
    Mark Brown

winlonghorn06 wrote:
    Hi Mark, do we earn it if we have watched the on demand webcasts? I have watched 3 already and how do we know if we have completed the offer? Will we get an email?

Yes, you get it if you watch either the live or on demand webcasts. You should get an email saying your qualified for the product if you're done.

It may take a little time since I think they run these in a batch job. Also the site will say In Progress for a while as well on your status. That also runs as a batch as well so if you've watched all three in one day you should see that you're complete the following day and get an email shortly after that.

Apologies for any delays.

• User profile image
    winlonghorn​06

Ok, thank you very much for the help. I will look forward to getting Vista. It is an incredible operating system. Smiley

• User profile image
    bitdisaster

Germany belongs to US, right?Big Smile

• User profile image
    bart7simpso​n7

I totally don't understand why you can't watch the webcasts without being US citizen. I clicked NO, I don't want any presents, and still you have to complete a form in order to watch the webcasts. I thought your purpose was to make as many people as you can to watch it. If I have to give false dates in order to do that it kind of turns my enthusiasm off. The server error made it impossible anyway, but still. At least if someone says no to presents make another form where you can choose your country. I am sure you will make good use of a worldwide map of interest in the technologies that you promote.

• User profile image
    Ang3lFir3

I finally get in and come to find out I don't even qualify (I work for a MSFT Partner and MSDN subscriber) argh!!!!

• User profile image
    j0217995

Watched my first webcast and it shows that its still pending... do I need to do anything else?

• User profile image
    Mark Brown

j0217995 wrote:
    Watched my first webcast and it shows that its still pending... do I need to do anything else?

The system takes a while to update your status. I believe they update these once a day. It shouldn't prevent you from watching others though.

regards,
    mark

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.