Coffeehouse Thread

6 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

Nice Vids Rory

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    Tominator20​05

Hey Rory,

hows it going?

Your vidoes rock!

XNA looks totally cool!

Im a developer too ( Haven't written anything cool )
    The last app I wrote was for a college project that sorted out
    football team scores in VB6, but I think .NET is totally cool.

I'd like to become a professional programmer but in good old Sheffield, UK there arnt many IT positions available and the ones that are, require at least 2 - 5 yrs experience.

But back to what I was saying, keep up the good work Rory! Smiley

• User profile image
    Dr Herbie

Tominator2005 wrote:
    Hey Rory,

hows it going?

Your vidoes rock!

XNA looks totally cool!

Im a developer too ( Haven't written anything cool )
    The last app I wrote was for a college project that sorted out
    football team scores in VB6, but I think .NET is totally cool.

I'd like to become a professional programmer but in good old Sheffield, UK there arnt many IT positions available and the ones that are, require at least 2 - 5 yrs experience.

But back to what I was saying, keep up the good work Rory!

Lack of programming jobs is a similar story in the West Midlands.
    I move up from Hampshire at the start of this year.  Tons of jobs in Hampshore/Bershire, but took nearly a year to find a decent one in Shropshire/South Cheshire

Keep looking, there are a few good jobs around. Good luck.

Herbie

• User profile image
    Tominator20​05

Thanks Herbie,

Yeah I know, I've looked all around Sheffield. and there are IT Jobs in Leeds and Rotheram and even in Doncaster. The thing is I can't commute since I can't and will never drive.

It's getting 2yrs experience, I was thinking of going to Sheffield Hallam Uni, to get do a degree in Software Engineering but by the time I'd come out, it wouldn't be worth it. I'm 27 now, and the course would be 3 yrs + 1 yr Work Experience.

I'd preferbly like to do paid work experience for a year.

As my fellow friend says "You cant get work without experience, and you cant get experience without work" Catch 22 situation.

Many Thanks

Tom

• User profile image
    Tensor

There is definately more IT stuff in Leeds, allthough there does seem to me to be a fair amount in Sheffield. There is hardly any in Rotherham / Doncaster / Barnsley (allthough having said that I am currently contracting in Doncaster). York is pretty good too for the size, as is Harrogate.

To be honest you are going to struggle if you cant commute more than a bus trip.

• User profile image
    Tominator20​05

Thanks Tensor,

I can commute around Sheffield, such as getting a bus into the town center than a tram to outer parts. But thats as far as I can go.

I can't drive, and due to my disability I will never be able to.

Trains arn't a problem, but timing is, I can get a train to leeds and I will be quite often now that one of my friends lives there.

The problem is getting a train early enough in the morning, unless employers don't mind me arriving around 1 O'clock in the afternoon.

That's the only problem.

I have 5 yrs college experience in VB6, and 3 Months exp in C++ through a online course I did through LearnDirect.

I've also started to learn C#. I am familiar with PHP/MySQL, I can work with ASP as well as ASP.NET (if its virtually the same with ASP).

I'd like to work in a team of programmers ideally.

Thanks

Tom

• User profile image
    Tensor

Lucky Sheffield is quite easy to get around by public transport! At least it was back when I lived there.

The first job is allways the hardest to get, but keep going and you'll get there.

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.