Coffeehouse Thread

13 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

Should I install Windows Vista?

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    geeky123

Although I have a copy of Windows Vista through my Msdn subscription and am dying to install it, I hear some pretty negative reviews on the web.

Firstly, almost everyone says that upgrading from  xp is a bad idea and i should do a clean install.  This is not an option in my case since i have a lot of programs installed and i dont want to spend an entire week backing up and reinstalling them again.

My laptops config is -
    Core Duo 2 ghz
    1 gb ram
    ge force go 7600 (128 vram)
    5400 rom sata hd

The vista upgrade advisor says it will have problems with my sound card and bluetooth.

Will this setup give a reasonable performance with Windows Vista?

I have heard from a lot of people that Vista is super slow and that the nvidia drivers are way too buggy right now.

So with all these comments I am a little afraid to go ahead with the upgrade.

What is your opinion?

• User profile image
    Sabot

Simple answer is ... not yet!

There isn't a Nvidia Geforce driver for the 7600 Go graphics card yet because I have the same problem.

I couldn't wait and installed Vista and found out the hard way.

... now I've restored back to XP till there is a driver from Tosh/Nvidia.

• User profile image
    tribalcactus

Most drivers can be found at laptopvideo2go.com.  They have ported the drivers that nVidia provides so that they support the Go cards.

As far as performance - I'd think it ought to do fine.  I'm running Vista RTM on the following setup at home, and it doesn't seem to have any problems.  I don't use it on battery because, well, the battery life already sucked.  It's an HP Pavilion ZD7000 (17" monster).

p-4 2.66Ghz
    512mb RAM
    40gb HDD
    64mb GeForceFX 5200 Go

I'm using the drivers from the above website to enable Aero Glass support.

• User profile image
    RamblingGeek​UK

I'm running it at on a Core2 DUO 6600, 3GB RAM, NVIDIA GeForce 7600GT.

I'm loving Vista....  It's just a very nice to use. I'm not ran into any issue's with sofware as of yet....

• User profile image
    Jack Poison

geeky123 wrote:
    Although I have a copy of Windows Vista through my Msdn subscription and am dying to install it, I hear some pretty negative reviews on the web.

Firstly, almost everyone says that upgrading from  xp is a bad idea and i should do a clean install.  This is not an option in my case since i have a lot of programs installed and i dont want to spend an entire week backing up and reinstalling them again.

My laptops config is -
    Core Duo 2 ghz
    1 gb ram
    5400 rom sata hd

The vista upgrade advisor says it will have problems with my sound card and bluetooth.

I have heard from a lot of people that Vista is super slow and that the nvidia drivers are way too buggy right now.

What is your opinion?

Out of curiousity, where are the "negative reviews" from?

• User profile image
    bitmask

I'm holding out for better nVidia drivers. The current drivers don't support my LCD's native resolution. I'm also hoping the mobile device center comes out of beta soon. I need to synch a Windows mobile 5 device before I can use Vista day to day.

• User profile image
    Sabot

tribalcactus wrote:
    Most drivers can be found at laptopvideo2go.com.  They have ported the drivers that nVidia provides so that they support the Go cards.

I've tried this option and I can happily get the desktop to work just fine but anything that uses the DirectX system will happily blue-screen my laptop.

• User profile image
    geeky123

Jack Poison wrote:

geeky123 wrote:Although I have a copy of Windows Vista through my Msdn subscription and am dying to install it, I hear some pretty negative reviews on the web.

My laptops config is -
    Core Duo 2 ghz
    1 gb ram
    5400 rom sata hd

What is your opinion?

Out of curiousity, where are the "negative reviews" from?

Here are a couple of them -

This one in channel 9 itself -
    http://channel9.msdn.com/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=258159

This one doesnt look too good either -
    http://arstechnica.com/guides/tweaks/vintagevista.ars

On the other hand, I would love to see some positive reviews of Windows Vista Wink

• User profile image
    SkiRacer2144

tribalcactus wrote:

As far as performance - I'd think it ought to do fine.  I'm running Vista RTM on the following setup at home, and it doesn't seem to have any problems.  I don't use it on battery because, well, the battery life already sucked.  It's an HP Pavilion ZD7000 (17" monster).

p-4 2.66Ghz
    512mb RAM
    40gb HDD
    64mb GeForceFX 5200 Go

I'm using the drivers from the above website to enable Aero Glass support.

tribalcactus,

I just installed Vista Business this week, and tried the drivers from LaptoVideo2Go and couldn't get any of them to work to enable Aero. I am running the same hardware as you (ZD7010us). Can you please point me to exactly what set of drivers (and modded inf) i need to get Aero working?

Thanks in advanced.

P.S. I know 64mb wont support Aero, but I've heard people getting it to work with the modded drivers.

• User profile image
    Skriker V1.0

Thats just lazy...do a clean install...also you should always check compat with your hardware beforehand...that way you wont run into problems Wink

• User profile image
    Raghavendra_​Mudugal

geeky123 wrote:

On the other hand, I would love to see some positive reviews of Windows Vista

See this post

nVIDIA for desktop, I guess they are ready for Vista.

and, on the hand...

ATI Radeon, Yup!, they too.

• User profile image
    Mikyt

geeky123 wrote:

My laptops config is -
    Core Duo 2 ghz
    1 gb ram
    5400 rom sata hd

What is your opinion?

First , I think you should try to install it on your machine. And then you will know Windows Vista is worth of being installed or not.

Just take a try.

• User profile image
    Raghavendra_​Mudugal

AMD and Microsoft Vista supporting. Cool Link Smiley

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.