Coffeehouse Thread

28 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

Not very happy with MSDN Forums

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    dahat

littleguru wrote:
    Could you point me at the connect page/sub page where I can file the bugs?

Your best bet on the forums is the Bug Reporting forum: http://forums.microsoft.com/MSDN/ShowForum.aspx?ForumID=53&SiteID=1

littleguru wrote:
    But they need a great search experience[

That is an item that is in the works as we speak and is already pretty nifty (although not well known and only a Windows app) and part of something much bigger.

• User profile image
    Frank​Palinkas

Ciao mio bello Commendatore,

Check out this MSFT Connect Bug Report page:

https://connect.microsoft.com/VisualStudio/Feedback

I've got one in there now for markup corrections needed to be made to online MSDN pages...

Hope this helps,

Frank

• User profile image
    littleguru

Grazie. I didn't know that the Visual Studio feedback forums should be used for the MSDN forums feedback. Strange!

• User profile image
    Frank​Palinkas

Prego. Yes, if you search in the dropdown list for the MSDN topic, you won't find one (unless I missed it somehow). So I used the VS one as closest to what I thought as appropriate.

My report is on correction of markup...removal of the xml prolog and comment preceeding the xhtml dtd, which occurs on almost every online MSDN page. The current markup used in these web pages puts IE6 & IE7 into QuirksMode and results with Syntax errors every time a dev wants to access these pages for info. This problem is quite well know amongst web designers, so don't ask me why these pages are written like this.  It's driving quite a few users out of their skulls.

Hope you get your items posted.

Ciao,

Ciccio

• User profile image
    Pace

littleguru, please remember;

Enter is a new paragraph.
    Shift + Enter is a new line.

• User profile image
    BrianH

Hey littleguru,

Feel free to contact me as well -- I'm the Product Manager for the forums on the Community Technologies Team (TechNet and MSDN Blogs, forums, Tagspace, etc).  Many of the points you raise wrt the post editor, search, and UI are being worked on for the next version of the forums.  As we're working to improve the overall experience, your comments couldn't be more timely.

best regards,
    brian

• User profile image
    Lee_Dale

One thing that got me about them forums was, I used to regulary go on there to see if I could answer anyones problems. However I found that I would answer someones question in detail spend a bit of time on the answer and get sod all recognition.

Then a 'MOD' would come along say 'look here' post some MSDN article and give himself the credit. GRRRRR!

I got over it eventually but only just Expressionless

• User profile image
    littleguru

Pace wrote:
    littleguru, please remember;

Enter is a new paragraph.
    Shift + Enter is a new line.

Thanks Wink Well I knew that, but it's so much fun to copy and paste code and rework all the code.

• User profile image
    littleguru

BrianH wrote:
    Hey littleguru,

Feel free to contact me as well -- I'm the Product Manager for the forums on the Community Technologies Team (TechNet and MSDN Blogs, forums, Tagspace, etc).  Many of the points you raise wrt the post editor, search, and UI are being worked on for the next version of the forums.  As we're working to improve the overall experience, your comments couldn't be more timely.

best regards,
    brian

Cool stuff. Thanks! I hope everything gets better Smiley Give it a nicer UI and a better experience.

Some developers like nice places... although some people try to put us all in the "they like something that is functional only" corner.

• User profile image
    Joe Morel - MSFT

littleguru,

Jeremy forwarded your post over to me.  I currently own DevDiv's engagement on the MSDN Forums, and I've definitely felt your pain over the past year.  I am working daily with a developer on my team to fix the bugs with the post editor--the new version should no longer change sizes of text after you hit enter, should format code correctly, and shouldn't render smileys in the middle of a code snippet.  I'll keep you posted on the improvements.

Please email me at joemorel@microsoft if you have any comments or questions!

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.