Coffeehouse Thread

35 posts

Which is better Windows Live Custom Domains or Google Apps?

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    shreyasonli​ne

Has anyone tried both Windows Live Custom Domains and Google Apps ... can you tell which service is better and why ?

Shreyas Zare

• User profile image
    doomer

Me

Google Apps delivery a start page, gtalk with your domain, google pages for website hosting end gmail, better than hotmail interface...

• User profile image
    Darbacour

This is an uneducated reply but personally I shun away from 'We will never do anything evil' Bad. wrong...... whatever the quote was..

To a company that embraced giving AOL their algorythyms and keyword placement and formed a deal that M/S found unethical.

Personally I NOW always try to use MSN search before I venture into the the slimy Google LIARS Den.

• User profile image
    shreyasonli​ne

Darbacour wrote:
    This is an uneducated reply but personally I shun away from 'We will never do anything evil' Bad. wrong...... whatever the quote was..

To a company that embraced giving AOL their algorythyms and keyword placement and formed a deal that M/S found unethical.

Personally I NOW always try to use MSN search before I venture into the the slimy Google LIARS Den.

I just want to know about their service and features, nothing else.

Shreyas Zare

• User profile image
    Darbacour

I apologize for going off on a tangent.....

In my personal opinion Windows Live smokes Google for usabilty on an everyday basis.

For Apps... What's to talk about?  MS apps has NO equal and hasn't for 2 decades.

But neither is STELLAR IMHO

I would STILL like access to 2-d old-skool Map-point straight-foward maps.

I am so disgusted with both for simplicity I now am forced to use the uber-suck  MapQuest.

• User profile image
    Darbacour

One other VERY important point to keep in mind;  should you choose to use Google.... every e-mail you send or receive will be indexed.

I personally refuse to resond to G-mail for anything other than the most superfulous comminications

• User profile image
    Zeus

Darbacour wrote:
    One other VERY important point to keep in mind;  should you choose to use Google.... every e-mail you send or receive will be indexed.

I personally refuse to resond to G-mail for anything other than the most superfulous comminications
    Geeez man ... Paranoia City !

I ust Google Apps for my domain, and I just love it. Super easy to use, I can get to my mail all the time, from anywhere, on any computer. The have a very easy to use control panel for all the functions I need. Recently they added a feature that allowed me to get mail from multiple domains into a single account on GA, which is great.

And as my company expands I would perhaps think of going a hosting route for my mail, but seriously doubt it, Google just servers my need so perfectly.

• User profile image
    KevinB

doomer wrote:
    Me

Google Apps delivery a start page, gtalk with your domain, google pages for website hosting end gmail, better than hotmail interface...

I can't really comment on the Google Apps vs Windows Live Custom Domains (<-- what a crap name) as I have never used either, but have you used Windows Live Mail yet?

I mean, I know that gmail was better than hotmail, by a good good margin, but WLM, IMO at least, is just miles ahead of gmail. Everyone I have shown it to has immediately asked for an invite and they all love it as well.

Kevin

• User profile image
    shreyasonli​ne

Zeus wrote:
    ... Recently they added a feature that allowed me to get mail from multiple domains into a single account on GA, which is great. ...

Ya that feature is really useful if you own many domains.

Shreyas Zare

• User profile image
    Darbacour

Zeus wrote:

Darbacour wrote: One other VERY important point to keep in mind;  should you choose to use Google.... every e-mail you send or receive will be indexed.

Geeez man ... Paranoia City !

I ust Google Apps for my domain, and I just love it. Super easy to use, I can get to my mail all the time, from anywhere, on any computer. The have a very easy to use control panel for all the functions I need. Recently they added a feature that allowed me to get mail from multiple domains into a single account on GA, which is great.

And as my company expands I would perhaps think of going a hosting route for my mail, but seriously doubt it, Google just servers my need so perfectly.

I have an insanely popular website.

I get 2-3 hundred SPAMs a day.

My #1 writer uses Gmail I don't want the contents of our e-mails published...Sadly they are ALL Google indexed.

Google spiders IGNORE my robot text... I find that indescribably  intrusive and very BAD... even though Google promised to never do anything BAD...

Disregarding my robot.txt is BAD

Microsoft respects my privacy and doesn't publish any and everything I do on the net!

Google signed an agreement to allow AOL to always rise to the top of their pages... AOL counter MS and asked if they would give them the sam consideration.  Microsoft said it was unethical and refused.

Bottom line is don't do business with pond scum ... if it costs a little more to do business with a reputable company.......... pay the toll. it's worth it.

• User profile image
    Rowan

Darbacour, are you saying that Google makes your emails search-able to the public? I mean, I don't know how your privacy is supposedly compromised just for using Gmail.

Anyway, I haven't used any of the aforementioned Live services (except Mail, which is average), but I have used Google Analytics and AdWords and I found both services amazingly detailed, simple, fast and full of helpful information. I have nothing bad to say about those services, I would only expect GA to be on the same level of professionalism.

I don't think you'll find many fair and unbiased opinions here, though...

• User profile image
    Darbacour

"Darbacour, are you saying that Google makes your emails search-able to the public? I mean, I don't know how your privacy is supposedly compromised just for using Gmail."

Of course I am. 

Are YOU telling me you weren't aware of that 'feature' of G-mail?

I also love (DESPISE) how Google's spiders totally ignore robot.txt

Edit:  I didn't originally see your last insulting comment:

I don't think you'll find many fair and unbiased opinions here, though...

Personally I've seen opinions ALL over the place....with NO editing which I really like... of course I'm not at Fox.com  to get truly 'Fair and balanced' opinions.

Sorry I'm a Libertarin, not a Neo-Con.

• User profile image
    Sven Groot

Darbacour wrote:
     Are YOU telling me you weren't aware of that 'feature' of G-mail?

I wasn't in fact. Please tell me how other people would be able to search my mail.

Darbacour wrote:
    I also love (DESPISE) how Google's spiders totally ignore robot.txt

I've not seen this on my site. You can use the Google Webmaster Tools to check on the behaviour of the googlebot on your site. It includes a page where you can see your robots.txt and the effect it has on the googlebot.

• User profile image
    shreyasonli​ne

Sven Groot wrote:

Darbacour wrote: Are YOU telling me you weren't aware of that 'feature' of G-mail?

I wasn't in fact. Please tell me how other people would be able to search my mail.

Me too. Darbacour can you tell us how this is possible ?

Shreyas Zare

• User profile image
    Darbacour

shreyasonline wrote:

Sven Groot wrote: 
    Darbacour wrote:  Are YOU telling me you weren't aware of that 'feature' of G-mail?

Me too. Darbacour can you tell us how this is possible ?

Shreyas Zare

Do you HONESTLY mean to tell me you are all unaware of the fact that Google is 'Indexing' each and every single Gmail.  That's the trade-off for their POS service.

If you really are so far out of the loop I'll try to find some links for ya.

I personally won't respond to any Gmails, because my uncomprimised private mail is NOT exempt from Gmail indexing.  

EDIT:

Here's a quick link for ya ...Oddly enough important ones no longer resolve to Google:
    http://search.msn.com/results.aspx?q=gmail+indexing&FORM=MSNH

• User profile image
    Darbacour

Some more links for you doubters:
    http://www.theregister.co.uk/2004/04/03/google_mail_is_evil_privacy/

http://www.templetons.com/brad/gmail.html

http://googlesystem.blogspot.com/2006/10/hidden-labels-in-gmail.html

Sorry didn't read through them ... they may be Tin-foil hat articles, but I do have to say I amazed you aren't aware of the TOU and can't understand why you criticize those that haven't agreed to the TOU for refusing to use Gmail.

I also don't understand why those that previously found M/S to be the evil empire can embrace a company that M/S shunned on a very big monetary deal because what Google was asking the 'Evil Empire' found too unethical to to make the deal.

• User profile image
    Sven Groot

Darbacour wrote:
    Do you HONESTLY mean to tell me you are all unaware of the fact that Google is 'Indexing' each and every single Gmail.

I do not dispute that. However, Rowan asked you if you were saying that "Google makes e-mails available to the public", to which you answered "of course I am".

I agree they index it, but I do not see where they disclose this information to the public. In fact, Google explicitly states this is not the case.

• User profile image
    shreyasonli​ne

Sven Groot wrote:

Darbacour wrote:Do you HONESTLY mean to tell me you are all unaware of the fact that Google is 'Indexing' each and every single Gmail.

I do not dispute that. However, Rowan asked you if you were saying that "Google makes e-mails available to the public", to which you answered "of course I am".

I agree they index it, but I do not see where they disclose this information to the public. In fact, Google explicitly states this is not the case.

Darbacour can you search my mails? My gmail id is shreyasonline@gmail.com ...

They index all the mails so that you can search your own mails.

Shreyas Zare

Comments closed

Comments have been closed since this content was published more than 30 days ago, but if you'd like to continue the conversation, please create a new thread in our Forums, or Contact Us and let us know.