Coffeehouse Thread

21 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

Does ReadyBoost really boost performance?

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    cescotto

I wanted to buy an USB2 pendrive for vista but, since I already tried some memory cards (with an adapter) and none of them were accepted by readyboost could you please point me a decent model or give me suggestion on chosing the right pendrive for vista?

• User profile image
    Titan Storm

Well, ALMOST any memory stick/card should work if

a)Try to format in NTFS but it is not required.  The reason I suggest this is you will be able to compress the drive

b)Ensure the policy for the device is set to "optimize for quick removal".  I am not 100% sure on this but my understanding is this will give the optimal performance.  Still waiting for some input from others on this forum.

c)Format with an allocation unit size of 4096.  This is the largest size that supports compression and anything smaller will greatly hamper performance.  This is why most devices do not support ReadyBoost is because of their default FAT format and allocation size. 

• User profile image
    Titan Storm

I found a really good website with some Q&A

http://blogs.msdn.com/tomarcher/archive/2006/06/02/615199.aspx

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.