Coffeehouse Thread

65 posts

Slightly depressing day.

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    eagle

Once Intel releases the new mobile chipset in Q1 ’07 PC laptops will be lighter, faster and much cheaper then Macs.

These new machines will all be preloaded with Windows Vista and new GPU’s that support DirectX 10.

• User profile image
    Harlequin

eagle wrote:
    Once Intel releases the new mobile chipset in Q1 ’07 PC laptops will be lighter, faster and much cheaper then Macs.

These new machines will all be preloaded with Windows Vista and new GPU’s that support DirectX 10.

I thought Apple uses Intel now. Why couldn't they use Intel in their own laptops?

• User profile image
    Nitz Walsh

eagle wrote:

Uh...you do know Apple desktops and laptops use Intel chipsets and CPU's and have for some time...right?

• User profile image
    eagle

Yes we all know that Apple now uses Intel and pigs are flying, but tell me how much do they charge?

Will Apple now ship with Windows Vista?

• User profile image
    KosherCoder

jamie wrote:
    thats where im at
    i  - just - want - to - load - xp

I feel the pain.

I migrated two of my machines to Vista: a desktop and my tablet. Both fairly high end machines. Both are back with XP after months of fighting Vista RC1 through RTM.

I'm sure to get Vista preloaded on my next new machines. Hopefully, the experience will be better.

• User profile image
    Cornelius Ellsonpeter

eagle wrote:
    By "lighter, faster" are you saying that if each model is thrown thrown like a Frisbee®, the PC laptop will fly farther? Are you willing to test this and post the results here?

• User profile image
    Jack Poison

eagle wrote:

I'm afraid that I agree with the others: why can't Apple use the new mobile chip set?

And, probably more important, why would a chipset be a 'deciding factor' in what mom, pop, and the other family members buying a PC vs. Mac?

• User profile image
    eagle

Because they will cost about a third of what an equivalent Mac will.

DirectX 10 is going to give Windows Vista PC’s improved graphics over Mac’s and the question is how long will it take Apple to catch-up?.

• User profile image
    Nitz Walsh

eagle wrote:
    Yes we all know that Apple now uses Intel and pigs are flying, but tell me how much do they charge?

If you did know that Apple uses Intel chipsets, then your preceeding post didn't make any sense.  So it's obvious you didn't know this common fact.

If you want to see what they charge, just hit apple.com. 

eagle wrote:

Will Apple now ship with Windows Vista?

Obviously not.  Why, should they?  What specifically do believe Vista has over OSX that will prompt Mac users to switch?  The bundled apps in Vista are certainly no match for iLife for example, so please - let us know your infinite wisdom on this subject.

• User profile image
    Nitz Walsh

eagle wrote:
    Because they will cost about a third of what an equivalent Mac will.

Absolute nonsense.  For equivalent hardware that's not remotely the case, and it's certainly not the case with similar notebooks.  Compare the specs and take size/weight into account, and Mac notebooks are definitely comparable in price/performance to their PC counterparts.

It sounds like you're posting from a 10 year old "Mac vs. PC" playbook.

eagle wrote:

DirectX 10 is going to give Windows Vista PC’s improved graphics over Mac’s

Really?  Why?  Mac have never been remotely comparable in games to the PC, so DX10 vs. Mac is a non-starter issue.  "Improved graphics" in what way, exactly?

Regardless, the DX10-like features in GPU's (whenever Apple feels like offering them) can be taken advantage of with OpenGL extensions.  I fail to see the relevance however, as Aero is using DX9 - and very meagre usage of it at that.  Hell, OSX has more animated transitions and more "gloss" in certain aspects than Aero now - it certainly has more polish (resize a window in Aero.  Now do it on OSX. See the difference)?

Perhaps WPF will enable more stunning applications than CoreAnimation - who knows.  We'll see.  That's what you meant...right?

• User profile image
    blowdart

Nitz Walsh wrote:

Obviously not.  Why, should they?  What specifically do believe Vista has over OSX that will prompt Mac users to switch?

At ddd4 on Saturday there was a Mac user with Vista installed. Mind you, he was an MS employee Big Smile

• User profile image
    eagle

I'm waiting to see if Mac's get GPU's that support DirectX 10 so they can sell them to people who want to install Windows Vista.

Did you know the iPod has Intel inside?

Why hasn't anyone posted Mac prices yet?

• User profile image
    Jack Poison

eagle wrote:
    I'm waiting to see if Mac's get GPU's that support DirectX 10 so they can sell them to people who want to install Windows Vista.

Is DX10 required for Vista? Or only for Aero Glass? If it's only Aero Glass, then you're assuming that people will be more likely to buy a Vista machine because of Aero Glass. Somehow, I don't think Vista makes a compelling case for that.

Which lends me to my original thought: Microsoft will lose home customers. And think they'll (as a company) shrug and say, oh well.

Any MS employees think otherwise? And maybe show some up an coming counter examples? Like a compelling reason to "stay with windows"?

BTW - today was slightly less depressing.

Jackson

• User profile image
    Nitz Walsh

eagle wrote:

Since when is DX10 a requirement of using Vista?

eagle wrote:
    Why hasn't anyone posted Mac prices yet?

Why don't you get off your butt and check yourself?  You're the one making the claim that PC's cost "a third as much" of equivalent Macs.  Make a claim, back it up.

• User profile image
    Nitz Walsh

Jack Poison wrote:

eagle wrote: I'm waiting to see if Mac's get GPU's that support DirectX 10 so they can sell them to people who want to install Windows Vista.

Is DX10 required for Vista? Or only for Aero Glass? If it's only Aero Glass, then you're assuming that people will be more likely to buy a Vista machine because of Aero Glass. Somehow, I don't think Vista makes a compelling case for that.

Of course DX10 is in no way shape or form a requirement for Vista or Aero.  Heck, the first DirectX10 cards from Nvidia just came out - and they start at $449.  No way is MS that stupid.

Aero only requires DX9 - even integrated chipsets with the Intel GMA950 support Aero and perform well with it.  Games won't "require" DX10 for many years even.

• User profile image
    eagle

Guys like you would tell me how Apple’s IBM chips were superior to Intel chips, nice to see that you have moved on.

When you see a PC running the full Windows Vista I'm sure you'll come around.

• User profile image
    DarthVista

eagle wrote:
    Guys like you would tell me how Apple’s IBM chips were superior to Intel chips, nice to see that you have moved on.

Thanks for being a guiding light around here. It is much appreciated by the "lurking majority". Paul, what must we do to lure the dotnet community back here?

• User profile image
    Nitz Walsh

eagle wrote:

Er...no I wouldn't.  Going to Intel was the best move Apple has made in a long time.

What does the fact that Apple used IBM chips have anything to do with your complete lack of knowledge about the platform?  Your innacuracies are being corrected, so naturally your ego is bruised and you're trying to paint me as some kind of Apple zealot.

There are many things I like about OSX, and many things I like about Vista.  I'm simply educated in both, while you appear to know little about either.
    eagle wrote:

Uh, I'm running one _now_. 

Seriously, how old are you?  Do you have a clue as to what you're talking about at all? 

I have a feeling some videogame console forum has just lost its favourite troll.

Comments closed

Comments have been closed since this content was published more than 30 days ago, but if you'd like to continue the conversation, please create a new thread in our Forums, or Contact Us and let us know.