Coffeehouse Thread

65 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

Slightly depressing day.

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    eagle

Then getting Mac's Vista Ready will be the next best move.

What GPU have you?

• User profile image
    Nitz Walsh

eagle wrote:
    Then getting Mac's Vista Ready will be the next best move.

Er, they already are.  Hell, every Mac sold now is at least dual-core.  The Mac Pro workstations are all two dual-core CPU's, for quad core.  As usual, you don't have a clue.

As I asked before: What specific features in OSX 10.4 (and the upcoming 10.5) do you think are so deficient that Apple uses will be clamoring for Vista?
    eagle wrote:

What GPU have you?

7600 GT - complete overkill for Aero, but I like to game at times.

• User profile image
    eagle

You’re the one getting hysterical, Apple's market share is about to peak.

You seem to forget that Microsoft doesn't make PC's, Partners do.

• User profile image
    eagle

You have yet to experience the full Vista effect, yet you carry on as if you know it all LOL....

• User profile image
    Nitz Walsh

eagle wrote:

No accusations of hysterics were ever levied, just knowledge.  You continually make assertions which indicate you don't understand the capabilities of Macs, or Vista.  Suck it up and deal with it.

As for Apples market share, who knows?  You certainly don't, and it's neither here nor there.  Why exactly are you addressing your wild guesses about Mac marketshare to me?  What does it have to do with anything in this thread?
    eagle wrote:

You seem to forget that Microsoft doesn't make PC's, Partners do.

Yes, I know.

Again...what is your point?

• User profile image
    Nitz Walsh

eagle wrote:
    You have yet to experience the full Vista effect, yet you carry on as if you know it all LOL....

Someone please push this troll back under the bridge.

• User profile image
    eagle

Since when is a Windows Vista user a troll on a MSDN community site?

• User profile image
    intrepid

eagle wrote:

This Apple market growth thing has happened before, so you may be right on that - but consider this: For the first time in history, quality/features aren't valued by consumers as much as looks. This is a plus for Apple, a company that makes limited products inside attractive (or so people say) boxes.

I hope Apple doesn't win out, because if they do they'll continue to build a real monopoly - a monopoly that will make the EU and DOJ crumble. How can  they be stopped when they control the hardware, the software, the retail-outlets and the peripherals.

If I was Microsoft I would cut my losses and start working on a new operating system / gui. One that seperates itself (postitively) so far from Linux and MacOS that no-one wouldn't want to switch.

• User profile image
    Alex1537

eagle wrote:
    Yes we all know that Apple now uses Intel and pigs are flying, but tell me how much do they charge?

Will Apple now ship with Windows Vista?

Either you're dripping with sarcasm or tragically misinformed [6]. I'll give you the benefit of the doubt.

• User profile image
    PaoloM

eagle wrote:
    Since when is a Windows Vista user a troll on a MSDN community site?

Whenever he behaves like a troll.

• User profile image
    Alex1537

eagle wrote:
    Guys like you would tell me how Apple’s IBM chips were superior to Intel chips, nice to see that you have moved on.

When you see a PC running the full Windows Vista I'm sure you'll come around.

I have one of those (RC2). Imagine my shock and disappointment when I found that my machine was crawling around at half the speed of XP. To me Vista looks more and more like bloatware... I was getting so excited about its features too Sad.

I'm sticking to XP for games (that's all I use my windows box for anyway) and will continue to use my PowerMac G5 for everything else.

Most of my colleagues are getting Macs this Christmas. the one barrier that stopped them from switching was the ability to run their windows apps. Now the barrier has fallen, they're off.

• User profile image
    Alex1537

intrepid wrote:

For the first time in history, quality/features aren't valued by consumers as much as looks. This is a plus for Apple, a company that makes limited products inside attractive (or so people say) boxes.

Rubbish. Are you seriously suggesting that products such as the MacPro are "limited", with functionality sacrificed for the benefit of aesthetics? Check out a couple of reviews from PC-centric sites (Anandtech's review is a good start) and you'll see that there's as much substance as style.

Apple products are desgined to cater for specific markets, as are the bulge bracket producers of cheap PCs. If you look long and hard you will see that Apple doesn't operate at the high-volume low-margin end, nor does it operate at the Quad-SLI-type gaming end. For their features (including the software which you HAVE to take into account because it forms part of Apple's value proposition), their machines are more than competitively priced.

What has become obvious is that the bulge-bracket has nothing to fear from Apple (and vice-versa) - each to his own. Manufacturers such as Sony, Tosh or Asus are the ones who need to worry about Apple because they operate in the same sort of bracket.  As for MS, they have nothing to fear in the short or even medium term. they gain either way.

Apple designs products to cater for a chosen market. In their case, it's people who pay Apple to take the pain out of computing. As anyone who has sat through 3 hours of SATA driver hell on XP or Vista will attest, sometimes that's a price worth paying.

• User profile image
    eagle

• User profile image
    intrepid

Alex1537 wrote:

Rubbish. Are you seriously suggesting that products such as the MacPro are "limited", with functionality sacrificed for the benefit of aesthetics?

Not quite. My point was that people are looking at Apple because it's looks easy and pretty - and they are forgetting the reason they use Windows in the first place. I get 2-3 customers a day saying "Why can't I install this PC game on my Mac?" or "Why won't this device work?" - and I say "Some companies won't spend money developing for a computer with a less-than 5% marketshare. That's why we recommend Windows."
    ...and then they run off crying at their bad choice. Well they should.

• User profile image
    eagle

Gartner has access to all the sales figures and the projections are made after careful analysis of many companies manufacturing base and capital investment.

In 2005 you would have told us the Linux would be installed on 30% of desktops worldwide by the end of 2006.

• User profile image
    eagle

Give us your graph....

• User profile image
    eagle

Graphs are pointless only if they don’t support your point.

• User profile image
    eagle

eagle wrote:
    Gartner has access to all the sales figures and the projections are made after careful analysis of many companies manufacturing base and capital investment.

Who is manufacturing computers with Linux?

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.