Coffeehouse Thread

65 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

Slightly depressing day.

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    AndyC

thumbtacks wrote:
    For instance, this graph assumes that Apple's marketshare will continue to drop (along with Linux). Where is the data for that? 

Actually, I don't think it does. A significant portion of Other will be Windows 9x and NT4 machines and they most likely will be tailoring off.

• User profile image
    eagle

Competition? I was at a Red Hat event in NYC yesterday, 40 people, maybe 20 PC laptops all with Widows except the Red Hat guy who had Fedora and he would only show me the browser. 

• User profile image
    PaoloM

That graph may be wrong, but not for the reasons you would imagine Smiley

• User profile image
    eagle

Yes, I expect Windows Next to be part of the equation by 2009.

• User profile image
    ScanIAm

thumbtacks wrote:

eagle wrote: 
    eagle wrote: Gartner has access to all the sales figures and the projections are made after careful analysis of many companies manufacturing base and capital investment.

Who is manufacturing computers with Linux?
    Beercosoftware! Anyway, why would that even be necessary anyway? Sure it would be nice, though, but it's not difficult to pick up a secondary hard drive and install Linux on it. Dual boot is a little trickier for some, however. Say, have you ever tried installing a version of it? It helps sometimes to know what the competition is up to.

Er, who is Beercosoftware?

• User profile image
    Alex1537

intrepid wrote:

Not quite. My point was that people are looking at Apple because it's looks easy and pretty - and they are forgetting the reason they use Windows in the first place. I get 2-3 customers a day saying "Why can't I install this PC game on my Mac?" or "Why won't this device work?" - and I say "Some companies won't spend money developing for a computer with a less-than 5% marketshare. That's why we recommend Windows."
    ...and then they run off crying at their bad choice. Well they should.

Fair point, but surely with the arrival of Bootcamp/Parallels, the sales pitch becomes more interesting?

• User profile image
    Massif

ScanIAm wrote:

thumbtacks wrote:
    eagle wrote: 
    eagle wrote: Gartner has access to all the sales figures and the projections are made after careful analysis of many companies manufacturing base and capital investment.

Beercosoftware! Anyway, why would that even be necessary anyway? Sure it would be nice, though, but it's not difficult to pick up a secondary hard drive and install Linux on it. Dual boot is a little trickier for some, however. Say, have you ever tried installing a version of it? It helps sometimes to know what the competition is up to.

Speaking of Beer28, I visited BeerCo today as you piqued my curiousity. They've recently started developing Windows Apps due to customer demand.

• User profile image
    Cornelius Ellsonpeter

Massif wrote:

ScanIAm wrote: 
    thumbtacks wrote: 
    eagle wrote: 

Speaking of Beer28, I visited BeerCo today as you piqued my curiousity. They've recently started developing Windows Apps due to customer demand.
    Whoa. What triggered that?

Expressionless

Now that's gotta be depressing (for him)...

• User profile image
    blowdart

Ack don't mention him three times or he'll come back

• User profile image
    Dr Herbie

blowdart wrote:
    Ack don't mention him three times or he'll come back

Can you imagine the flame wars that would come about when everyone started taking the mick about you-know-who developing Windows software?

*Shudder*

Herbie

• User profile image
    eagle

I guess I'll be seeing you know who in Denver at the next Microsoft Partners conference along with several Mac's running Windows Vista.

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.