Coffeehouse Thread

11 posts

Sprawl is fun! and more of WPF/E on C9. How is that meant?

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    littleguru

I like it Smiley

Btw. how is that meant that more and more of C9 turn into WPF/E? Is everything being WPF/E in the end? Expressionless

• User profile image
    keeron

They could use the WPF/E engine to show the videos and font-page posts. The tags could be a WPF/E cloud with some fancy animation (although no 3d support in WPF/E).

THe nav bar could use some of it Smiley

Hey, make the post editor WPF/E based... so we have a cool "mini-word" instead of a same-old message post editor.

• User profile image
    Human​Compiler

keeron wrote:
    They could use the WPF/E engine to show the videos and font-page posts. The tags could be a WPF/E cloud with some fancy animation (although no 3d support in WPF/E).

THe nav bar could use some of it

Hey, make the post editor WPF/E based... so we have a cool "mini-word" instead of a same-old message post editor.

We "might" be thinking about some of that already.  Wink

As for the post editor, that's a really interesting idea.  I need to do some research in that area and see if WPF/E is capable at this point or not.  That would definitely make it easy to be cross platform/browser.

• User profile image
    Human​Compiler

So yah, I did a little research on WPF/E's current capabilities and it doesn't yet support text or input.  They are currently working on it and it will be ready in the not so distant future, but not in time for C9v4 so we'll still be using a home grown javascript based text editor.  Good idea though for sure and we'll be thinking about it for the future.

• User profile image
    Larsenal

HumanCompiler wrote:
    So yah, I did a little research on WPF/E's current capabilities and it doesn't yet support text or input.

What!?!  Is the mouse our only direct input device at this point?

• User profile image
    ben2004uk

Any ideas on the frequency of CTP drops?

• User profile image
    Larsenal

Ernie Booth wrote:

Larsenal wrote: 
    HumanCompiler wrote: So yah, I did a little research on WPF/E's current capabilities and it doesn't yet support text or input.

Yes for this CTP mouse is the only direct input.  We are choosing to give you bits sooner and more often than to make you wait and have a complete solution.

Fair enough

• User profile image
    Ernie Booth

Larsenal wrote:

HumanCompiler wrote: So yah, I did a little research on WPF/E's current capabilities and it doesn't yet support text or input.

The only direct input supported in the December CTP is the mouse.  We are choosing to give you bits sooner and more often than to make you wait and have a complete solution.

• User profile image
    Nitz Walsh

The applets are just in the "cute" stage now, but the potential is there.  It's quite impressive.

BTW, in the future will there be smoother animation possible?  Not that it's really "choppy" now, but it seems to be 30fps - is that a limit of WPF on the web, or just realistic target platform specs at this point?

• User profile image
    jBuelna

Sprawl is fun; however, I do not drive a SUV. 

• User profile image
    keeron

HumanCompiler wrote:
    So yah, I did a little research on WPF/E's current capabilities and it doesn't yet support text or input.  They are currently working on it and it will be ready in the not so distant future, but not in time for C9v4 so we'll still be using a home grown javascript based text editor.  Good idea though for sure and we'll be thinking about it for the future.

Thanks for looking into that.

We should have another contest Smiley now that the CTP is out and you can do pretty cool things with it already. Selected "plugins" (?) can get used in C9/on10, etc.

I think a lot of our "fancy" C9 requests can be now made possible... things like a chat room, RSS feed/live bot, embedded videos, etc.

Comments closed

Comments have been closed since this content was published more than 30 days ago, but if you'd like to continue the conversation, please create a new thread in our Forums, or Contact Us and let us know.