Coffeehouse Thread

12 posts

Volume license for Vista

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    Gravy

Hi

I see we have got the Enterprise edition (volume license) of Vista on subscriber downloads now. I have heared several comments on its activation though. Some people say I need a key server (??) on my network. What's one of these?

Also when I install it I never get the chance of entering a volume license key (not that there is one on the Partner site).

Does anyone know anything about this?

• User profile image
    eagle

Yea, your System Admin.

• User profile image
    cheong

I'm not sure, but from all I heard, it seems that you must install the VLK keys on a seperate "key server", and that "key server" cannot use VLK keys (because you have no key server to use in the beginning)

When you install a VLK version of Vista, it'll search on your network for the key server to obtain the key, much like the way you obtain license from using Win2k's terminal service.

In this way, they can prevent some people to bring the key for home use. And VLK owners can reinstall as much as they want as long as they don't make significant parts change that'll invalidates the activation.

Recent Achievement unlocked: Code Avenger Tier 4/6: You see dead program. A lot!
    Last modified
  • User profile image
    AndyC

The key server (KMS) is one way, the alternative is to use Multiple Activation Keys (MAK). MAKs work pretty much the same as standard Windows Product keys, except they can be used to activate several machines. There is a limit on how many times they can be used, at which point you need to obtain another one from Microsoft, thus limiting the possibility for widespread abuse.

• User profile image
    Gravy

Thanks for the info guys.

Where as with windows XP and 2003 Server partners were given a VLK. Does anyone know what will happen for  Vista? We will (partners) get a VLK or a MAK.

One more thing: Is it true that the KMS is part of Longhorn server? Is it available for Server 2003?

• User profile image
    AndyC

Gravy wrote:

Thanks for the info guys.

Where as with windows XP and 2003 Server partners were given a VLK. Does anyone know what will happen for  Vista? We will (partners) get a VLK or a MAK.

One more thing: Is it true that the KMS is part of Longhorn server? Is it available for Server 2003

Volume subscribers will get a KMS key (good for 2 Key Management Servers IIRC, if you need more you have to contact Microsoft) and a MAK (more on request) and can use a combination of them to satisfy their requirements (e.g. just use the MAK for laptops and have all desktops use the KMS)

The current KMS will apparantly only run on Longhorn Server or Vista, but a Server 2003 version should be available sometime next year (though when exactly is anyones guess).

• User profile image
    gfincher

Details on VL 2.0 are found here:

Technical documentation focusing on planning, deployment, and operational guidance. It includes the Volume Activation 2.0 Step-by-Step Guide, Volume Activation 2.0 FAQ, Volume Activation 2.0 Technical Attributes List, and Standard User Product Activation zip file.

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=9893f83e-c8a5-4475-b025-66c6b38b46e3&displaylang=en

Hope this helps!

glenn fincher

• User profile image
    cheong

gfincher wrote:

Details on VL 2.0 are found here:

Technical documentation focusing on planning, deployment, and operational guidance. It includes the Volume Activation 2.0 Step-by-Step Guide, Volume Activation 2.0 FAQ, Volume Activation 2.0 Technical Attributes List, and Standard User Product Activation zip file.

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=9893f83e-c8a5-4475-b025-66c6b38b46e3&displaylang=en

Hope this helps!

glenn fincher

I've spent some time reading the documentations, but seems it mentioned nowhere about a backup KMS. (it does tell us that multiple KMS can be installed in the same domain, but in independent fashion. i.e.: the key on one KMS wont be synchronized to another.)

I wonder if they'll also provide utility to synchronize keys in multiple KMS host, so if one server goes down in serious problem that cannot be recovered, the keys will not be lost.

Recent Achievement unlocked: Code Avenger Tier 4/6: You see dead program. A lot!
    Last modified
  • User profile image
    Jung

erm what about remote users not on the lan?!

• User profile image
    AndyC

cheong wrote:

I've spent some time reading the documentations, but seems it mentioned nowhere about a backup KMS. (it does tell us that multiple KMS can be installed in the same domain, but in independent fashion. i.e.: the key on one KMS wont be synchronized to another.)

My understanding is that you don't need to, because the KMS servers all effectively hold the one true Volume key, and so there is nothing to sychronise. It's only necessary for client machines to contact a KMS, it doesn't necessarily need to be the same one (though it likely would be).

Jung wrote:

That's what MAKs exist for.

• User profile image
    cheong

Jung wrote:

They're required to use MAK keys that will not expire, and require directly to Microsoft servers/telephone to activate.

Last modified
  • User profile image
    Gravy

Where will we find the VLK and MAK, on the ms partner site?

Will the MAK keys only work with Vista Enterprise or can they be used on the normal MSDN download of Vista?

Sorry for all the questions.

Comments closed

Comments have been closed since this content was published more than 30 days ago, but if you'd like to continue the conversation, please create a new thread in our Forums, or Contact Us and let us know.