Coffeehouse Thread

11 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

Is segoeUI.ttf installed with ie7?

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    jamie

just wondering if xp users - who do not have office12 yet - or vista - will get this new vista default (Wink) font installed somehow.

ive been specifying secondary fonts if user doesnt have it - but it would be cool if any ie7 install meant it was installed

i think chris pirillo likes this font as well Wink

?

• User profile image
    Cannot​Resolve​Symbol

jamie wrote:
    just wondering if xp users - who do not have office12 yet - or vista - will get this new vista default () font installed somehow.

ive been specifying secondary fonts if user doesnt have it - but it would be cool if any ie7 install meant it was installed

i think chris pirillo likes this font as well

?

I beleive it is...  the error pages appear to depend on it (although they can fall back to Verdana or Arial).

If it's not, I somehow got Segoe UI magically installed before I installed Office 12, because I've had it for a long time.  Wink

• User profile image
    Harlequin

I remember at one point some home pages on Microsoft's websites used Franklin Gothic in the actual CSS/HTML. Franklin Gothic is used in their banners and heroes and stuff like that, but it's not a standard font; the only people who would be able to see the website with Franklin Gothic would be design people who have it installed Smiley

They're probably going to do the same with Segoe if they haven't already.

• User profile image
    SimonDa

As far as I know Segoe UI is not part of IE. Looking at IE7 on my XP machine with the fonts installed I do not see them used in help or the UI. I'm going to remove the fonts and reinstall IE7 to confirm.

Two weights of Franklin Gothic were first included in Windows XP (got carried across to Vista) and were used in the UI of Windows XP. I would expect that these were the ones the ms.com team specified over at ms.com.

Cheers, Si

Lead PM, Microsoft typography

• User profile image
    SimonDa

Confirmed: in my test the fonts are not installed with IE7 on Windows XP SP2

• User profile image
    Cannot​Resolve​Symbol

SimonDa wrote:
    Confirmed: in my test the fonts are not installed with IE7 on Windows XP SP2

Hmmm...  now is when I wonder how I got Segoe UI...  because I had it before I installed Office 12.  Perplexed

• User profile image
    SimonDa

Can you tell me the version number?

• User profile image
    Cannot​Resolve​Symbol

SimonDa wrote:
    Can you tell me the version number?

It says it's version 1.02.

• User profile image
    SimonDa

Vista RTM has v.5.00 (we rev'd all the Vista fonts to v.5.00+) and Office 12 is v.1.00 - so v.1.02 would have been from a relatively recent Vista build (but not the RTM) or something else relatively recent - I can't think what, sorry.

Cheers, Si  

• User profile image
    Cannot​Resolve​Symbol

SimonDa wrote:

Vista RTM has v.5.00 (we rev'd all the Vista fonts to v.5.00+) and Office 12 is v.1.00 - so v.1.02 would have been from a relatively recent Vista build (but not the RTM) or something else relatively recent - I can't think what, sorry.

Cheers, Si  

I think it's possible that it came with Max or with one of the WinFX betas, or maybe even an Expression Web Designer CTP...  I suppose there's no way to tell, though Smiley

Doesn't really matter, though.

• User profile image
    SimonDa

Yes, one of those may well have installed it.

Cheers, Si

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.