Coffeehouse Thread

67 posts

Microsoft answers Linux IP infringement questions....Sort Of

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    corona_coder

Here are the "answers" to the questions.  IMO, here is a summary.  There are no patent infringements in Linux as was proved by the SCO case. We havent changed and still spread FUD when we get the chance. We spread FUD when governments and organizations plan to migrate from our platform. Linux IP infringement accusations from Microsoft are just words from a company with a dying product line.  The SCO event was just icing on the cake that IP infringements do not happen in the open world.  yet Microsoft has been sued and lost several IP infringement cases.  Thats the case in a closed world.

• User profile image
    ScanIAm

corona_coder wrote:
    Here are the "answers" to the questions.  IMO, here is a summary.  There are no patent infringements in Linux as was proved by the SCO case. We havent changed and still spread FUD when we get the chance. We spread FUD when governments and organizations plan to migrate from our platform. Linux IP infringement accusations from Microsoft are just words from a company with a dying product line.  The SCO event was just icing on the cake that IP infringements do not happen in the open world.  yet Microsoft has been sued and lost several IP infringement cases.  Thats the case in a closed world.

Posting crap like this make baby jebus cry.

• User profile image
    Minh

Isn't SCO about copyright infringement? That is, somebody rips Unix source code & put it into Linux? That seems to have been proven false.

But patent infringement is a different matter. Let me read up on it.

• User profile image
    blowdart

Minh wrote:
    Isn't SCO about copyright infringement? That is, somebody rips Unix source code & put it into Linux? That seems to have been proven false.

But patent infringement is a different matter.

It's a very different thing; however what do you expect from a troll? Geez, don't even dignify it.

• User profile image
    corona_coder

blowdart wrote:

Minh wrote:Isn't SCO about copyright infringement? That is, somebody rips Unix source code & put it into Linux? That seems to have been proven false.

But patent infringement is a different matter.

It's a very different thing; however what do you expect from a troll? Geez, don't even dignify it.

No one is trolling, Im just pointing out the obvious.   Its a shame that when others dont like what you have to say you are branded a troll.  The SCO non-event just proved that any infringements do not exist in the open world.  I know this forum has a bunch of SCO supporters but facts are facts.  Microsofts product lines are dying in fact a recent study called Microsofts minimum requirements report on Vista that says you only need an 800mhz PC a lie and that you need a 3 to 4 ghz processor, so those of you who claim to have it running on low end machines, well facts are facts and the probability you are lying is high.  From what I personally have seen Vista is a not getting any attention and Office 2007 is a yawner.  SXorry but facts are facts.

• User profile image
    Xaero_​Vincent

Almost all software infringes on patents. Linux and GNU are no different. Neither is any other operating system in existence.

With millions of patented ideas, its virtually impossible not to develop software that absolutely does not infringe on someone elses patented idea.

Thus, pointing the finger at only Linux is completely unacceptable. Microsoft has to take on all OSes because they all have scroll bars, tasks bars, NTFS/FAT support, so on.

The question is does Linux and *all* other software infringe on *enforceable* patents.

Regards,
    Vincent

• User profile image
    blowdart

corona_coder wrote:

No one is trolling, Im just pointing out the obvious.   Its a shame that when others dont like what you have to say you are branded a troll.  The SCO non-event just proved that any infringements do not exist in the open world.  I know this forum has a bunch of SCO supporters but facts are facts.  Microsofts product lines are dying in fact a recent study called Microsofts minimum requirements report on Vista that says you only need an 800mhz PC a lie and that you need a 3 to 4 ghz processor, so those of you who claim to have it running on low end machines, well facts are facts and the probability you are lying is high.  From what I personally have seen Vista is a not getting any attention and Office 2007 is a yawner.  SXorry but facts are facts.

Sorry the obvious?

1) Mixing up copyright and IP?
    2) Saying that because SCO couldn't find any of their copyrighted code that Linux does not infringe IP? (Although hey, who knows). What logical skills you have there.
    3) Dropping the old "MS lies" comments?

Just say Micro$oft and get it over with m'kay?

• User profile image
    Bas

corona_coder wrote:
    Microsofts product lines are dying in fact a recent study called Microsofts minimum requirements report on Vista that says you only need an 800mhz PC a lie and that you need a 3 to 4 ghz processor, so those of you who claim to have it running on low end machines, well facts are facts and the probability you are lying is high.

This makes me and my 1.2 GHz PC laugh in so many ways. Thanks. Wink

• User profile image
    corona_coder

Xaero_Vincent wrote:

Almost all software infringes on patents. Linux and GNU are no different. Neither is any other operating system in existence.

With millions of patented ideas, its virtually impossible not to develop software that absolutely does not infringe on someone elses patented idea.

Thus, pointing the finger at only Linux is completely unacceptable. Microsoft has to take on all OSes because they all have scroll bars, tasks bars, NTFS/FAT support, so on.

The question is does Linux and *all* other software infringe on *enforceable* patents.

Regards,
    Vincent

Patents are unenforceable considering many of them are so broad.  And the community shouldnt worry because Microsoft has never won any of its patent infringement suits.  The SCO case was the perfect example of a community effort, the community came together to prove that Linux does not infringe on any IP and the community put to rest any and all fears that it does so.  When has the "windows community" ever come together to help Microsoft?  Never.  the Linux community will come together to fight any lawsuits Microsoft may launch. 

• User profile image
    julianbenja​min

corona_coder wrote:

So according to you, Microsoft products are dying because they can't run on the PCs with the minimum requirements?

And where have you "personally" seen Vista not getting any attention? 

What's obvious is that you can't write, and based on your article summary, you can't read either.

So go away.

• User profile image
    julianbenja​min

corona_coder wrote:

Patents are unenforceable considering many of them are so broad.  And the community shouldnt worry because Microsoft has never won any of its patent infringement suits.  The SCO case was the perfect example of a community effort, the community came together to prove that Linux does not infringe on any IP and the community put to rest any and all fears that it does so.  When has the "windows community" ever come together to help Microsoft?  Never.  the Linux community will come together to fight any lawsuits Microsoft may launch. 

http://news.com.com/Belkin,+Microsoft+settle+patent+suit/2100-1014_3-6140141.html

Hi,

My name is corona_coder, and I'm an idiot.

• User profile image
    corona_coder

julianbenjamin wrote:

corona_coder wrote:

So according to you, Microsoft products are dying because they can't run on the PCs with the minimum requirements?

And where have you "personally" seen Vista not getting any attention? 

What's obvious is that you can't write, and based on your article summary, you can't read either.

So go away.

Find me one positive review of Windows Vista, and one person who says they will upgrade, they cant be a MS supporter.  Jamie on this forum is a diehard Windows supporter who said he was thinking of switching.  Paul Thurrott is the same way. Ubuntu 6.10 was the buggiest release ever and it still got positive marks and people have been downloading and using it like crazy.

• User profile image
    blowdart

corona_coder wrote:

Patents are unenforceable considering many of them are so broad.  And the community shouldnt worry because Microsoft has never won any of its patent infringement suits.

Woohoo another sweeping statement. Patents are unenforceable because some of them are broad?

And Virtual Dub might disagree, they changed their ASF code before they were taken to court.

• User profile image
    julianbenja​min

corona_coder wrote:
    Find me one positive review of Windows Vista, and one person who says they will upgrade, they cant be a MS supporter.  Jamie on this forum is a diehard Windows supporter who said he was thinking of switching.  Paul Thurrott is the same way. Ubuntu 6.10 was the buggiest release ever and it still got positive marks and people have been downloading and using it like crazy.

And how would you define a "MS Supporter"?  All the developers I know who have an MSDN subscription have it installed.  Some of the IT staff here have it installed as well.  Are they MS Supporters?

And do you have the numbers of the number of people who've downloaded the Vista bits from MSDN?  Of course not.  You'd rather just pull these "facts" out of your nether regions and present them like the pompous fanboy that you are.

• User profile image
    blowdart

corona_coder wrote:

Find me one positive review of Windows Vista, and one person who says they will upgrade, they cant be a MS supporter.

Why do I get the feeling anyone who will switch is, by your measures, an MS supporter.

• User profile image
    Tensor

blowdart wrote:

corona_coder wrote: 

Find me one positive review of Windows Vista, and one person who says they will upgrade, they cant be a MS supporter.

Why do I get the feeling anyone who will switch is, by your measures, an MS supporter.

Is it because he is a self-serving zealot who is more interested in twisting words to his advantage than having a reasonable logical argument?

Just asking.

• User profile image
    Erisan

corona_coder wrote:

Hmmh... please calm down. Give Vista some time. Year or two. Use it and then give us good arguments why do you think it's not good.
    There is so much anti-Windows and anti-Linux BS all over the Internet that it getting a bit boring Smiley.

• User profile image
    PaoloM

corona_coder wrote:
    I know this forum has a bunch of SCO supporters but facts are facts. 

You know, eh? Who are they? Names (or nicknames), please.

Put up or shut up, kid.

Comments closed

Comments have been closed since this content was published more than 30 days ago, but if you'd like to continue the conversation, please create a new thread in our Forums, or Contact Us and let us know.