Coffeehouse Thread

17 posts

Goodbye Office 2007

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    daytrip00

Dear Office 2007,

Today is my last day with you.  I believe it is now time for us to part ways.

I know our time together was short, but I must tell you that our time together did not meet the expectations set by our first few hours of bliss. 

We moved fast at first, and then oh did we ever move so slow. You slowed down my machine... To the point where I could type faster than the screen could respond.  You made it impossible for me to do work.

And then the arguing and frustration began.  I would curse thee every few minutes.  My mouse would stop responding as I yelled at you more and more.  I only hope that our friendship is not beyond repair.

Windows Desktop Search 3.0... Oh how slow and bloated are thee!  Oh how you are missing much oft used functionality from your younger (2.0) days.  Oh how it saddens me to see you go but i feel that it is best for both of us.

Perhaps we shall meet again someday under better circumstances.

Yours, daytrip00

• User profile image
    Cybermagell​an

Oh what will you ever use for an office suite....please say OpenOffice so I can laugh.

• User profile image
    Cannot​Resolve​Symbol

Cybermagellan wrote:
    Oh what will you ever use for an office suite....please say OpenOffice so I can laugh.

I stopped using the beta early to go back to 2003...  not so much because I didn't like it, but because swapping back and forth had gotten painful (repair every time I launched either if I ran the other before).  I needed the stability of 2003 for my schoolwork, so 2007 had to go.

• User profile image
    j0217995

As much as I love the ribbon, I too am getting ready to ditch Office 2007 and go back to 2003 just because of speed.  I hate taking notes w/ OneNote and not knowning which bullet point i'm on because its so slow.  And the stupid indexer sucks.  It slows my machine way down.
    And yes even OOO in all its painful slowness is faster then Office 2007

• User profile image
    Outlaw

why are you guys having problems like this?  i'm using 2007 b2tr and its working perfectly!  its not quite as fast as 2003, but it is beta software and i wouldn't expect it to be.

• User profile image
    Cannot​Resolve​Symbol

Outlaw wrote:
    why are you guys having problems like this?  i'm using 2007 b2tr and its working perfectly!  its not quite as fast as 2003, but it is beta software and i wouldn't expect it to be.

I was only having trouble because I was trying to run it side by side with 2003 (excluding Oulook).  It worked for a while, then it got frustrating.

Once it started, it ran pretty well the whole time I had it installed.  I still needed to do most real work in 2003, though (there's a reason they put "not for production use" in the EULA for beta software).

• User profile image
    geeky123

I was pretty excited to install Office 2007 myself.
    But the first time I created a document with it, it crashed.

Now I know there is crash recovery stuff built in, but guess what each time i recovered and tried to save my document, it would crash again.

So i tried to create a new document and paste all the text from the previous document into it to save it, but guess what that would crash it too. It seemed to have a certain disliking maybe for what was written in the document Wink

Eventually I had to retype the whole thing again just so that i could save it Sad

I even tried using the new blog posting feature in word, and somehowit doesnt seem to work with the latest blogger beta.

And the speed, dont ask me about it....

If this continues i will have to switch back to office 2003 Sad

• User profile image
    geeky123

daytrip00 wrote:

Windows Desktop Search 3.0... Oh how slow and bloated are thee! 

Try Copernic Desktop Search. I fnd it to be the best out there. Its also super fast.

• User profile image
    andokai

Goodbye letters written to organisations or software as if they were people...

• User profile image
    Another_​Darren

Cybermagellan wrote:

I use MS Works 8 on my laptop at home.  It spell checks, formats and prints, can do sums, drawings and even ... drum roll .... SAVE!

I have Office 2003 at work but I've not doing anything I could do in Works.  I think the whole Office vs OpenOffice debate is futile as most Windows machines come with Works and the users don't really need anything more than that.

• User profile image
    amd_duron

I use Office 2007 VL Enterprise on a laptop and on a desktop, it is CLEARLY much fater than 2003 dreamed of being. I really like Office 2007 a lot. It is clean fast, and it saves well and in many formats using save as.

Long live Office 2007! Works 8...ha!

Not sure if you realize this but for quite some time now Works has been based on Word 2003, it simply has a highly ANNOYING template set that runs on top of it.  

So even if "most windows pcs" came with work(not true in any regard) it would not have what you have.

• User profile image
    Dr Herbie

I was just reading review of Office 2007 in Pc-Pro magazine last night.

The one thing that stuck in my mind was the 'Home and Student' edition:  now available to non-students who want a word processor at home. 

Cost in the UK :  £80

Was that a typo?  Are they sure it's not £180?  If it's only £80 (for Word, Excel, Powerpoint and OneNote) then I'm definitely getting it (even though the UK is still getting ripped off with the $ -> £ proce conversion).

Herbie

• User profile image
    Lee_Dale

I decided to adopt OpenOffice for creading all documents for my company, mainly because of the open document format.

And to be honest I havn't since run into any problems!

• User profile image
    j0217995

I don't know what is going on, but ever since I installed Office 2007 B2R or whatever it is officially called my computer runs so slow that it is barely worth using it. In fact I can run Windows XP w/ Office 2003 in a VM on the linux boot same laptop faster then a native Windows XP w/ Office 2007 installed in it.

• User profile image
    Jack Poison

I used to only do things with Word, Outlook, and Powerpoint (I don't use the other office apps as much) that I couldn't do in Works or outlook Express....

But since I got Office 2007, and use the ribbon, I now know how to do a bunch of stuff in those apps (especially in Powerpoint) that I never knew before. I know you can do a lot of the features in 2003, but 2007 is just so much more intuitive, once you learn how the Ribbon works. Much better than sorting through 20 "Main Menu" options and a host of Dialogs.

• User profile image
    Another_​Darren

amd_duron wrote:

So even if "most windows pcs" came with work(not true in any regard) it would not have what you have.

Since HP, Dell, Lenovo and Acer are the top selling PC manufacturers for 2006Q3 (in that order) and they all package MS Works on their machines I believe that most PC's do come with Works. As for "it would not have what you have"??

• User profile image
    daytrip00

j0217995 wrote:
    I don't know what is going on, but ever since I installed Office 2007 B2R or whatever it is officially called my computer runs so slow that it is barely worth using it. In fact I can run Windows XP w/ Office 2003 in a VM on the linux boot same laptop faster then a native Windows XP w/ Office 2007 installed in it.

This was essentially my experience....

Comments closed

Comments have been closed since this content was published more than 30 days ago, but if you'd like to continue the conversation, please create a new thread in our Forums, or Contact Us and let us know.