Coffeehouse Thread

19 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

Visual Studio 2005 advice needed

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    Red5

    I am working with an enterprise web application that has over 1,200 web pages.  It employs the Web Application Project add-in from Microsoft to replicate how web projects were handled in VS 2003; .NET 1.0 and 1.1.

    The app connects to VSS 2005 for source control.

    I am experiencing a considerable amount of slowdown in the VS 2005 IDE.  I've gone through the Tools..Options and tried to set the options that apply to speed things up.  It has helped a little bit, but not much.

    Is there an exhaustive list somewhere with everything you can do to speed up the IDE?

    Our boxes are P4 3.4 Ghz, 2 GB RAM, WIN XP Pro SP2, HP workstations.

    Also, have any of you encounted crashes (on a daily basis), where you get an error of type 
       "VSS has encountered an incomplete action.  Have your admin run the Analyze function" ?

    We get this daily.  I run the Analyze function on the server and it never finds anything wrong.  There are only 4-6 of us connecting to VSS through the IDE at any given time.

    Maybe all this is moot with the upcoming SP1.

    I am starting to think VS 2003 was a superior tool.

  • User profile image
    blowdart

    Red5 wrote:
    
    Also, have any of you encounted crashes (on a daily basis), where you get an error of type 
       "VSS has encountered an incomplete action.  Have your admin run the Analyze function" ?

    We get this daily.  I run the Analyze function on the server and it never finds anything wrong.  There are only 4-6 of us connecting to VSS through the IDE at any given time.


    Ah yes. Well this can be summed up in a single phrase

    "SourceSafe is a steaming pile of dog poo".

    Really. Look at other options, because VSS just does this on a regular basis.

  • User profile image
    Arran

    VSS does indeed suck big time.  However Team Foundation Server rocks!

  • User profile image
    thekiwiguy

    Where are you located? Are you in the US? Let me see what i can do to help you. I work in MSFT's Developer marketing group...

  • User profile image
    sodapop

    VSS gives that error anytme it doesn't shut down correctly.  I get it periodically too and usually no problems are found.   However, I would bet that it has nothing to do with the slowness.  You could try diconnecting your project from VSS, but I would bet money the speed problem stays.

    I experience the same slow down on a large project that I have.  I haven't tried it myself, but there's a patch around large projects with VB.  I've been told it can help VS2005 web projects.. something to do with how every page could be a different language and therefore some VB functionality is still being loaded.  I'll try to find the links..

    Here's a blog entry on the fixes:
    http://blogs.msdn.com/webdevtools/archive/2006/07/24/677180.aspx

    Now I'm trying to find the link I saw that it impacted C# web projects as well.

  • User profile image
    phreaks

    blowdart wrote:
    
    Red5 wrote: 
    Also, have any of you encounted crashes (on a daily basis), where you get an error of type 
       "VSS has encountered an incomplete action.  Have your admin run the Analyze function" ?

    We get this daily.  I run the Analyze function on the server and it never finds anything wrong.  There are only 4-6 of us connecting to VSS through the IDE at any given time.


    Ah yes. Well this can be summed up in a single phrase

    "SourceSafe is a steaming pile of dog poo".

    Really. Look at other options, because VSS just does this on a regular basis.


    I disagree, VSS 2005 is pretty good.
    Leaps and bounds above its predecessor...

    And VSS has nothing to do with his VS 2005 IDE responsiveness.

    See this C9 Thread, it worked for me.
    http://channel9.msdn.com/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=259089#259089

  • User profile image
    Red5

    thekiwiguy wrote:
    

    Where are you located? Are you in the US? Let me see what i can do to help you. I work in MSFT's Developer marketing group...



    US of A.

    Close to Minneapolis, MN.

  • User profile image
    Red5

    phreaks wrote:
    
    I disagree, VSS 2005 is pretty good.
    Leaps and bounds above its predecessor...

    And VSS has nothing to do with his VS 2005 IDE responsiveness.

    See this C9 Thread, it worked for me.
    http://channel9.msdn.com/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=259089#259089


    Interesting....
    I tried it by substituting "VB" for "CSharp", but it generated an error.

    Should I leave it as "CSharp" or is there a correct syntax for VB?

  • User profile image
    phreaks

    Red5 wrote:
    
    phreaks wrote: 
    I disagree, VSS 2005 is pretty good.
    Leaps and bounds above its predecessor...

    And VSS has nothing to do with his VS 2005 IDE responsiveness.

    See this C9 Thread, it worked for me.
    http://channel9.msdn.com/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=259089#259089


    Interesting....
    I tried it by substituting "VB" for "CSharp", but it generated an error.

    Should I leave it as "CSharp" or is there a correct syntax for VB?


    Try

    Sub ToggleVBNavigationBar()

            Dim properties As EnvDTE.Properties = DTE.Properties("TextEditor", "Basic")

            Dim shown As Boolean = properties.Item("ShowNavigationBar").Value

            properties.Item("ShowNavigationBar").Value = Not shown

     End Sub

  • User profile image
    phreaks


    Also, disable word-wrap.

  • User profile image
    Red5

    Thanks everyone.

    One more for the pot:


    This happens in any VB web application we work in.

    Perform a Debug...Start Debugging (F5)
    IDE pauses and compiles the application.
    Often the IDE sits there frozen for minutes on end.
    Then, magically if you move your mouse anywhere over the IDE interface, usually the code window, IE opens up and you can begin your normal debug work.

  • User profile image
    sodapop

    Check this out:
    http://forums.asp.net/thread/1479171.aspx

    If youg have autosave turned on I wouldn't be surprised if you are having this same problem.

  • User profile image
    Red5

    sodapop wrote:
    

    Check this out:
    http://forums.asp.net/thread/1479171.aspx

    If youg have autosave turned on I wouldn't be surprised if you are having this same problem.


    Interesting post.

    I did some research on my machine and found the registry location mentioned.  There are not any references to projects across the network.  The projects were etiher in My Projects or hosted by local IIS in the C:\inetpub\wwwroot location.

    I am unable to find the option that I can tell VS to not keep track of any of my recent projects (Project MRU Count = 0)

    I have auto save off
    I have Edit and Continue off
    I have Word-wrap off

  • User profile image
    arunpv

    Arran wrote:
    VSS does indeed suck big time.  However Team Foundation Server rocks!


    who says so.. we have around 78-80 C# projects and every time when i say get Latest Version (Recursive) it takes a very looong time to get... its a slow as ***...
    VS2005 IDE keeps crashes...

    I see too many problems with VS 2005 IDE (and i keep clicking send this report to MS) and TFS...  never expected this kind of software quality from M$......Mad I do understand nothing is perfect but atleast the basic things should be stable....

    At the same time we have StarTeam with maybe around 50 projects it opens up real quick and downloads updates fast.... we never had any problems so far... i m not sure why we switched....Mad

    Worst is the TFS Installation.. its a pain in B*** to install.. whoever designed it never thought it should be made less complex and more automated.... for example the installer says you need to installl .NET framework patch which is right on the CD why not install it automatic instead of telling the user to go first install it and then restart the setup.... sorry but thats plain stupid in my opinion.Mad

    Reason i say this because i do write Installation scripts for our product... I automate most of things which are included on the CD it make the installation as easy as possible... (install Framework/SQL Server/Drivers and so on)



  • User profile image
    Red5

    blowdart wrote:
    Ah yes. Well this can be summed up in a single phrase

    "SourceSafe is a steaming pile of dog poo".

    Really. Look at other options, because VSS just does this on a regular basis.


    I'm withholding judgement for now. 

    VSS 6.0c and 6.0d worked very well for us under VS 2003 (1.1 .NET). Actually it required intervention only about 1x a year, and these are for the same projects I have mentioned in this post.  We only recently upgraded to .NET 2.0, VS 2005 last month.

    WTF happened to VSS 2005?
    It seems like more and more software upgrades these days come with decreased performance issues.

  • User profile image
    Frank Hileman

    I don't think the problem is VSS 2005 as much as VS 2005. Using the same old VSS server (no upgrade), VS 2005 is way slower than VS 2003 for just about any source control related operation -- especially get latest, or show pending checkins.

  • User profile image
    Echostorm

    Just a friendly note to the poster 2 or so spots above me.  Using 'm$' in any sort of post shows roughly the same wit and maturity as monkey piss.
    If you have a point to make, make it but know that the second most people see that 'M$' in your post you are immediately written off as a prepubescent nix/apple fanboy troll.

    In regards to the OP.  I hated VSS as well and found TFS a worthy replacement.  However, I must agree that VS2005 is rather laggy with anything larger than a few class project.  Here's hoping they get the SP out sooner than later.

  • User profile image
    phreaks

    Echostorm wrote:
    Just a friendly note to the poster 2 or so spots above me.  Using 'm$' in any sort of post shows roughly the same wit and maturity as monkey piss.
    If you have a point to make, make it but know that the second most people see that 'M$' in your post you are immediately written off as a prepubescent nix/apple fanboy troll.

    In regards to the OP.  I hated VSS as well and found TFS a worthy replacement.  However, I must agree that VS2005 is rather laggy with anything larger than a few class project.  Here's hoping they get the SP out sooner than later.


    Oh thanks for reminding me, that is another thing I did, and my VS 2005 does run much smoother now.

    Install the Beta SP for VS 2005!

    http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=8d702463-674b-4978-9e22-c989130f6553&DisplayLang=en

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.