Coffeehouse Thread

24 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

Wheres the snow?

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    Chadk

So.. Friday, im going skiing in Austria, which is great(I LOVE skiing big time).
    Im going to a very nice area, called Saalbach.

But it seems like global warming(If it even is global warming) have had a massive effect this year.

At this point, theres not very many lifts open, and theres only about 45cm of snow(Some would argue, that, thats alot of snow, but not really, last year, when i was there by the time, there were 110 cm easily)..

So this is kinda sad. Lucky for me, theres a huge geltcher just around the corner, that have snow most of the year! Cool

But where did all the snow go? When i was like 2-3 years old(Im 15), there used to be plenty of snow, even here in denmark. But the last few years, there have hardly been any.

• User profile image
    DigitalDud

Well this is an El Nino year and its being blamed for the fairly quiet hurricane season and is predicted to bring a warmer winter.  On the other hand, over here throughout much of the US its been very, very cold especially last week.

• User profile image
    littleguru

The snow changed name. It is now called rain.

• User profile image
    Chadk

DigitalDud wrote:
    Well this is an El Nino year and its being blamed for the fairly quiet hurricane season and is predicted to bring a warmer winter.  On the other hand, over here throughout much of the US its been very, very cold especially last week.

I want the cold weather to come to europe over night please. We want temperatures way under 0C in the night, so the snow can fall.

But ye, i guess that littleguru is right [C]

• User profile image
    littleguru

Chadk wrote:

DigitalDud wrote: Well this is an El Nino year and its being blamed for the fairly quiet hurricane season and is predicted to bring a warmer winter.  On the other hand, over here throughout much of the US its been very, very cold especially last week.

I want the cold weather to come to europe over night please. We want temperatures way under 0C in the night, so the snow can fall.

But ye, i guess that littleguru is right

I'm here in Vienna... Not that far from your winter skiing ressort. We have temperatures below zero over night. But the days are to worm to make it happen.

• User profile image
    phreaks

I personally am thankful it's been such a mild winter.

I have already save hundred in heating costs, and my train rides into the city to work every morning are so much more comfortable then they would be if it were freezing cold.

Plus, think of the poor squirrels, I bet they really appreciate the mild winter!

• User profile image
    Cannot​Resolve​Symbol

We (in Nashville, TN, US) just got through about a week or so of "unusually cold" and now it looks like we're getting a week of "unusually warm"...  I guess it all averages out in the end.

• User profile image
    Cannot​Resolve​Symbol

phreaks wrote:
    I personally am thankful it's been such a mild winter.

I have already save hundred in heating costs, and my train rides into the city to work every morning are so much more comfortable then they would be if it were freezing cold.

Plus, think of the poor squirrels, I bet they really appreciate the mild winter!

Hmmm...  now here's a thought.  If global warming brings warmer winters, then less natural gas, coal, etc. will be burned to heat buildings, reducing the amount of CO2 in the atomosphere and lessening the effect of global warming.  Tongue Out

• User profile image
    Chadk

phreaks wrote:

No, think about the kittens [C]

• User profile image
    Chadk

CannotResolveSymbol wrote:

phreaks wrote: I personally am thankful it's been such a mild winter.

Hmmm...  now here's a thought.  If global warming brings warmer winters, then less natural gas, coal, etc. will be burned to heat buildings, reducing the amount of CO2 in the atomosphere and lessening the effect of global warming. 

But if it gets hotter in the summer, people will use aircondition, which takes ALOOOOT of power. Thus MANY times more Co2

• User profile image
    ScanIAm

CannotResolveSymbol wrote:

phreaks wrote: I personally am thankful it's been such a mild winter.

Hmmm...  now here's a thought.  If global warming brings warmer winters, then less natural gas, coal, etc. will be burned to heat buildings, reducing the amount of CO2 in the atomosphere and lessening the effect of global warming. 

And there are many, many ways to cook squirrel:

http://www.backwoodsbound.com/zsquir.html

I'm not a fan, but I live in the south and it's almost like a game for southerners to cook up the weirdest food available.

• User profile image
    Angus

Chadk wrote:
    So.. Friday, im going skiing in Austria, which is great(I LOVE skiing big time).

Skiing is a great sport. I am going to Austria in February to ski. Where in Austria are you going?

Angus Higgins

• User profile image
    Red5

We usually have at least 15" of snow on the ground here in Minneapolis, MN this time of year.  We have been known in the past for our very cold winters and winter time leisure activities like snowmobiling, ice fishing, skiing, etc.
    When I was a kid we used to have snow from early November until mid-April.
    Last few years has seen snow only in Jan-Mar.

As of now we have 1/3" which melted long ago.

Current temps are pushing 50 F with lows barely below freezing.

"I'm dreaming, of a, Brown Christmas.  Safe for all kittens and squirrels"

• User profile image
    sc00ter

Yup, where the heck is the snow?   Over here down near Detroit, Michigan, there has only been one snow fall and it dropped maybe 1/2 inch of snow.. lasted about a week.  Its December 13th and we're in the 40-50s. Sad  I don't want another green Christmas. 

• User profile image
    Chadk

Angus wrote:

Chadk wrote: So.. Friday, im going skiing in Austria, which is great(I LOVE skiing big time).

Skiing is a great sport. I am going to Austria in February to ski. Where in Austria are you going?

Angus Higgins

Im going to Saalbach, which is a very good place.

I have also been at Zell am See quite a couple of times, which is also a good place!

• User profile image
    Secret​Software

Global warming is not a fictional thing.

• User profile image
    The J

I live in Detroit, too! It was really cold last week, but this week has been very warm. I hope there's more snow this year than last year, though, as my college is on a large hill that is very good for sledding.

• User profile image
    Tensor

I want some snow between Christmas and New Year. I have a two and a half year old and can imagine the look on his face! The only unfortunate thing is that where I live is flat as a pancake - so sledging is out.

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.