Coffeehouse Thread

32 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

Vista Backup and Restore center

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    athan

Just a simple question ...is it a joke?

I wonder who decided to include this [censored] in Vista.
    A file backup utility that doesn't allow user to select files. Congratulations to MS developers for this smart idea. Expressionless

What comes next, a calculator that cannot add numbers?

• User profile image
    wkempf

sakisp wrote:
    Just a simple question ...is it a joke?

I wonder who decided to include this [censored] in Vista.
    A file backup utility that doesn't allow user to select files. Congratulations to MS developers for this smart idea.

What comes next, a calculator that cannot add numbers?

I've never used it (don't have Vista yet), but...

1.  This is a flame and/or troll post.  No legitimate person would expect an answer from a post like this.  But for other's benefit...

2.  What's a joke is your ability to use the product.  The screen shot here (http://www.microsoft.com/windowsvista/features/foreveryone/backup.mspx) clearly allows you to pick files/folders.

3.  There are many system level backup programs that don't allow you to pick files/folders for backup.  They are SYSTEM level backup programs.  These programs are not a joke, they just aren't what YOU seem to want.

• User profile image
    athan

wkempf wrote:
    I've never used it (don't have Vista yet), but...

1.  This is a flame and/or troll post.  No legitimate person would expect an answer from a post like this.  But for other's benefit...

2.  What's a joke is your ability to use the product.  The screen shot here (http://www.microsoft.com/windowsvista/features/foreveryone/backup.mspx) clearly allows you to pick files/folders.

You have to use Vista Backup before call my post a troll. Wink
    BTW, I don't expect an answer, the above post was my honest reaction when first used that useless thing Microsoft call "Backup and Restore center".

• User profile image
    wkempf

sakisp wrote:

wkempf wrote: I've never used it (don't have Vista yet), but...

You have to use Vista Backup before call my post a troll.
    BTW, I don't expect an answer, the above post was my honest reaction when first used that useless thing Microsoft call "Backup and Restore center".

No, I don't.  Your post was rude at best, and served no purpose other then to let you vent, about something that is most likely your own stupidity.  I haven't used it, but that screen shot I posted sure makes it look simple to me.

You flew off the handle and posted a flame to a public forum.  Sorry, I'm going to call you a troll, and I suspect most people will agree.  Criticism is welcome here, encouraged even, but this was not criticism, it was a troll.

• User profile image
    Antitorgo

I gotta agree with sakisp here. The backup wizard doesn't allow you to select individual files to back up. I didn't see it as a troll, I saw it as a legitimate gripe of someone who is getting frustrated with Vista (I know I am).

The "backup files" option gives you a list of file categories to back up, but nothing to say "backup this directory" or "backup these files".

So -- the backup option is stupid. But then again, it was stupid in XP so why expect anything different? At least it is stupid in a "better" way.

• User profile image
    athan

wkempf wrote:
    No, I don't.  Your post was rude at best, and served no purpose other then to let you vent, about something that is most likely your own stupidity.  I haven't used it, but that screen shot I posted sure makes it look simple to me.

You flew off the handle and posted a flame to a public forum.  Sorry, I'm going to call you a troll, and I suspect most people will agree.  Criticism is welcome here, encouraged even, but this was not criticism, it was a troll.

Before call me names, please think again!
    You're talking about something you only know from screenshots and you call me stupid?

Anyway, I think it's enough ...

• User profile image
    wkempf

sakisp wrote:

wkempf wrote: No, I don't.  Your post was rude at best, and served no purpose other then to let you vent, about something that is most likely your own stupidity.  I haven't used it, but that screen shot I posted sure makes it look simple to me.

Before call me names, please think again!
    You're talking about something you only know from screenshots and you call me stupid?

Anyway, I think it's enough ...

You started the flames, don't gripe to me if I flame back.  There's a proper way to criticise something, and what you did was not proper.  It was a flame/troll.  Period.

Now, if you want to start over, maybe someone can help you out, or you can properly criticise of failing on the software and your criticisms can be addressed.

I was honest in my post about having not used the feature.  Maybe you have a legitimate complaint that's not addressed that I don't get because a) I'm not familiar with the feature and (more importantly) b) you didn't describe at all because you were busy flaming instead of criticising.  The screen shot posted clearly indicates you can select individual files/folders.  So start over, drop the flame, and explain what your issue is.

But calling the feature stupid, even if all it could do is a system level back up (which the screen shot calls into question), is not criticism, its a flame.  You got what you deserved.

• User profile image
    athan

wkempf wrote:
    But calling the feature stupid, even if all it could do is a system level back up (which the screen shot calls into question), is not criticism, its a flame.

Flame or criticism, the question remains the same: How do you call a "file backup" feature that doesn't allow you to select what files and/or folders will be backed up? Personally, I think it's stupid.

• User profile image
    PerfectPhase

sakisp wrote:

wkempf wrote: But calling the feature stupid, even if all it could do is a system level back up (which the screen shot calls into question), is not criticism, its a flame.

Flame or criticism, the question remains the same: How do you call a "file backup" feature that doesn't allow you to select what files and/or folders will be backed up? Personally, I think it's stupid.

I'm with sakisp here.  I think it will be fine for my parents but I just wish that there was an 'advanced' button that would allow me a bit more control.  For example if I want to back up my solidworks files (d:\solidworks) the only option I have is to tick 'Addition File Types' and it backs a whole mess of files up off my entire system.  And god help me if I want to back .zip up but not .iso!!  And don't even get me started if you have vmware on the machine...

This is my biggest gripe with vista the interface has been dummed down so much (fine of average users) but a lot of the power features aren't just hidded, their completely gone!

And why oh why can't I back up to a USB flash drive! (stated in the help as not supported)

As for it being as 'System level backup' as the option to back up files (vs Backup Computer) explicitly states 'does not backup system files' I think we are well and truely in user land here.

• User profile image
    KrakaJap

wkempf:  Adding flame to a flame only makes a larger fire.  Smiley  It's only an opinion he felt the need to express to anyone willing to read (or retort).  And you simply can't argue with people like that because they don't care whether you believe them or not.

But as for opinions... the latest Backup and Restore Center is better than what they did have... if even just a little bit.  What more could you possibly ask for from Microsoft?  They've made consumers wait for what... about 5 years now for a new OS?  Average lines of code per programmer, per year are just over 6000.  Microsoft had about 2000 programmers on Vista and about 10 million lines of code more than Server 2003.  Do the math and that's about 1000 lines of code per programmer, per year.  Smiley  Granted this is relative to Server 2003 but it is still slower than average so my point being... they obviously had some issues during development, other projects outside of the OS, or focused their efforts into better code.  We won't know until Vista becomes widely used.  If wkempf is expecting more... maybe he should apply for a job at Microsoft... specifically on the Backup and Restore Center team.  Smiley  There are plenty of other apps out there that do very well at backing up individual files/folders or creating disk images.  And personally (and I emphasize "personally") I feel that full system backups are far greater than individual file/folder backups anyway.  DVDrs have been cheap for quite some time now so it's really a lot easier to just start a full system backup and go get some fresh air.  Smiley  And if you really must have individual files/folders... blank CDs are even cheaper!  LOL 

PerfectPhase:  dig a little deeper into Vista... you'll find your power tools.  Keep in mind that Vista is designed to be customized with snap-ins, addons, updates, etc.  Most of which will become available directly from Microsoft after Jan. 30th.  Also keep in mind that Vista is modeled for a "web presence" look and feel.  Tools that you would normally look for as an icon in the control panel or Administrative Tools are now found as text links within popups, hints, help files, and pretty much anywhere within the user interface you see text.  And depending on which release you currently have (beta or RTM)... functionality may be drastically different.  Vista is basically Server 2003 with an extreme security overhaul.  Lots of features have been renamed or merged with other features sets.

The only issue I have (or might have) with Vista is NAP.  We have a lot of machines on campus that might potentially be "different" than the rest or slightly less secure due to accessability or performance needs.  NAP would be a wonderful addition to our security but if it's not highly configurable it could segment our network and cause lots of headaches.

• User profile image
    zebrum

I agree with sakisp, any backup utility that doesn't allow you to choose the particular folders to backup is a total joke. I wanted to test the new backup solution so put a few files in Documents and then followed the backup wizard, 10mins later and its copied 600mb of files of various types from all over C: into zips on my other hard drive at which point I cancelled.

• User profile image
    zebrum

I agree with sakisp, any backup utility that doesn't allow you to choose the particular folders to backup is a total joke. I wanted to test the new backup solution so put a few files in Documents and then followed the backup wizard, 10mins later and its copied 600mb of files of various types from all over C: into zips on my other hard drive at which point I cancelled.

• User profile image
    Charles

There's nothing wrong with being passionate... Thing is, if you accuse somebody (like all MS developers...) as being stupid, well, that's not likely to start a civilized debate.

Feedback is important. It's most effective when you give it in a respectful way. That said, you are certainly encouraged to post passionate criticisms here. Just try and be nice.

C

• User profile image
    zebrum

It appears you need to pay a subscription to OneCare Live to get the equivalent backup utility that was in XP. This is could be due to the old MS bundling apps lawsuit.

• User profile image
    Ideas Man

I agree, the backup and restore center does stink for advanced users. While I can see for the average user, just picking simple options like those provided gives them the peace of mind they are looking for, with a very simple UI, advanced users just are alienated by it.

I actually used and was fairly happy with Windows Backup, I used it to backup my data, as well as those on my file server. I can't do that anymore and have been forced to use something else. Due to it's seemingly simplicity, I also used it at various other places, because it did the job very well, now I'm forced to use robocopy, which is better I spose, but it was good enough for what I wanted anyway originally.

• User profile image
    ZippyV

Ideas Man wrote:
    I agree, the backup and restore center does stink for advanced users. While I can see for the average user, just picking simple options like those provided gives them the peace of mind they are looking for, with a very simple UI, advanced users just are alienated by it.

It even stinks for normal users. A couple of weeks ago I set up the backup so that it would take a weekly backup. The only thing that should be backed up is my C:\Users\ folder. I selected every option so that it would certainly backup every file from the users folder (like my emails (*.pst).
    I started the backup and after 2 hours it was still backing stuff up. I cancelled it, removed the option to backup 'other files' so only documents, images, music, ... would be selected. I started the backup again and I noticed that it looked for pictures in the Program Files folder. I got a couple of games installed which have high-res textures in tga format so that's why my backup was taking so long and becoming so big.
    I don't need a backup application to make backups of my program files folder. I already have the disks! Just my Users folder please.

I can't believe I have to create a batch file for a stupid copy-paste-zip operation.

• User profile image
    Ideas Man

ZippyV wrote:
    It even stinks for normal users. A couple of weeks ago I set up the backup so that it would take a weekly backup. The only thing that should be backed up is my C:\Users\ folder. I selected every option so that it would certainly backup every file from the users folder (like my emails (*.pst).
    I started the backup and after 2 hours it was still backing stuff up. I cancelled it, removed the option to backup 'other files' so only documents, images, music, ... would be selected. I started the backup again and I noticed that it looked for pictures in the Program Files folder. I got a couple of games installed which have high-res textures in tga format so that's why my backup was taking so long and becoming so big.

Huh, I didn't know that. I went through the wizard and when it wanted to save and start the backup w/o actually selecting files/folders, I gave up on it.

• User profile image
    Jason Cox

The Backup and Restore Center does one thing well. CompletePC Backup is probaly the best thing to happens to backups on Windows in ages. Sure the Backup Files option has its shortcomings, but who uses that one?
    Smiley

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.