Coffeehouse Thread

40 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

How old were you when you finished studying?

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    littleguru

I'm 24 now and have still 2 years ahead (master). How old were you when you finished studying? I wonder, if I'm late. I'm a little bit behind schedule, because I did a lot of other things during studying - wrote my own ORM, did a lot internships, did courses, wrote articles, ...

Anyway: How old were you when you got out of university with your diploma?

• User profile image
    Secret​Software

I never finished studying. Studying lasts for a lifetime. Cant put a number on it really. Life is a learning experiance.

• User profile image
    An_Angel

I've never stopped studying and learning new stuff.  It's part of what I do and who I am Smiley 

• User profile image
    littleguru

Hmmm. My question was more how old you were when you exited university...

• User profile image
    Dr Herbie

Lets see, potted history:

18 - 22 undergraduate degree
    22-23 Masters degree
    23 - 26 the wilderness years
    26 - 30 Phd.

Now feel like I have catching up to do.

Herbie

• User profile image
    dahat

23: Undergrad
    25: Masters
    26+: ?

• User profile image
    die-Sel

15-17: Drunk
    17-21: Stoned and Drunk
    23: ???

• User profile image
    WBurggraaf

Well I did the hard way Smiley. Our(Netherlands) school system really differs from other Country's. So I began in the middle level of the school system. Graduated school on my 21st as a system administrator. Went working. Got my Microsoft Certified Application Developer certificate last summer. And now on my 24th I'm going to start on my new job as Medior Software Engineer(with 3years experience as a OO programmer) on University level. A friend of mine almost has his bachelor degree and than he starts as a Junior Software Engineer. And we graduated together from the same school we were on together 3 years ago.

• User profile image
    eagle

I was 23, but you never finish and nobody ever told me that at school....

• User profile image
    littleguru

eagle wrote:
    I was 23, but you never finish and nobody ever told me that at school....
    That's clear... life is learning. Especially in IT. I was awake this night and thought about how old I'm and how long it still takes until I'm finally done with university...

That's why I posted this question.

• User profile image
    t63094

I got my degree at 40 and have never stopped studying.  You can't in this business.

• User profile image
    JohnAskew

ROFL, die-Sel.  To quote Janis Joplin: "You, me, and Bobby McGhee."

B.S. in Computer Science in Dec. 1993 when I was 32.

• User profile image
    Yggdrasil

littleguru wrote:
    Anyway: How old were you when you got out of university with your diploma?

I only started studying when I was 24, taking on a humanities degree alongside full time programming work. This didn't work out time-wise, so after a couple of years of taking a course here and there I've cut down to part-time work and taking my studies more seriously. I should finish my BA in 2009 - when I'm 30.

Life is more fun when you're in no hurry.

• User profile image
    Ping

Learning is a life time journey. I haven't even start uni yet.
    I wonder how long does each degree/qualification take in different countries? I know in England Uni-3 years
                                                  master-1year
                                                  PhD- 3 year
     Medicin takes longer

whereas in China           uni--4 years
                                           master-2 year
                                           PhD-4 years

• User profile image
    Dr Herbie

Ping wrote:
    Learning is a life time journey. I haven't even start uni yet.
    I wonder how long does each degree/qualification take in different countries? I know in England Uni-3 years
                                                  master-1year
                                                  PhD- 3 year
     Medicin takes longer

whereas in China           uni--4 years
                                           master-2 year
                                           PhD-4 years

Scottish degree is 4 years, but we start a year earlier that England. A Phd in the UK get funding for three years, but you can take more time to finish (unpaid).

Herbie

• User profile image
    Angus

I haven't finished studying, but I expect that the earliest I will finish would be 22 years old. I still have AS/A2 Levels to do, and then the university course I hope to take can be either 3 or 4 years (I would like to do the extra year, so I would be there for 4 years). After that I'm not sure whether I will try and complete another qualification, or get a job, but I would probably say that I will finish most my studying at about 22 years of age.

Angus Higgins

• User profile image
    Ping

Angus wrote:
    I haven't finished studying, but I expect that the earliest I will finish would be 22 years old. I still have AS/A2 Levels to do, and then the university course I hope to take can be either 3 or 4 years (I would like to do the extra year, so I would be there for 4 years). After that I'm not sure whether I will try and complete another qualification, or get a job, but I would probably say that I will finish most my studying at about 22 years of age.

Angus Higgins

Not even master degree? what kind of good job can u get without a decent qualification? there's graduated university student everywhere.

I'll get a master I think, That's the minimum level my parents hoping me to get.

• User profile image
    Angus

Ping wrote:

Not even master degree? what kind of good job can u get without a decent qualification? there's graduated university student everywhere.

I'll get a master I think, That's the minimum level my parents hoping me to get.

Well, I would like to go on to do a further qualification, but this course would be a very valuable one, and often, most jobs would not be entirely suited to the particular qualification, and thus, it could be more profitable to show to the employer that you are serious about studying and can commit to something and then begin training with them than going on to do further education that may or may not result in a better career prospect. I will decide on further education when I consider the job I want to do when I am older, I am currently undecided. The degree is a Mathematics degree which I will do because I want to study Mathematics to a high level, not due to a specific job.

In a lot of jobs once you have proved to the emplyer that you can study to a high level (by obtaining a degree, etc.) it isn't necessary to have it in a specific subject.

I wouldn't mind going into investment banking, or stock broking and as such, Mathematics could be helpful, but not necessarily the style of Mathematics I wish to do. I would, however be able to show the employer that I have at least a small amount of intelligence, and therefore it would give me a better chance of getting into the job.

It would be nice to study for a PhD, but I don't want to be stuck in education for too long, I want to be progressing through a company so that I will be earning as much money as possible, as soon as possible. Tongue Out

Angus Higgins

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.