Coffeehouse Thread

40 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

How old were you when you finished studying?

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    Sampy

Got my BS in CS at 21. Started at Microsoft a month later.

• User profile image
    kettch

I was 18, but I did drop out of high school two years early to go to the local community college for an AS degree. I've mentioned in other threads that school and I don't get along (to put it lightly), so I won't get into the details. Suffice to say that I have not and will not be pursuing any further education other than what I teach myself. So far that hasn't been an obstacle to getting the employment I want, so I'm not worried.

• User profile image
    AdamKinney

I finished "studying" in the US Army when I was 21, then I started working with computers.  Never did try the whole "university" thing Smiley

• User profile image
    ddewbofh

Speaking of studies...

For reasons out of my control I couldn't get the eduation I wanted, nor will I ever be able to. Needless to say I'm looking into other options and I'm kinda curious over how important the various MS certifications really are? If it actually means something I would definatly pursue them but the impression I've gotten so far is pretty much "Good to have on your resumé but nothing substantial." Any experiences?

• User profile image
    figuerres

SecretSoftware wrote:
    I never finished studying. Studying lasts for a lifetime. Cant put a number on it really. Life is a learning experiance.

Yeah, and while I took some cc stuff no fancy degree....

never stop learning...

• User profile image
    Colin Angus Mackay

littleguru wrote:
    How old were you when you finished studying?
    Anyway: How old were you when you got out of university with your diploma?

Now, those are two totally different questions.

I finished Uni' at the age of 22.

I'm now 32 and I'm still studying and I will continue to do so until technology stagnates - which just ain't gonna happen in the forseeable future.

• User profile image
    Colin Angus Mackay

eagle wrote:
    I was 23, but you never finish and nobody ever told me that at school....

You sound bitter about that... like it came as a disappointment.

• User profile image
    Colin Angus Mackay

Ping wrote:
     Not even master degree? what kind of good job can u get without a decent qualification? there's graduated university student everywhere.
    That is kind of elitist thinking there. I have to admit I used to think the same way. However, I've now found that experience counts for more than qualifications. These days I'd be more concerned about someone who had spent too much time in academia because it is a big jump to the world of business. The more time you spend there the more set in your ways you can get. I know of people who have done very badly at uni, but outshone everyone as a professional developer and vice versa. Of course, I know people that did well in uni' and did well in business too. What I'm really saying is that qualifications are not a marker as to how good a person is in the business world.

• User profile image
    Colin Angus Mackay

ddewbofh wrote:
    I'm kinda curious over how important the various MS certifications really are? If it actually means something I would definatly pursue them but the impression I've gotten so far is pretty much "Good to have on your resumé but nothing substantial." Any experiences?

MS Certification is especially useful if you are going for a job with a Microsoft Partner. Also, the act of studying for them will reinforce the knowledge you have and you'll learn things too. For my MSCD I learned lots of useful stuff that I'd not touched prior to that, but knowing what was there and what it could do has been very useful.

• User profile image
    TimP

I'm 19 now, looking to be finished by 21, just shy of 22.

• User profile image
    Charles

Graduated from college at 24.

• User profile image
    Raghavendra_​Mudugal

Colin Angus Mackay wrote:
     However, I've now found that experience counts for more than qualifications.

Mr. Mackay, Thank You, for this line it gives me strength. Smiley And, littlegure, thanks for this valuable thread, reading all great niners reply was really really useful. Wink, Me, finished college ar 21 (incomplete) and later did'nt had time to go uni and that was the end of my education. All from there, working as programmer from last 8 years. I guess, I need to gather lots of experience in working, so it adds value to my resume.

Anyway. Thanks once again.

• User profile image
    WBurggraaf

Ping wrote:
     Not even master degree? what kind of good job can u get without a decent qualification? there's graduated university student everywhere.

I'll get a master I think, That's the minimum level my parents hoping me to get.

That’s true, but what do you do if the school system kicks you down. When I was 12 my teachers wanted to send me to the lowest level in our school system, just because I was more interested in computers than in school stuff. Since then I always was busy learning stuff about computing and software (began programming when I was 14) and never really did a thing for school until I went working and met my true passion. So I did an iq test got 130. On my job interview for the Software Engineer job I event didn’t need to explain what my school background was, I only needed to do a test and explain what I knew about software development on university engineering level and voila I got the job, witch I’m really happy about Smiley.

• User profile image
    Dr Herbie

Ping wrote:  Not even master degree? what kind of good job can u get without a decent qualification? there's graduated university student everywhere.
    That is kind of elitist thinking there. I have to admit I used to think the same way. However, I've now found that experience counts for more than qualifications.

Yes, but when it comes to the decision between two candidates with aparently equal experience, many employers will choose the one with the MSc. simply because it's an extra 'point' on their CV.

Also, in larger companies where there are many applicants at once, an MSc can reduce the chances of being immediately put on the 'discard' pile (I've heard horror stories about the graduate recruitment process at large, famous companies: stamp on the envelope squint? Discard. Addressed in blue pen? Discard ...).

Herbie.

• User profile image
    blowdart

Ping wrote: Not even master degree? what kind of good job can u get without a decent qualification? there's graduated university student everywhere.
    That is kind of elitist thinking there. I have to admit I used to think the same way. However, I've now found that experience counts for more than qualifications.

I don't have a degree. Although I'm bored enough to be doing one part time these days. At work we don't really care about degrees at all, and everyone I've worked for hasn't either.

Of course it's an opinion if my job is "good" or not. I'd wonder what sort of a good job you can get if you use text-speak like U *grin*

• User profile image
    eagle

eagle wrote: I was 23, but you never finish and nobody ever told me that at school....

You sound bitter about that... like it came as a disappointment.

Education is an industry; University’s sell a solution that sustains THEM but doesn’t teach you how to learn.

I'm still studying and I will continue to do so until technology stagnates - which just ain't gonna happen in the forseeable future.

School always got in the way of my education.

• User profile image
    littleguru

eagle wrote:
    Education is an industry; University’s sell a solution that sustains THEM but doesn’t teach you how to learn.

The only thing I got from university so far is that they told me HOW to learn... HOW to solve problems on my own and HOW to break problems into smaller problems that are easier to solve.

• User profile image
    Dr Herbie

littleguru wrote:

eagle wrote: Education is an industry; University’s sell a solution that sustains THEM but doesn’t teach you how to learn.

The only thing I got from university so far is that they told me HOW to learn... HOW to solve problems on my own and HOW to break problems into smaller problems that are easier to solve.

Me too.  How to use a library is the only thing that I really remember (apart from some of the central concepts from my subjects).

But Eagle has a point, Universities tend to stay with the mainstream and can sometimes discourage original thought. They are driven by funding (at least in the UK).

Herbie

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.