Coffeehouse Thread

7 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

Can WPF beused in a business App

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    Gravy

I'm guessing the answer is yes, of course, but do you think WPF is currently at a stage to be used in business apps.

I suspect the tools are letting WPF down at the moment for main stream development, am I right or wrong?

Anyone using WPF for a line of business application right now?

All the best for Christmas!

Graham

• User profile image
    Dr Herbie

Because it's new, all the focus on WPF is on the fancy-smancy stuff like spinning 3D logos.

It can be used to create standard looking UIs too (but ones that scale well if the user wants to zoom in)  and I think the majority of new business apps will start off like that, maybe adding some fancy 3D data views (charts, etc) when appropriate.

However, I do expect to see a rash of very graphical, but not necessarily practical interfaces as people get used to the new bits.

Herbie

• User profile image
    Harlequin

Spinning logos? He was asking about business apps, which I'd think would most benefit with WPF. You can do WCF-based charts, multi-tabbed wizard-like forms. You're only limited by your imagination. We've all seen that hospital WPF video.

• User profile image
    littleguru

Dr Herbie wrote:
    It can be used to create standard looking UIs too (but ones that scale well if the user wants to zoom in)  and I think the majority of new business apps will start off like that, maybe adding some fancy 3D data views (charts, etc) when appropriate.

However, I do expect to see a rash of very graphical, but not necessarily practical interfaces as people get used to the new bits.

Yes... That's also what I was thinking about. I held also a course a month ago where the guys asked me if they can mix WinForms and WPF. They want only to do the 3D parts with WPF as they have already an existing WinForms app. After that they are going to migrate step by step.

• User profile image
    Gravy

Cool.

The reason I asked is that I am help plan our next major release of our enterprise app, and I would love to use WPF.

Cheers

• User profile image
    Dr Herbie

Harlequin wrote:
    Spinning logos? He was asking about business apps, which I'd think would most benefit with WPF. You can do WCF-based charts, multi-tabbed wizard-like forms. You're only limited by your imagination. We've all seen that hospital WPF video.

Never underestimate the power of the spinning 3D logo. I've seen grown men act like excited little boys when seeing their company logo spinning away. It'll be the first thing they ask for.  Trust me.

Herbie

• User profile image
    JohnAskew

I don't want to be too abrasive, but, "well, duh!".

WPF will sell easily just as quickly as apps useful for biz is readied.

Why are personable employees hired for their personalities?

For the same reason, software is purchased for it's functionality AND enjoyment.

WPF is very enjoyable, imho. Just make it function for biz and ZOOM!

micro-ISV anyone else this way?  Cool

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.