Coffeehouse Thread

41 posts

Technical Account Manager Interview

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    danielny

I have a 2nd round interview in January for a Technical Account Manager position. Does anybody know how Technical Account Manager interviews are conducted? I have found information on the SDE/SDET interviews but not Technical Account Manager interviews. Are they as challenging as SDE/SDET interviews? I believe there is little or no coding, is this correct? If there is no coding what does the interview focus on? If anybody at Microsoft or somebody who has had a Technical Account Manager interview can answer these questions I would greatly appreciate it.

• User profile image
    danielny

Anybody?

• User profile image
    amd_duron

While I am not a MS employee the best advice I can give is the same I give to everyone.
    1. Be honest.
    2. Be professional.
    3. Be humble.
    4. Pride is good but it can get in the way too, be aware of how you present yourself.

• User profile image
    fatfrank

So you're getting interviewed for a job you obviously know nothing about - if you had done any research at all you would know how much coding a TAM does (answer: zero).

I suggest you read up more on the role description - there are plenty on the microsoft.com careers site, that will give you an idea as to what sort of qualities you will be expected to have...

• User profile image
    danielny

I have read almost all the information I can find on Microsoft's career page.  I also said in my original post that I didn't believe there was any coding from the descriptions but I wanted to be 100% certain. 

• User profile image
    Zeo

Daniel,
             I'm a Microsoft employee. I know a lot about the interview process. If you have specific questions please send me an email and I can personally answer your questions.

Good luck!

Big Smile

• User profile image
    saporis

Zeo wrote:
    Daniel,
             I'm a Microsoft employee. I know a lot about the interview process. If you have specific questions please send me an email and I can personally answer your questions.

Good luck!

That's what I loved about being at the Redmond campus, so many GREAT people there!

I was sitting in the interview-lounge and there were so many "smug" people there, but the MS staff, awesome! Smiley

(I also got up and played the 360 for the first time in my life...for like an hour and no one else wanted to play a round with me Sad, so much fun none-the-less)

• User profile image
    danielny

I have been in contact with Zeo and a few other Microsoft employees and they are great.  The guys at Microsoft have been willing to go out of there way to help me and I really appreciate it.  I hope that I can be as helpful if I get this job at Microsoft.  Again thanks again guys you will never know how much this means to me!

• User profile image
    Yagumo

I have also been in contact with Zeo. He is so great and I have written down most of the key points he suggested.
    Agree with what Daniel said,  the guys at Microsoft are so willing to help people and I really appreciate it.  Thanks so much, I will give the interview my best shot.

Yagumo

• User profile image
    Zeo

More than happy to help. If anyone's coming to interview at microsoft and would like some feedback and or more information please don't hesitate to email me from channel 9(click the little mail icon on my profile - on the left of this post <--).

And after you have your interview, take a break and relax because you've just experienced one of the most stressful interviews on the face of the planet.

Good luck to all the candidates! Big Smile

• User profile image
    Gambit

Zeo wrote:

More than happy to help. If anyone's coming to interview at microsoft and would like some feedback and or more information please don't hesitate to email me from channel 9(click the little mail icon on my profile - on the left of this post <--).

And after you have your interview, take a break and relax because you've just experienced one of the most stressful interviews on the face of the planet.

Good luck to all the candidates!

I'll take you up on that if I get called up there. I had a phone interview with the IIS team a few minutes ago. It went well(I think so) so I may be going up there for a round of interviews.

• User profile image
    tee

Hi Yagumo,

How was the interview experience?

Tee

• User profile image
    tee

How was the interview?

• User profile image
    r_mithraa

Hey everyone,

Has anyone interviewed for TAM position so far? I have the 2nd round of interviews for TAM next week. I am trying to find if I'll be faced with any technical questions, but I dont see any info regarding that anywer. Help!!!

Mithra

• User profile image
    tee

hey danielny
    How did your interview go?
    I will be interviewing for the same position, any tips or advice?
    please reply.

• User profile image
    defstream

Ahh the great building 19.

saporis wrote:

Zeo wrote: Daniel,

Good luck!

That's what I loved about being at the Redmond campus, so many GREAT people there!

I was sitting in the interview-lounge and there were so many "smug" people there, but the MS staff, awesome!

(I also got up and played the 360 for the first time in my life...for like an hour and no one else wanted to play a round with me , so much fun none-the-less)

• User profile image
    effiniti

Here are some online resources for those curious on the specifics of a Technical Account Manager (TAM) Role

Technical Account Manager Role Details: http://www.microsoft.com/emea/careers/consultingJobs/technicalaccount.mspx

A Week in the life of a TAM: http://download.microsoft.com/download/e/9/d/e9df53f8-3069-4fe4-bdbd-0d7abd86488a/Careers%20TAM%20ds%20210307.pdf

Some pointers on the interview process:
    1. There are not many resources online which details the interview process for a TAM. Thus, if you have any doubts, please ask the Recruitment Consultant early.

2. Consider if the TAM role is specific to a single product line (e.g. Windows Live) or for a broad range of products (Windows Server Systems or Microsoft Dynamics).

3. It is important, for yourself, to know the real reason why you wish to work for Microsoft, as a TAM.

4. The actual interview day might be very long, get ready a couple of energy drinks to keep the energy level high.

5. Understand the business division. Overview of Microsoft's Business Divisions: http://www.microsoft.com/about/companyinformation/ourbusinesses/business.mspx
    Which division(s) does the TAM report to?

6. Interviewers would try their best to understand the candidate's thought process. Keep up your confidence even in the face of probing questions.

All the best to everyone who is having a TAM interview.Cool

• User profile image
    Hooman

I have my first technical Interview on Monday.... any help guys would be appreciate it.

Hooman

Comments closed

Comments have been closed since this content was published more than 30 days ago, but if you'd like to continue the conversation, please create a new thread in our Forums, or Contact Us and let us know.