Coffeehouse Thread

59 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

WMP Group - PLEASE FIX WMP You broke it!

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    Lloyd_Humph

And it wont bloody play my MP4s.  Thats just stupid!

If Blackberrys are addictive cellphones, Channel9 is the ultimate addictive website.
    Last modified
  • User profile image
    Escamillo

lonecrow wrote:
    I have a simply request concerning most versions of WMP.  Why is there not a simply file -> open system?

I have been using Microsoft products since pre-windows and whenever I open WMP to load a video and find myself searching around for some way to play it.  I don't want to create a play list, I don't want to add anything to my library I simply want to play the video.

Typically I just go to Windows Explorer and do a right-click play but by then I choose to play with VLC since WMP has let me down.

This trend in interface design seems to be spreading.  I recently changed my OS to Vista and I am constantly faced with new metaphores with no (obvious) option to fall back on old metaphores.

-from the pet peeves dept

I know not how it works on Vista, but on XP, if you right-click the title bar of WMP, you get all the "classic" menus, including the File menu with the "Open" command.  Doing this also gets you the "Show Classic Menus" command, which restores the classic menus back to the top of the window, and leaves them there until the user decides otherwise.  

• User profile image
    DCMonkey

Drag the video from its folder onto WMP. It will start playing.

• User profile image
    Royal​Schrubber

lonecrow wrote:
    I have a simply request concerning most versions of WMP.  Why is there not a simply file -> open system?

I have been using Microsoft products since pre-windows and whenever I open WMP to load a video and find myself searching around for some way to play it.  I don't want to create a play list, I don't want to add anything to my library I simply want to play the video.

Typically I just go to Windows Explorer and do a right-click play but by then I choose to play with VLC since WMP has let me down.

This trend in interface design seems to be spreading.  I recently changed my OS to Vista and I am constantly faced with new metaphores with no (obvious) option to fall back on old metaphores.

-from the pet peeves dept

I DO NOT KNOW WHAT YOU ARE TALKING ABOUT. Please be more clear next time.

I am using WMP11 *constantly* - to open video files, to listen to music, everything.
    I find it more complete than any other media software and I have tried quite a few on Windows and on Linux.

• User profile image
    Royal​Schrubber

BryanF wrote:
    Maybe the next rev of channel9 needs the ability to automatically close threads that haven't been active for a month or so. At some point it becomes easier to start a new conversation rather than asking people to reread an old thread to reestablish context.

Do not agree! Although it's stupid to resurect stupic topics. If we delete old topics than would in some way mean we killed our discusions and I do not like that our discusions were in vain.

Charles, Jeff, Rory, your thoughts? Could you preserve current topics when C9v4 comes out? Thanks.

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.