Coffeehouse Thread

24 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

Vista + NVIDIA + UAC = Screen flashes

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    tsutton

Is it just me or everytime UAC comes up, my screen goes black and then back on, wth the UAC prompt. I click Continue - the screen goes black again and then back to normal.

Is it a bug of NVIDIA drivers (I'm using the latest Vista drivers) or something else?

My thoughts is that it's the NVIDIA drivers because with the ATI card & drivers, it's smooth, no screen flashes, just the UAC prompt coming up, clicked a button and it goes away.

Annoying...

Does anyone know anything about this? Has Microsoft or NVIDIA acknowledged this?

Thanks all

Tony

• User profile image
    A*

The same thing happens to me using the latest ATI drivers... :\

Does anyone know about this is?  I'm think it has to do with the Secure Desktop that UAC runs in...

• User profile image
    Cannot​Resolve​Symbol

Old news...  it's still a driver bug, just like it's always been.

NVidia needs to get their act together on their Vista drivers...  they're the ones known for having good driver support.

• User profile image
    W3bbo

CannotResolveSymbol wrote:
    NVidia needs to get their act together on their Vista drivers...  they're the ones known for having good driver support.

It's relative: "good" since their drivers are the least crap.

I have issues with their "unified driver architecture", it means you have to play russian roulette with the version numbers and pray your system doesn't BSoD. They can't just say "this is the driver for that chipset" but instead "all of these drivers technically work" with no official word on which one is best, forcing me to rely on anecdotal evidence from posters on HardOCP's or Guru3D's forums.

My motherboard has an nForce chipset, for example, and with the "recommended" drivers from nVidia's website, disabling the built-in NIC from within Windows gives me a BSOD.

During installation of my GeForce 6800GT's drivers my system dies with an nv4_mini BSOD. It's still a better experience than I've had with ATI's though. But I really hate nVidia's new driver CP: it's terribly implemented.

Microsoft really should be more stringent in their quality standards for such things as essential as display drivers, how nVidia's drivers passed WHQL is anyone's guess.

• User profile image
    stevo_

This was asked some time ago on this forum, I gave a reply then that I was told by a MS employee on shell revealed.

Which basically went, the flicker should always occur because the desktop has to be 'grabbed' as a screenshot, unloaded. Secure desktop loaded and the grab applied as a background to look as if you didnt ~really~ leave the desktop. He also said that it was unlikely to be fixed in the version of WDDM? that comes with Vista atm, but likely to be fixed in future versions.

• User profile image
    W3bbo

stevo_ wrote:
    Which basically went, the flicker should always occur because the desktop has to be 'grabbed' as a screenshot, unloaded. Secure desktop loaded and the grab applied as a background to look as if you didnt ~really~ leave the desktop.

What if you want to know you're on the Secure Desktop?

/coming from someone who changed the GINA GP settings to show verbose information

• User profile image
    tsutton

Thanks for the replies, everyone.

Guess we'll have to wait until they release a new & improved driver.

Hopefully we won't have to wait too long! Perhaps on or around Jan 30th?

• User profile image
    FXEF

Maybe ATI and nVidia are throwing all their resources to building Linux drivers these days. Come on guys, loosen up.... what's a little flicker? You got Vista!

• User profile image
    Cannot​Resolve​Symbol

FXEF wrote:
    Maybe ATI and nVidia are throwing all their resources to building Linux drivers these days. Come on guys, loosen up.... what's a little flicker? You got Vista!

Not like Linux drivers will even be an issue if FSF has its way.

• User profile image
    FXEF

CannotResolveSymbol wrote:

FXEF wrote:Maybe ATI and nVidia are throwing all their resources to building Linux drivers these days. Come on guys, loosen up.... what's a little flicker? You got Vista!

Not like Linux drivers will even be an issue if FSF has its way.

Think Postive! ATI and nVidia are writting open source drivers, that's what FSF wants.

• User profile image
    tsutton

New NVIDIA drivers released...

http://www.nvidia.com/object/winvista_x86_97.46.html

Going to try it.

• User profile image
    Sven Groot

The x64 version of those new drivers don't even install over here.

• User profile image
    AthemeX

I did have the same issue with the beta drivers of nvidia, so I disabled UAC.. now I recently installed the x64 RTM drivers and re-enabled UAC but haven't rebooted since. Maybe i'll do so later today.

Anyway this is really annoying and is defenatly a reason for me to turn of UAC. Expressionless

• User profile image
    ChZ

Actually theres a simple but effective way to prevent those screen blackouts. I had the same problem.

As said above the screen is a driver "bug" in vista, and when the uac starts windows freezes the screen till we give him (or not) permition.
     So theres always the chance of make vista stop this operation, and this will fully stop those flashing screens.

Here are the registry files that will turn off this. Note that uac will still work. The only difference is that you can interact with the desktop/programs opent with uac window on. 

http://www.howtogeek.com/geekers/DisableSecureDesktop.zip

This hint was based in a howtogeek.com article.

I hope this helps you.

• User profile image
    ManipUni

ChZ said:
    Actually theres a simple but effective way to prevent those screen blackouts. I had the same problem.

As said above the screen is a driver "bug" in vista, and when the uac starts windows freezes the screen till we give him (or not) permition.
     So theres always the chance of make vista stop this operation, and this will fully stop those flashing screens.

Here are the registry files that will turn off this. Note that uac will still work. The only difference is that you can interact with the desktop/programs opent with uac window on. 

http://www.howtogeek.com/geekers/DisableSecureDesktop.zip

This hint was based in a howtogeek.com article.

I hope this helps you.
    Thanks ChZ.

I think I can live without secure desktop, herd immunity will protect me from any unscrupulous software trying to trick me into accepting.

• User profile image
    Sven Groot

ManipUni said:
    ChZ said:
    *snip*
    Thanks ChZ.

I think I can live without secure desktop, herd immunity will protect me from any unscrupulous software trying to trick me into accepting.
    This is an old thread, but for reference, all these things can be controlled with group policy. If you open gpedit.msc, and go to Computer Configuration, Windows Settings, Security Settings, Local Policies, Security Options, you will find many options that can control UAC in detail, including the use of the secure desktop. I don't think gpedit.msc is available on the home editions though.

• User profile image
    Cream​Filling512

You'd think that since this sort of thing happened since XP (when fast user switching) that they'd make video drivers with smoother video resets.

• User profile image
    Dr Herbie

The flickering is dependent on which version of the nVidia drivers you have -- I've had versions where the flicker was bad and version where is was non-existent. 

However, I don't see UAC that often any more (since my setup stabilised), so it's not really an issue anyway.

Herbie

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.