Coffeehouse Thread

21 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

Is the PC Dying?

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    Secret​Software

Hi
       Do you think the PC is dying? I find more and more people turning to MACs and many dont really own a PC, they just use their mobile gadgets with net connection. I only see people with PCs in office buildings or public place. And more and more people are buying MACs for gifts. So Is the PC a dying thing? Is it so 90s now? Or is it the case the people don't want to sit for long hours and want to be on the move and this makes the pc look like a relic thing?

The percentage of people buying new desktops is not like it was during the 90s, back then you see pcs everywhere, but now you hardly find people using it. Most of the desktop pcs sit idle for long hours. while cell phones , ipods, small gadgets are burning and crunching binaries like crazy.

Even programmers, they dont really buy desktop, most buy mobile devices, because they would be on the move always.

I think in the next decade, the pc will not be what it is, either evolves, or dies.

More importantly how will Vista affect the PC? If Vista sinks, will it take the PC along with it?

So what do you think?

• User profile image
    Bas

I don't know anybody who owns a Mac. And if there's hardly anyone using PC's nowadays, then I apparently live in a place where time stood still.

In short, no. I think it still has a long ways to go.

• User profile image
    Ion Todirel

cmon man, be serious, if you have an account here that does't mean you can post all the crap here

• User profile image
    JohnAskew

If you consider rotary phones dead, then yes, else no.

Why? Metamorphosis.

I fully expect this:

TV + PC + Phone + Game Consoles + Stereo + Hi-def + home alarm + home sensors 

to be integrated in one large refridgerator sized box that will shrink to wrist-watch size in a decade.

Wait, we're > 1/2 way there now...

• User profile image
    Secret​Software

JohnAskew wrote:
    If you consider rotary phones dead, then yes, else no.

Why? Metamorphosis.

I fully expect this:

TV + PC + Phone + Game Consoles + Stereo + Hi-def + home alarm + home sensors 

to be integrated in one large refridgerator sized box that will shrink to wrist-watch size in a decade.

Wait, we're > 1/2 way there now...

Bill gates talked about that , and said he is looking for all your electronics to talk to eachother.

But I think its dying in the form we know it. Its going to evolve or just disappear in the next years to come.

people who wear glasses, can use the lense to view their doctuments, and it will communicate wirelessly with the world.

As devices get smaller and smaller, many people will switch to better things. Now people are looking for quality and security, and that is going to make the PC obsolete.

• User profile image
    kettch

MACs? I use them every day. In fact billions of people rely on MACs to go about their business. Even Microsoft has tens of thousands of MACs.

Sorry, I don't mean to seem rude or anything, it's just that I saw MAC in all caps and thought Media Access Control, and it just struck me as funny.

I only know one person who bought a Mac, and I think she did it accidently because she let the dimwit at the computer store choose a high comission item for her. She ended up taking it back after she found out that she would need to buy new copies of all her PC software, and that some of the software had no Mac equivalent.

• User profile image
    jolson88

No, I don't think PCs are dying. However, I do think Desktops are dying. The majority of people that I know that have purchased new computers did not purchase desktops. Also, they did not purchase Macs (although I have a strong desire to buy one Tongue Out). They purchased notebooks. I see more and more people buying notebooks.

You only need to walk around almost any airport in the world to realize that PCs are _not_ "on the way out." In my travel to Singapore and Amsterdam recently, I lost count of how many notebooks I saw people using in airports. And not just geeks. I'm talking about kids, grandparents, etc.

I do think that computers are becoming more media-centric though. Most "normal" people I saw in airports on this trip with laptops were watching DVDs or playing video games on them.

• User profile image
    PaoloM

And, according to the latest SEC filing, Apple sold 3% less desktops than last year.

So, maybe they're not buying Macs everywhere...

(note: Apple also sold 42% more laptops year to year Wink)

• User profile image
    KosherCoder

I think desktops will slowly disappear. I see it already. More and more offices are providing their people with notebooks. Personally, my entire family is all mobile now as well. 
    It will take a while, but as the performance and ability differences continue to disappear, I believe the desktop will ultimately go the way of Eniac. As Mobile Broadband continues to increase bandwidth, it will help things too.

• User profile image
    kettch

thumbtacks wrote:
    Numerous times this season I heard "I want an iPod" not "I want a Zune". That's indicative of where the market is at. That said, I still am only seeing Macs in creative shops or hair salons.

This is just the way the market works. It's not always that the better product wins (I'm not explicitly saying the Zune is the better product here). All the people I know who say "I want an iPod" want one not because of any sort of technical merits, but because they are trendy, and their friends have one. A lot of people seem to not even be able to tell the difference between an iPod and any other mp3 player on the market. They are all just "iPods". While this is ultimately good for Apple's position in the DAP market, it sucks for any other worthy products that might be trying to enter the market.

KosherCoder wrote:
    I think desktops will slowly disappear. I see it already. More and more offices are providing their people with notebooks. Personally, my entire family is all mobile now as well. 
    It will take a while, but as the performance and ability differences continue to disappear, I believe the desktop will ultimately go the way of Eniac. As Mobile Broadband continues to increase bandwidth, it will help things too.

A lot is going to have to happen for that to become a reality. First, docking stations will have to become a lot more popular. I like laptops, but I hate laptop keyboards. So I need to be able to dock my laptop and use a real keyboard, mouse, and monitor. Sure there are laptops with huge monitors, but they suck for mobility (Show me a 15" laptop with a 30" screen that folds or rolls up into the same size as the rest of the laptop, and I'm sold).

Laptops might become more popular with the consumer market, but anybody who wants to be able to upgrade their hardware will want to stick with desktop. Unless laptops become a whole lot more upgradable, that's going to be a hinderance.

Another issue is performance, sure there are some real powerhouse laptops out there, but they are expensive. The price vs performance numbers for laptops aren't very good.

One that see a lot is heat. I have a friend who has a 19" high-end laptop, and that thing puts out enough heat to make an Eniac out of anybody. Wink Forget about putting it on anything other than a table top. If you leave it laying on a bed for too long, it will overheat. Sure, it might be possible to push more heat out the side vents, but that would involve more noisy power hungry fans.

• User profile image
    KosherCoder

You're right Kettch.
    My observation is just in my little part of the world. I see more and more desktops being replaced with notebooks. It will be a long time coming, but as the heat and flexibility needs are addressed, I do believe ultimately the desktop will become a dinosaur. The shift is already very slowly happening.

• User profile image
    PerfectPhase

thumbtacks wrote:
    Numerous times this season I heard "I want an iPod" not "I want a Zune". That's indicative of where the market is at. That said, I still am only seeing Macs in creative shops or hair salons.

I hear that a lot, mainly cause I CAN'T buy the damed thing over here in the UK yet!

• User profile image
    YuviPanda

Over here in India, PCs rule. When you hear the word computers, it refers to PCs. Macs won't get a friggin foothold in India: the only mac I've seen with my eyes is a one at my school, but that's a 9 year old machine that's used as a hand rest now, even though it works.

The reason? Macs are too costly here. And, when they know that most of the games and software won't work, that they can't get support from their friends, and that they work pretty differently, nobody wants to buy them ever.

Remember, over here, a 400$ a month income is *pretty significant*, so shellin out for a Mac or a Powerbook is just plain stupid:D

• User profile image
    Xaero_​Vincent

There will always be a damand for stationary systems. They are usually the most powerful type of personal computer. They are far more standardized and customizable; most of the components in notebooks, tablets, PDAs, etc. are all proprietary and follow few standards like form factor and expansion.

Oh and comparing PCs with Macs is literally like comparing Apples against Pears. The only difference is the OS and the case design. Their OS can be put on pretty much any white box with enough effort or none (depends on driver support).

Regards,
    Vincent

• User profile image
    raymond

The PC is being reborn or reincarnated as a smart phone and an information/entertainment center.

Cool

• User profile image
    JChung2006

My next desktop computer will be a Mac so I can run both Vista and MacOS (Intel inside).

• User profile image
    alwaysmc2

PaoloM wrote:
    And, according to the latest SEC filing, Apple sold 3% less desktops than last year.

So, maybe they're not buying Macs everywhere...

(note: Apple also sold 42% more laptops year to year )

Yeah, but the computer market is probably growing faster than the growth of Macs.  I'm sure Dell, HP, Sony, and Toshiba are selling more computers year-to-year also.

• User profile image
    ac23

I think theres little benefit of a desktop above a laptop nowadays. You get 90% of the performance & feature requirement a desktop could provide and then some - wireless remote, built-in media card readers, wi-fi internet access, fingerprint readers, the list goes on.

My reasons for sticking with desktops has always been a) being able to upgrade my PC's components without spending and arm and leg, and b) games. While the former will probably never change for laptops, I was able to play Max Payne 2 flawlessly on my girlfriend's laptop that has a meassely intel integrated graphics chip.

All that AND I get to take the thing anywhere I want to. I'd say desktops may soon have to start counting their days.

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.