Coffeehouse Thread

62 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

Saddam is dead - YAY!

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    GaryShort

    Executing Saddam under these circumstances raises a number of issues

    1. He becomes a focus for the insurgents.
    2. There was a failed attempt to assasinate Saddam. He takes revenge on the village by gassing them. He is overthrown. The powers that be take revenge by killing Saddam. That makes us look as bad as him. Watch out for this point being made over and over again on Arab TV.
    3. Due process was not followed here. The trial was badly flawed. What if this trial sets a precendent for justice in Iraq? What happens if an off duty soldier kills an Iraqi civillian in a bar brawl, should he face the same "justice"?

    The execution asks more questions than it answers I'm afraid.

  • User profile image
    harumscarum

    Interesting list of reactions from different countries around the world. If I was a dictator I would definitely want to be tried in EU.

  • User profile image
    TimWoodland

    rjdohnert wrote:
    Saddam Hussein got exactly what he needed to get.  He was an a#$hole, murderer, tyrant.  Did he give the people he brutally executed a fair trial?  Nope, F$%ck him.  The only regret I have is that they wont tell us where he is being buried, if they did I would take a special trip to Iraq, just to piss on his grave.  He better be lucky they didnt give the job to me, I would have made his execution so slow, so brutal, so painful he would have been begging to be hanged in under 2 minutes.  He got a fair trial, the Iraqi people got their pund of flesh but although now they will have to deal with the consequences of that.  My only question is what, nutless wonder, new president will take the troops out of Iraq.


    You have to be kidding me!?!?  Didn't your mother teach you two wrongs don't make a right?  As Ghandi said, "an eye for an eye makes the whole world blind.

  • User profile image
    Yggdrasil

    TimWoodland wrote:
    You have to be kidding me!?!?  Didn't your mother teach you two wrongs don't make a right?  As Ghandi said, "an eye for an eye makes the whole world blind.


    For a suprising percentage of the people around us, murder isn't wrong - it's murder of me and mine that's wrong. Theft, assault - all these aren't intrinsically wrong, they're just something that you hate to happen to you.

    And no, I'm not talking about Iraqis here.

  • User profile image
    Minh

    The cost of removing Saddam Hussein:

    Year US Deaths US Wounded
    2003 486 2408
    2004 848 8001
    2005 846 5947
    2006 818 5676
    Total 2998 22032

    Source http://www.icasualties.org/oif/


    Civilians reported killed by military intervention in Iraq
    Min Max
    52139 57707

    Source: http://www.iraqbodycount.org/


    (Comparison: Katrina caused 659 deaths)


    $378 BILLION by Q1 2007

    Source: http://costofwar.com/numbers.html


    (And a bit of irony)


  • User profile image
    harumscarum

    TimWoodland wrote:
    
    rjdohnert wrote: Saddam Hussein got exactly what he needed to get.  He was an a#$hole, murderer, tyrant.  Did he give the people he brutally executed a fair trial?  Nope, F$%ck him.  The only regret I have is that they wont tell us where he is being buried, if they did I would take a special trip to Iraq, just to piss on his grave.  He better be lucky they didnt give the job to me, I would have made his execution so slow, so brutal, so painful he would have been begging to be hanged in under 2 minutes.  He got a fair trial, the Iraqi people got their pund of flesh but although now they will have to deal with the consequences of that.  My only question is what, nutless wonder, new president will take the troops out of Iraq.


    You have to be kidding me!?!?  Didn't your mother teach you two wrongs don't make a right?  As Ghandi said, "an eye for an eye makes the whole world blind.


    Actually it makes the whole world have monocular vision.

  • User profile image
    W3bbo

    harumscarum wrote:
    
    TimWoodland wrote:
    rjdohnert wrote: Saddam Hussein got exactly what he needed to get.  He was an a#$hole, murderer, tyrant.  Did he give the people he brutally executed a fair trial?  Nope, F$%ck him.  The only regret I have is that they wont tell us where he is being buried, if they did I would take a special trip to Iraq, just to piss on his grave.  He better be lucky they didnt give the job to me, I would have made his execution so slow, so brutal, so painful he would have been begging to be hanged in under 2 minutes.  He got a fair trial, the Iraqi people got their pund of flesh but although now they will have to deal with the consequences of that.  My only question is what, nutless wonder, new president will take the troops out of Iraq.


    You have to be kidding me!?!?  Didn't your mother teach you two wrongs don't make a right?  As Ghandi said, "an eye for an eye makes the whole world blind.


    Actually it makes the whole world have monocular vision.


    Nein, like so:

    1. Guy1 accidentally pokes Guy2's left eye
    2. Guy2 pokes Guy1's left eye in revenge
    3. Guy1 pokes Guy2's right eye in revenge for him taking revenge on him
    4. Guy2 pokes Guy1's right eye in revenge for him taking revenge in taking revenge on himself
    6. Ad infintium

  • User profile image
    TommyCarlier

    W3bbo wrote:
    Nein, like so:
    1. Guy1 accidentally pokes Guy2's left eye
    2. Guy2 pokes Guy1's left eye in revenge
    3. Guy1 pokes Guy2's right eye in revenge for him taking revenge on him
    4. Guy2 pokes Guy1's right eye in revenge for him taking revenge in taking revenge on himself
    6. Ad infintium

    1. Ad infintium should be Ad infinitum.
    2. After point 4, there are no more eyes to poke.
    3. What happened to point 5?

  • User profile image
    W3bbo

    TommyCarlier wrote:
    
    W3bbo wrote:Nein, like so:
    1. Guy1 accidentally pokes Guy2's left eye
    2. Guy2 pokes Guy1's left eye in revenge
    3. Guy1 pokes Guy2's right eye in revenge for him taking revenge on him
    4. Guy2 pokes Guy1's right eye in revenge for him taking revenge in taking revenge on himself
    6. Ad infintium

    1. Ad infintium should be Ad infinitum.


    Typo

    TommyCarlier wrote:
    2. After point 4, there are no more eyes to poke.


    They go on to teeth, presumably, then anything else that hurts when poked.

    TommyCarlier wrote:
    3. What happened to point 5?


    Before I editied the post I had Guy1 poke Guy2's left eye twice.

  • User profile image
    Ion Todirel

    W3bbo is alive YAY!

  • User profile image
    Mackz

    Yes, right ...

    Bush is responsible for the killing of so far over 50000 iraqi civilians
    Hussein was executed because of the killing of 148

    ... quite fair, huh? "YAY!"


    The US has no right changing a foreign country to american values and just braking international laws. Think about it how it would be the other way round. Still ok? ... They still wonder why they are unpopular? *rolleyes* 

    Bush should be convicted as well. Who decides who is good or bad? ... Yes, right, the indefeasible US, I forgot ...

  • User profile image
    Bas

    TommyCarlier wrote:
    
    W3bbo wrote: Nein, like so:
    1. Guy1 accidentally pokes Guy2's left eye
    2. Guy2 pokes Guy1's left eye in revenge
    3. Guy1 pokes Guy2's right eye in revenge for him taking revenge on him
    4. Guy2 pokes Guy1's right eye in revenge for him taking revenge in taking revenge on himself
    6. Ad infintium

    1. Ad infintium should be Ad infinitum.
    2. After point 4, there are no more eyes to poke.
    3. What happened to point 5?


    5. Profit!

  • User profile image
    Bas

    Mackz wrote:
    The US has no right changing a foreign country to american values and just braking international laws. Think about it how it would be the other way round. Still ok? ... They still wonder why they are unpopular? *rolleyes* 
    So, intervening in (I need to watch my language)-occupied Europe was a bad move too?I get what you're saying, but the situation isn't as simple as that.

    Edit: Erm.. I didn't realise that it was not done to say the N-word. The other N word. I mean, those guys in the Indiana Jones movies. *sigh*

  • User profile image
    W3bbo

    Mackz wrote:
    Yes, right ...

    Bush is responsible for the killing of so far over 50000 iraqi civilians
    Hussein was executed because of the killing of 148

    ... quite fair, huh? "YAY!".


    That's not necessarily a valid argument.

    The deaths resulting from the Iraq war are because of collateral damage, the US never deliberately targeted civilians (Well, not officially at least), unlike Saddam who directly ordered the deaths of the civilians.

    Big difference.

  • User profile image
    borosen

    W3bbo wrote:
    The deaths resulting from the Iraq war are because of collateral damage, the US never deliberately targeted civilians (Well, not officially at least), unlike Saddam who directly ordered the deaths of the civilians.

    Big difference.


    Sort of...

    I just can't deside who I would like to kill me and my family.

  • User profile image
    dhogan

    W3bbo wrote:
    
    The deaths resulting from the Iraq war are because of collateral damage, the US never deliberately targeted civilians (Well, not officially at least), unlike Saddam who directly ordered the deaths of the civilians.

    Big difference.


    One of Saddam's greater crimes was the use of chemical weapons against a number of different enemies - in particular against the Kurds. Saddam could have been executed for these crimes, and these cases were still in progress at the time of his execution.

    Strangely, even though Saddam could have been executed for using these chemical weapons, those that supplied him with those weapons have not even been charged. Both the US and the UK quite deliberately sold Saddam the technology for use against his enemies (often civilians).

    Saddam was a very bad guy, but let's not get too black and white here. He was very bad when was the West's friend and very bad after he stopped being our friend. It wasn't his badness that offended us - it was who he was being bad towards. If not for Kuwait he might still be there killing Kurds and entertaining Donald Rumsfeld.

  • User profile image
    UlsterFry

    dhogan wrote:
    
    W3bbo wrote:
    The deaths resulting from the Iraq war are because of collateral damage, the US never deliberately targeted civilians (Well, not officially at least), unlike Saddam who directly ordered the deaths of the civilians.

    Big difference.
    If not for Kuwait he might still be there killing Kurds and entertaining Donald Rumsfeld.


    Well, there are some that think he was provoked into invading Kuwait, so a war would start and the US could setup a permanant base in the middle east.

    I for one think it was wrong to execute him, I'm just glad they didn't make him 'Minister for Education'  hehe Big Smile

  • User profile image
    dahat

    Minh wrote:
    The cost of removing Saddam Hussein:

    Year US Deaths US Wounded
    2003 486 2408
    2004 848 8001
    2005 846 5947
    2006 818 5676
    Total 2998 22032

    Source http://www.icasualties.org/oif/


    Civilians reported killed by military intervention in Iraq
    Min Max
    52139 57707

    Source: http://www.iraqbodycount.org/


    (Comparison: Katrina caused 659 deaths)


    $378 BILLION by Q1 2007

    Source: http://costofwar.com/numbers.html


    Shouldn't we really try to put those numbers in prospective?

    Casualties in WW2:
    Soviet Union 25,568,000
    China 11,324,000
    Germany 7,060,000
    Poland 6,850,000
    Japan 1,806,000
    Yugoslavia 1,700,000
    Rumania 985,000
    France 810,000
    Greece 520,000
    USA 495,000
    Austria 480,000
    Italy 410,000
    Great Britain 388,000
    Holland 250,000
    Belgium 85,000
    Finland 79,000
    Canada 42,000
    India 36,000
    Australia 29,000
    Albania 28,000
    Spain 22,000
    Bulgaria 21,000
    New Zealand 12,000
    Norway 10,000
    South Africa 9,000
    Luxembourg 5,000
    Denmark 4,000
    TOTAL 59,028,000
       

    Financial Cost:

                                                        Cost in    $ Billions  Per Capita 
                                                        Current       1990s   (in $1990) 
    World War II (1941-1945)            288.00     2,091.3   15,655.17


    Oh right! I forgot that only numbers that make Bush look bad are valid. my bad.

    Also if you are wanting to count Iraqi civilian deaths... how many from your numbers are as a direct result of Muslim on Muslim violence?

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.