Coffeehouse Thread

5 posts

Some good news

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    Frank​Palinkas

Hi Niners,

Would just like to share some good fortune with you...

Microsoft has awarded me the M.V.P. for Windows Help.

Frank Big Smile

• User profile image
    UlsterFry

Excellent,
    Nice one...

• User profile image
    littleguru

Kewl. Would like to be one too Smiley

• User profile image
    Angus

Congratulations! It would be nice to be an MVP, what does it entail?

Angus Higgins

• User profile image
    Frank​Palinkas

Thanks to all for the congrats, it's appreciated.

I can only speak of what I do. I seriously don't have a clue as to how Microsoft makes these decisions, and the opinions below are strictly mine.

Online participation:
    I am an active contributing member to about five lists concentrating on Windows Help systems and documentation. I really enjoy the MSDN Developer Documentation and Help Forum, the Yahoo! Help Authoring Tools and Techniques (HATT) list and the Yahoo! MSHelp2 list. Advice: Pick several active lists in your specialty and start helping those who ask for guidance and problem solving. Do it every day. If you don't know an answer, there's no problem. Someone else may, and sort it out. Try to be as accurate as possible with your answers. If you can lay it out flat - do so. If you can't, but have a really good clue to what's needed, revert the poster to resources which will help them out.

Publishing online:
    Create a blog or website, or ask for a page on a friend's site, so that you can start publishing articles which you think are instructive and important in your specialty. It doesn't matter if someone else has already published on a similar or the same topic. You are unique, and your ideas really do matter to many people.

Speaking engagements:
    Using your online publications as a base of knowledge, offer yourself as a speaker/presenter to different associations/clubs/groups/schools/universities catering to your specialty. You'll be surprised at how many will say cool, come over and speak to us. Don't worry about getting paid to do it. Just do it.

I think it all comes down to a constant and genuine willingness to help others with Microsoft technologies.  Hope that offers some ideas?

Frank

Comments closed

Comments have been closed since this content was published more than 30 days ago, but if you'd like to continue the conversation, please create a new thread in our Forums, or Contact Us and let us know.