Coffeehouse Thread

10 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

Get your terror alerts via email

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    blowdart

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/6242883.stm

E-mail terror alerts will be sent out to the public under a new system launched by security chiefs at MI5.

From Tuesday, people will be able to register on the MI5 website to receive updates when the threat level changes.

The initiative follows considerable interest in similar information for the public introduced in August on the MI5 and Home Office websites.

• User profile image
    webmonkey

LOL!

I'm going to wait till I can get them by text message before I sign up!

:O

• User profile image
    W3bbo

blowdart wrote:
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/6242883.stm

E-mail terror alerts will be sent out to the public under a new system launched by security chiefs at MI5.

I thought they already did this, what with the anti-virus companies doing it ever since like...ever.

My £5 bet: They move on to an RSS feed next.

• User profile image
    Kevin Daly

Does that originate from the same group of skilled intelligence professionals who assured their bosses on 06/07/2005 that there was currently no terror threat, or from the people who are keeping the world safe from Brazilian electricians?

It really does need to be an RSS feed, that way you can apply the appropriate transform to get the colour coding, which is much more effective for letting everyone know how frightened they're supposed to be.

• User profile image
    UlsterFry

W3bbo wrote:

My £5 bet: They move on to an RSS feed next.

My £5 is on ad banners at the bottom of the email..  I can just see it now:

Threat Level:  High

This terror alert message service is proudly brought to you by the Acme Inc Family Nuke-No-More Shelter, protecting your nuclear family from the twisted cat-stroking evil doers nuclear ways since 1953.

• User profile image
    W3bbo

UlsterFry wrote:
    My £5 is on ad banners at the bottom of the email..  I can just see it now:

This terror alert message service is proudly brought to you by the Acme Inc Family Nuke-No-More Shelter, protecting your nuclear family from the twisted cat-stroking evil doers nuclear ways since 1953.

I was thinking more along the lines of "Buy Depends brand adult diapers" or something.

• User profile image
    Massif

I so don't want to know. We're already at the second highest threat level.

What's the betting they'll get much more active about pushing high threat level alerts when it comes to funding being reviewed?

• User profile image
    Dr Herbie

W3bbo wrote:

UlsterFry wrote: My £5 is on ad banners at the bottom of the email..  I can just see it now:

I was thinking more along the lines of "Buy Depends brand adult diapers" or something.

Or Kalms.

Herbie

• User profile image
    ben2004uk

I had created a MSN bot which displayed the internet security warnings and virus alerts and had the internet status (based on SANS) as its MSN name, maybe they should do that with MSN Alerts integrating it into Live. Or a Vista gadget.... Email is so retro Wink It was a cool bot, just had no where to host it Sad needed some kind of home server Wink

• User profile image
    Tensor

TerrorBot! Make It So!

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.