Coffeehouse Thread

117 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

The iphone has come out... what is microsoft going to do?

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    cescotto

Today Apple announced the iPhone and like some people here probably have already seen it looks and sounds like the coolest phone on earth. Nobody will care of its defects (for example the touch screen that makes typing text a lot slower than T9, when you call it gets all dirty because the touch screen makes contact with your face skin when you call, probably it will scratch like hell, etc) people will still buy it because it looks like the coolest smartphone on earth, because it "runs OS X", because it's cool and has a sleek interface and because it's made by Apple.

Jobs knows perfectly how to market their products and even if there have been phones with similar features before (nokia 7710 for example, with a very high-res touchscreen, browser, mp3 player etc) this iphone announcement has been covered like I have never seen before.

So, what's Microsoft going to do this time? Is it simply going to watch while Apple may slowly take over the smartphones market like they did with the mp3 players market or is finally going to decide itself to go to the offensive by teaming with other phone makers to release phones with better windows integration and make a much more user-friendly version of windows mobile?

I really doubt that this time releasing a "Zune Phone" would be able, alone, to prevent Apple from eating up most of the musicphones/smartphones market.

Piece after piece Apple is slowly going to take over every segment of the digital market and at the end, if MS won't get a move, they'll start eating up the desktop market too.

• User profile image
    Harlequin

cescotto wrote:
    Piece after piece Apple is slowly going to take over every segment of the digital market and at the end, if MS won't get a move, they'll start eating up the desktop market too.

How does the iPhone translate to higher iMac sales?

• User profile image
    ddewbofh

I'm guessing they'll keep on working with hardware manufacturers and keep on pushing out Windows Mobile devices. You know the os that does what the iphone does. Wink

• User profile image
    kettch

Microsoft's problem seems to be that they are too nice to hardware manufacturers. They provide them with guidance, and software to run on the devices, but it is up to the hardware companies to actually do something. Hardware companies are in turn mostly controlled by the carriers, who ultimately decide which features are turned on and how they can be used. It'll be interesting to find out if the iPhone ends up crippled by the time it reaches the consumer.

This makes me wonder about applications. They say that there won't be any "crippled" applications. I'm not sure what they mean by that. Unless you want your application to run like crap, you have to optimize it for a mobile platform. There are just certain things you can't do inside that relatively small resource space.

The reason I think that Cingular likes the iPhone so much is that it's strong emphasis on messaging/video/pictures/media translates directly into large amounts of data going over their network. This is data that they can charge for...a lot. It's going to be expensive to buy one of these phones, but to feed the media addiction that they are going to cause, is going to cost even more.

Another thing about the smartphones on the Windows Mobile platform is that they really have never been aimed at the consumer market. They are used mostly for PIM, and maybe a little media.

What Microsoft is going to do about all of this? Who knows. What they should do is lean on hardware manufacturers and carriers to push through the upcoming Windows Mobile release faster than it took for 2005. How long did it take from the time of release to when we saw it in devices? Entirely too long.

• User profile image
    Jack Poison

My Conspiracy Theory -

Microsoft secretly wants more Mac users. This will likely be mostly end consumers (read - non-businesses), and will allow Microsoft to focus on business. And with the increase in Apple marketshare, Microsoft can legitimately state that they are no longer a Monopoly within the United States, allowing the DOJ to get off their backs.

• User profile image
    cescotto

Harlequin wrote:

cescotto wrote: Piece after piece Apple is slowly going to take over every segment of the digital market and at the end, if MS won't get a move, they'll start eating up the desktop market too.

How does the iPhone translate to higher iMac sales?

The iphone doesn't magically translate in higher mac sales however the more pieces of the market Apple will take control of the higher is the possibility of them using the devices they produce to increase mac sales, for example by releasing mac-only features. Also the more the world of apple solutions will expand the more the consumers will be interested in buying them.

• User profile image
    jamie

on one of the many iphone - phone calls i got today - i said "well they sure are making it hard to stay on windows..wga,validation,too many versions, crippled zune, defective by design vista...

and was told "paralels is amazing - you just keep windows as an app - and run corel or frontpage from in there"

i hate to admit it but its getting alot more tempting after seeing this phone.. plus i want garage band (still waiting on ms version of this for years)

maybe ill get a mac mini and an iphone ...someday

true they are run by a prima dona control freak artisian hippy

but thats starting to look alot better than a loud, obnoxious, uncreative, customer milking, nickel diming, uninspiring moron

• User profile image
    stevo_

We just got 2 new intel iMacs in the office, quite nice. But somewhat unstable and some bad design with the remotes, the remote can work any imac with the remote enabled (by default it is).

2-3 times now opening the 'media center' and waiting for it to finish something, like streaming media of the web. Has caused the machine to literally freeze for 5 minutes. Installing applications cripples the system in the same fashion, this happens on both brand new iMacs. OS X is nice and all that, but its a pretty shallow attraction.

One of the guys also managed to delete his entire user profile by renaming the folder on the left hand side of the finder window.

This isnt anything new to us though, all the macs in the office cause us soo many problems I just don't understand how people can say their reliable. They almost randomly pick new things to break- like the mac mini we have that will randomly stop its keyboard shortcuts working.

• User profile image
    PaoloM

stevo_ wrote:
    We just got 2 new intel iMacs in the office, quite nice. But somewhat unstable and some bad design with the remotes, the remote can work any imac with the remote enabled (by default it is).

2-3 times now opening the 'media center' and waiting for it to finish something, like streaming media of the web. Has caused the machine to literally freeze for 5 minutes. Installing applications cripples the system in the same fashion, this happens on both brand new iMacs. OS X is nice and all that, but its a pretty shallow attraction.

One of the guys also managed to delete his entire user profile by renaming the folder on the left hand side of the finder window.

This isnt anything new to us though, all the macs in the office cause us soo many problems I just don't understand how people can say their reliable. They almost randomly pick new things to break- like the mac mini we have that will randomly stop its keyboard shortcuts working.

You are obviously fabricating all this. Everybody knows that we are the only ones capable of completely screwing up your machine by just moving the mouse cursor.

[6]

• User profile image
    cescotto

kettch wrote:
    What Microsoft is going to do about all of this? Who knows. What they should do is lean on hardware manufacturers and carriers to push through the upcoming Windows Mobile release faster than it took for 2005. How long did it take from the time of release to when we saw it in devices? Entirely too long.

The problem is that, like you said, the actual windows mobile is not made for the consumer market and it will never compete with the iphone.

I think that MS should move as much as they can to get the phone manifacturers to use integrated windows solutions (and getting those phones advertized for those features). Who wouldn't want here an integrated microsoft solution that lets you connect any compatible phone to your windows PC and lets you sync music, contacts, messages, videos, etc (not only windows-mobile phones but also phones running other OSes)?

I also think that they should release a consumer-oriented version (better graphics, easier to use and especially less power consuming) of windows mobile to have windows mobile devices compete in the consumer (and iphone's) market.

The real battle however is not directly between microsoft and apple but it's instead between apple and phone producers and what phone producers actually lack is a good integration with PCs.

Now that the phone producers are probably be scared by Apple entering the phone markets probably they will be more willing to cooperate with Microsoft to get a better integration between phones and windows.

• User profile image
    DuNuNuBatman

It does look cool. I heard the price tag for the 8GB version was $600 and that's with a 2 year contract... that's just way too much for a phone/mp3 player.

• User profile image
    ronin1855

The part about it crashing & stability might be true issues, but I don't see how a user screwing up his profiles has anything to do with it. At best its Chair Keyboard Interface problem.

• User profile image
    Nitz Walsh

stevo_ wrote:

That machine doesn't happen to use Entourage as an email client, does it?

• User profile image
    idividebyze​ro

Not many people will buy it because of the outrageous price tag (imagine how much this thing is going to cost unlocked, over 1000 bucks?). People thought the PS3 costed too much, and this is for a PHONE.

Ya the interface is at the top of its class and is probably going to be everyones dream phone, but its just too expensive. I dont think they have a chance at all to take over the music phone market. Maybe the high end PDA phone market, excluding the Blackberry's which seem to have their own niche and exclusive features.

• User profile image
    cescotto

idividebyzero wrote:

Not many people will buy it because of the outrageous price tag (imagine how much this thing is going to cost unlocked, over 1000 bucks?). People thought the PS3 costed too much, and this is for a PHONE.

Ya the interface is at the top of its class and is probably going to be everyones dream phone, but its just too expensive. I dont think they have a chance at all to take over the music phone market. Maybe the high end PDA phone market, excluding the Blackberry's which seem to have their own niche and exclusive features.

Yes, it's going to be expensive however its price is going to drop like any other high-end phone and when it will be affordable (300-400$) I think a lot of people would prefer buying an iphone over a ipod.

• User profile image
    Custa1200

idividebyzero wrote:

Yeah it'll never sell, they said the same thing about the iPod... hmm what happened to that prediction.

This thing has the most gorgeous UI of any product out there. Lets hope that Leopard is a cat down the same alley.

• User profile image
    eddwo

I'm just about half way throught the keynote.

They really weren't kidding when they said they were 5 years ahead of other smartphones, that stuff is just amazing.

They have honestly got the sort of UI that has long been the promise of WPF on a portable device 1.1cm thick!

I just can't believe they can Core Animation/OpenGL accelerated graphics and get that sort of performance without the phone being too hot to handle and the battery running out in < 30 minutes.
    Anyone else ever held an OQO after its been running full pelt?

I bet there are a lot of Windows Mobile and Symbian developers who are feeling pretty sick about now, theres a hell of a long way for both to go to catch up with this stuff.

Yes its too expensive, out of reach of a vast number of people, but just as a demonstration of what is possible with 2.5 years of focused effort it stands as an amazing achievement.

The iPod features alone would edge out the Zune, but to put all of that together in one device is pretty staggering.

I've just got the chance to play with a Jasjar up close, and I was kinda looking forward to the upcoming Nokia N95, but frankly its probably worth waiting out a few generations for the others to catch up or the iPhone to come down in price sufficiently.

How much memory does the iPhone to be able to just skip from iPod, to Safari, to photo library etc so smoothly? Trying to run even one app of that complexity at a time would bring most current smartphones to their knees.

• User profile image
    alwaysmc2

I think this is cool, but...
    I use Verizon.

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.