Coffeehouse Thread

23 posts

YouTube and Vista?

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    littleguru

Hi. I got the following problem:

After installing Vista RTM (yes, finally - hurray!) I'm unable to watch videos on YouTube. YouTube tells me that I need to install the latest Flash Player. Clicking the link (which redirects me to the Macromedia install page) I get the notification that the latest Flash player is already installed.

When I'm going back to the YouTube page afterwards (I did even restart IE), I'm still getting the same message...

Anybody else having the same problem?

• User profile image
    PerfectPhase

Works fine for me (Vista Enterprise)

• User profile image
    littleguru

PerfectPhase wrote:
    Works fine for me (Vista Enterprise)

Weird. I have Vista Business and I'm getting this here:

Hello, you either have JavaScript turned off or an old version of Macromedia's Flash Player. Get the latest flash player.

I have checked the running addons (for IE) and flash is enabled.

• User profile image
    Massif

What about Javascript? Big Smile

Curious, can you uninstall and reinstall flash? I've never tried such a thing.

• User profile image
    Sven Groot

It works here too (Vista Ultimate).

• User profile image
    littleguru

Massif wrote:
    What about Javascript?

Curious, can you uninstall and reinstall flash? I've never tried such a thing.

I have not changed anything in IE7. But applied all the patches that are available through Windows Update. This is weird.

I'm sure it is flash. Because flash isn't displaying also on other pages and I have used javascript on my own homepage and that works... Hmmm.

• User profile image
    joem83

Go to C:\windows\system32\Macromed\Flash, and run FlashUtil9b.exe

Fllash for Vista is still in beta

littleguru wrote:
    Hi. I got the following problem:

After installing Vista RTM (yes, finally - hurray!) I'm unable to watch videos on YouTube. YouTube tells me that I need to install the latest Flash Player. Clicking the link (which redirects me to the Macromedia install page) I get the notification that the latest Flash player is already installed.

When I'm going back to the YouTube page afterwards (I did even restart IE), I'm still getting the same message...

Anybody else having the same problem?

• User profile image
    littleguru

joem83 wrote:

Hey, thank you. Where did you get that from?

• User profile image
    Jason Cox

Also check to make sure you're running IE x86 and not IE x64, trying to view any website that uses in Flash in IE x64 results in either a prompt to install Flash or in the case of Vanishing Point, a blank page.

• User profile image
    littleguru

Jason Cox wrote:
    Also check to make sure you're running IE x86 and not IE x64, trying to view any website that uses in Flash in IE x64 results in either a prompt to install Flash or in the case of Vanishing Point, a blank page.

Running the .exe in the System32\Macromed\Flash directory solved my problem Smiley

• User profile image
    bart7simpso​n7

The problem is with IE 7&flash player.One of my roommates just installed windows XP SP2 and all the updates, also IE7. He had exactly the same problem with flash player. In firefox works perfectly fine but in IE7 he has exactly the problem you had. Tomorrow I will tell him to try the same stuff to see if it works.

• User profile image
    joem83

I had this same problem,  since you know us beta testers.  We Love to find bugs and then find solutions Smiley  All to make the Windows World a better place.

littleguru wrote:

joem83 wrote: Go to C:\windows\system32\Macromed\Flash, and run FlashUtil9b.exe

Hey, thank you. Where did you get that from?

• User profile image
    jamierytlew​ski

This information should be better known.  I've been so mad with Vista lately as I wanted to give IE7 a chance, but mostly used Firefox.  What is strange is that IE7 would work if there were no scripts to detect flash.

Is there any tricks for Quicktime? I'm having problems with Quicktime detection scripts.

• User profile image
    THE GONK

I HAVE BEEN HAVING THIS PROB WITH VISTA PREMIUM HOME FOR 2 WEEKS!
    THANKS JOEM83, I KINDA WANNA BUY YOU A BEER!
    THANKS AGAIN! Smiley:)Smiley:)

• User profile image
    shiftyjake

I'm having a slightly different problem with youtube and vista.  When I watch something on youtube, only about a minute (two at the most) of a five or ten minute video will load.  When I reset the little bar at the bottom (move the round thing over a little), it starts loading again, but it still will load just a minute or less of video before just stopping.

It's not that youtube is too busy.  I look at my "wireless network connection status" it shows no information being recieved by the computer once it stops downloading the video.  If it was loading slowly, that wouldn't be so bad, but it just stops completely.  It happens with every video I look at that's over a minute long.

What's going on here, and what can I do to fix it? 

I use Firefox, by the way, not Explorer.

• User profile image
    YearOfThe​LinuxDesktop

try updating flash and emptying the browser cache and cookies

• User profile image
    dentaku

joem83 wrote:

Flash for Vista is still in beta

WOW, Flash hasn't worked for me for months and the only way I could get it working again was to use a special un-installer and re-install it, which would be fine until I restarted and it didn't work anymore.

YouTube and most Flash video sites worked but non-video flash almost never did.

I just tried FlashUtil9b.exe and I tested a site based on Simpleviewer and it worked. I hope it keeps working.

• User profile image
    evildictait​or

dentaku wrote:

joem83 wrote:

Flash for Vista is still in beta

WOW, Flash hasn't worked for me for months and the only way I could get it working again was to use a special un-installer and re-install it, which would be fine until I restarted and it didn't work anymore.

YouTube and most Flash video sites worked but non-video flash almost never did.

I just tried FlashUtil9b.exe and I tested a site based on Simpleviewer and it worked. I hope it keeps working.

You are replying to a post on Jan 17 2007. Flash in no longer in beta on Vista.

Comments closed

Comments have been closed since this content was published more than 30 days ago, but if you'd like to continue the conversation, please create a new thread in our Forums, or Contact Us and let us know.