Coffeehouse Thread

33 posts

How many Microsofties are still around here?

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • littleguru

I'm asking that because I'm seeing always the same and I wonder if there are others around here, who are only reading the posts, but not replying...

Is this forum even noticed inside Microsoft anymore?

• Massif

Sshh... Most of them are asleep. Don't want to disturb them.

• Chadk

Well, Bruce and all the other IE guys are likely busy with doing post-rtm builds of IE7, to fix bugs, holes its. And likely planning features for IE8!

But we are lucky enough that Robert Hess now joined in on C9, with his very cool roundtable technology. So seems like we are getting more and more softie niners! Big Smile

• Sven Groot

I'm still waiting for you to become a softie, littleguru. Smiley

• Frank​Palinkas

I'll second that. Then you won't have to wait to become a MVP. Big Smile

• Harlequin

Chadk wrote:
    Well, Bruce and all the other IE guys are likely busy with doing post-rtm builds of IE7, to fix bugs, holes its. And likely planning features for IE8!

I'm busy and I can still pop in here and take a peek and make some posts once in a while. I think Channel 9 topped out at the time of the Bill Hill interviews, had lots of chatter from him and other Microsofties too then. Then they all disapeared one by one when 2006 came.

• Cornelius Ellsonpeter

Larry O. pops in here once in a while. JonathanH hasn't been seen in ages (I think he stopped showing up right around the time B***28 was banned).

The problem continues to be the resident trolls.

I think there are a lot of lurkers here, but they refuse to engage in a firefight with the trolls. Remember this thread? Mark Jewitt (an MS employee) came in asking for suggestions on how to better run a contest. The trolls took it upon themselves to practically start a four-alarm fire over it and I doubt Mark will ever come back now.  

Channel 9 needs to be taken back with thought-provoking posts, new strategies for disarming trolls, and, as always, more Rory.

• Harlequin

Cornelius Ellsonpeter wrote:
    ...new strategies for disarming trolls...

Channel 9 guys have said time and time again they won't do this. They pretty much wait until there is a death threat from a troll before they get banned.

• Massif

New strategies for disarming trolls:

1 - "I agree completely."
    2 - "I'm Linus Torvalds, and you're a jerk." (note: only works if you actually are Linus Torvalds.)
    3 - "I can't read your posts properly on my iPhone, please use shorter words."
    4 - Complete and utter silence.

• Cornelius Ellsonpeter

Harlequin wrote:

Cornelius Ellsonpeter wrote: ...new strategies for disarming trolls...

Channel 9 guys have said time and time again they won't do this. They pretty much wait until there is a death threat from a troll before they get banned.
    Sad

Then the trolls have already won.

I wonder if HR or legal coached the 9 staff about how to handle trolls or something...

Perplexed

• j0217995

I wonder how many people are just waiting for C9 v Next? Any update on that? The other question is has the content quality gone done lately? I respond/read less and less these days, but everything is usually cylical

• Cornelius Ellsonpeter

Unfortunately, Jeff was talking about an update well over six months ago. Somehow, I don't think it will come to pass in the next six months, as they are focusing more energy on 10.net.

[C]

• j0217995

Does on10.net have more viewership then C9? I keep on visting and tryin to get into the community that must be there and just can't....

• Ion Todirel

j0217995 wrote:
    I keep on visting and tryin to get into the community that must be there and just can't....
    me too, on10 is not c9, c9 is unique!

• Zeo

I was a long time niner before I became a Softie. So niner's rule in my book! 

I check the coffeehouse multiple times each day. I even check the coffeehouse from my smartphone while driving (crazy I know).

I end up private messaging with many niners, and I've forwarded several niner's feedback and discussions here in the coffeehouse onto internal Microsoft DLs and your discussions have caused hot debates.

I plan to stay involved in Channel 9 for the foreesable future. Big Smile Oh an yes I do check on10 every other day, cool stuff happens over there too.

Many of us softies work long hours and I wish I could post more, but trust me, we are watching and if you want to hear from me just PM me and I'll get back to you ASAP.

• Cornelius Ellsonpeter

Zeo wrote:
    I end up private messaging with many niners, and I've forwarded several niner's feedback and discussions here in the coffeehouse onto internal Microsoft DLs and your discussions have caused hot debates. 
    Details! Details!

• kriskdf

I'm here.  I don't post a lot, but I've read a lot.  You guys don't post a lot about stuff I'm very familiar with.  I can't comment much about IE or Vista or Visual Studio because I'm only a user who also has a lot of work to do.  If there are discussions about search (local specifically) that I can add to, I'd be fine throwing in my 2 cents.

• Jack Cade

Zeo wrote:
    II even check the coffeehouse from my smartphone while driving (crazy I know).

Crazy, stupid and totally irresponsible.

Please stop doing this. Endanger your own life as often as you like, but don't endanger the lives of those who choose to drive on the same roads that you do.

Maybe a bumper sticker "Please keep your distance, I am busy on the Internet and am paying little/no attention to traffic even though I am doing >50MPH in 1.5 tonnes of metal"

Comments closed

Comments have been closed since this content was published more than 30 days ago, but if you'd like to continue the conversation, please create a new thread in our Forums, or Contact Us and let us know.