Coffeehouse Thread

9 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

BeOS in Vista or BeOS PE

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    dentaku

I remember an old version of BeOS that was just a big disk image that would go in the root of your C: drive and you can boot into by restarting.

Do anyone know if this is still available? I can't find it anymore.

It would be good to be able to run the free Virtual PC 2004 in Vista and just install BeOS PE but I'm assuming VPC 2004 doesn't work in Vista and don't really want to be trying our VPC 2007 yet.

• User profile image
    arunpv

BeOS is still alive
    check this

by the way, VPC 2007 is much better than VPC2004. right now its released as RC. try it at connect.microsoft.com

Big Smile

• User profile image
    cescotto

dentaku wrote:
    I remember an old version of BeOS that was just a big disk image that would go in the root of your C: drive and you can boot into by restarting.

Do anyone know if this is still available? I can't find it anymore.

It would be good to be able to run the free Virtual PC 2004 in Vista and just install BeOS PE but I'm assuming VPC 2004 doesn't work in Vista and don't really want to be trying our VPC 2007 yet.

You can't use BeOS PE anymore because it doesn't support NTFS. You have to get an iso called BeOS max or something like that.

• User profile image
    dentaku

arunpv wrote:
    BeOS is still alive
    check this

by the way, VPC 2007 is much better than VPC2004. right now its released as RC. try it at connect.microsoft.com

]

Ya, I noticed it was on connect then I saw the signup page and left. Big Smile
    Maybe I should just sign up and get it anyway. It's fun to be able to mess with stuff without any danger of destroying partitions and such.

• User profile image
    dentaku

arunpv wrote:
    BeOS is still alive
    check this

Well, VPC 2007 seems to work. I can't get the newest ubuntu Live DVD to work right with it but (It's just a mess of multi coloured pixels in a weird resolution) so I'm going to download BeOS sometime and try that.

• User profile image
    Cannot​Resolve​Symbol

dentaku wrote:

arunpv wrote: BeOS is still alive
    check this

Well, VPC 2007 seems to work. I can't get the newest ubuntu Live DVD to work right with it but (It's just a mess of multi coloured pixels in a weird resolution) so I'm going to download BeOS sometime and try that.

They still haven't fixed that?

It has to do with 24-bit color not being supported on the emulated S3 even though it should be on a real S3, so Ubuntu tries to use 24-bit color and bad things happen.

OpenSuSE works fine on it, though.

• User profile image
    AndyC

CannotResolveSymbol wrote:

It has to do with 24-bit color not being supported on the emulated S3 even though it should be on a real S3, so Ubuntu tries to use 24-bit color and bad things happen.

It's the fault of Ubuntu. Rather than query the video card (as you are supposed to) the installer just looks up the card in a big text file and decides what it supports based on that.

Installers that do it properly (such as Suse) have no problems.

• User profile image
    Cannot​Resolve​Symbol

AndyC wrote:

It's the fault of Ubuntu. Rather than query the video card (as you are supposed to) the installer just looks up the card in a big text file and decides what it supports based on that.

Even though the installer's not handling it properly, Virtual PC is still responsible for providing compatibility with the hardware they intend to emulate.  That's the whole point--  if it runs on the real hardware I'm emulating, I want it to run unmodified in Virtual PC.

I'm going to go see if this is bugged in Connect...  it should be, I know Microsoft knows about it.

• User profile image
    dentaku

Glad to see I'm not the only one.

I installed VPC 2007 to run BeOS anyway. I've messed with Linux enough so there's nothing terribly exciting about it for me anymore. I just had the Ubuntu CD available so I tried it out.

I'm going to go download BeOS right now.

AndyC wrote: 

Even though the installer's not handling it properly, Virtual PC is still responsible for providing compatibility with the hardware they intend to emulate.  That's the whole point--  if it runs on the real hardware I'm emulating, I want it to run unmodified in Virtual PC.

I'm going to go see if this is bugged in Connect...  it should be, I know Microsoft knows about it.

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.