Coffeehouse Thread

15 posts

what books you've read?

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • Ion Todirel

in you life, technology/programming related only, please tell me, this is a good chance to see what others interests are and what else to read

• tomkirbygre​en

For whst it's worth here's my reading list of late:

http://edge-loop.spaces.live.com/Lists/cns!8F028CC27525BEA1!1006/

I tend to read programming books in two passes. The first pass is just a traditional sequential read - away from the keyboard. On the second pass I work through it with my trusty csc.exe to hand. This works for me since I spend about 80 minutes a day traveling to and from work.

• TommyCarlier

I just finished reading Charles Petzold's "Applications = Code + Markup", and started reading "iWoz". I also ordered "Designing Interactions", and expect to receive it in a few days. Previous books I read were Feng Yuan's classic "Windows Graphics Programming" (personally signed by Feng!) and "Programming Windows Presentation Foundation" by Chris Sells and Ian Griffiths. Non-technical books I read lately were "Imagining the Tenth Dimension", and Scott Adams' "God's Debris" and "The Religion War".

• Dr Herbie

Just started 'Data Binding with Windows Forms 2.0' by Brian Noyes published by Addison Wesley.

I kind of got the feeling that there's a lot more to data binding that I realised; and that was before I saw the thickness of the book (485 pages plus about another 200 in appendices).

Hopefully this will make my working life a little easier Smiley

Herbie

• jsampsonPC

I just finished "Beginning C#", and have recently purchased a much larger book, "Professional C# 2005". I thought about buying "iWoz" when I saw it at B&N the other day...is it worth it?

Other recent books I've been reading are "The Zen of CSS Design", "The Object-Oriented Though Process", "ASP.NET 2.0 Unleashed", and a few VB.NET books (not reading those so much anymore).

• littleguru

I read quite a bunch of books, but I can't remember all... Some are:

- Inside C#
    - Kickstart MDX
    - Design Patterns C#
    - Coding Guidelines and Patterns for .NET
    - tons of books for university
    - other .NET books

It's very hard for me to remember the titles, because I'm only reading them once and forgetting them very fast Tongue Out

I like books that are coming to the point very fast. I hate it when a book is a lot of bla bla bla and the autor gets never to the point. Reading a book should be challanging and not boring.

At the moment I'm reading a few books about statistics (have an exam in a week). They cover stuff like ANOVA, regression, different types of statistical allocations, tests, hypotesis, etc.

• die-Sel

dot_tom wrote:
    For whst it's worth here's my reading list of late:

http://edge-loop.spaces.live.com/Lists/cns!8F028CC27525BEA1!1006/

I tend to read programming books in two passes. The first pass is just a traditional sequential read - away from the keyboard. On the second pass I work through it with my trusty csc.exe to hand. This works for me since I spend about 80 minutes a day traveling to and from work.

Whats WPF Unleased like?

am very very impressed by the power of WFP

• W3bbo

Ion Todirel wrote:

in you life, technology/programming related only, please tell me, this is a good chance to see what others interests are and what else to read

I don't really read programming/technology books, if there's anything I need to know there's Usenet and the brains of Microsoft (and a few other smart individuals, like Sven Groot) on my Messenger contact list.

But if there was a deadline and I needed to get myself prepped in something quickly I'd buy whatever's got a 5* rating on Amazon and doesn't include the word "beginning" in the title (since they tend to be a little condescending and cover stuff I already know, hence why I don't touch the "for Dummies" books anymore)

But on my bookshelf I've got DOS for Dummies and Flash 5 for Dummies from years long gone (1999 and 2001 respectivly), a book on Windows CE.NET (won at the VS2005 Launch Event, ironic because CE5 was being introduced at the time), and Intel's x86 guides (because they were going for free)

• nightski

Just bought WPF Unleashed and am really enjoying it so far.  Everything is in full color (even source code) so its very enjoyable to read.  I had both that book & Applications = Code + Markup in my hand and ultimately chose unleashed.  They both look excellent, but I chose unleashed because the sample chapter online was very fun to read.

• TommyCarlier

jsampsonPC, I don't really know yet if iWoz is worth it, I've just started reading yesterday. I'll let you know when I'm done. Maybe you should ask Jamie. I got the idea of buying it after Jamie posted some scanned pages of it in this thread: http://channel9.msdn.com/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=269316#269316

• Ramanjit

When books will support control+F i will be first to try it [6]

• TommyCarlier

Ramanjit, it's called an "index". You usually find it at the end of the book, and the words have these funny looking numbers next to them called "page numbers". Instead of clicking these hyperlinks, you have to browse back into the book, looking at the top right, or bottom right, to find the page with the right number. Luckily, these page numbers are in the right order, which makes it easier to find the right page, using a binary search algorithm.

• Ion Todirel

now this is a cool book: Inside MSIL Assembler Tongue Out i have it, i have it hehe

• Lee_Dale

Just finished reading Ricky Hatton - My Story and now reading Extreme Programming Adventures with C# by Ron Jefferies.

• PerfectPhase

I'm reading Software Engineering with Microsoft Visual Studio Team System at the moment.  I'm trying to read more 'why' than 'how' books at the moment.

Comments closed

Comments have been closed since this content was published more than 30 days ago, but if you'd like to continue the conversation, please create a new thread in our Forums, or Contact Us and let us know.