Coffeehouse Thread

21 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

I'm going to Japan!!!

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    Sven Groot

As some of you may know last July I have requested the Monbukagakusho (MEXT) scholarship to go to Japan for two years, to do research at Kitsuregawa Lab at Tokyo University. As I wrote earlier, I had already passed the preliminary selection in August last year, and had been accepted into Tokyo University shortly after. The only thing I was still waiting for was the final approval from the Japanese government that I would get the scholarship.

That approval has not yet officially arrived, however a recent e-mail from Tokyo University implied that they believed I had been accepted, which prompted me to call the Japanese Embassy, who called MEXT in Japan, and told me that it was true: I've got the scholarship! Big Smile

The paperwork isn't done yet, which is why neither me nor the Embassy had been informed yet, but it is official. Next April I will fly to Tokyo, Japan, where I will stay for two years. I can hardly believe that it is really happening, but it is!

You will believe I'm more than a little elated about this! Finally I have certainty after months of waiting!

Because the paperwork isn't finished, I don't have all the details yet. For instance, although I know I'll be leaving in the first week of April, I don't yet know the date or other flight details. I also don't know precisely where in Tokyo I will live, although it's likely I will end up in an international house (special housing for international students), one of which is on the same campus as Kitsuregawa Lab, so that would be very convenient.

Of course, my blog is the place where I will keep all those who are interested up to date on all this. In fact, the possibility that I would be going to Japan was one of the main reasons why I started a blog in the first place.

Now however comes the really hard part. I have to focus on my work for the remainder on the day while what I really want to do is stand on the roof and shout it: I'm going to Japan!

• User profile image
    Raghavendra_​Mudugal

Congratulations! Sven Groot, Its really great to feel and read on your progress. Smiley

• User profile image
    LaBomba

Good luck in your pursuit of happyness happiness! Smiley

• User profile image
    blowdart

Very very cool.

How are your language skills? Smiley

• User profile image
    Secret​Software

what kind of research will you be doing in Japan ?

Congratulations.

• User profile image
    Sabot

This is fantastic news! Well done!

Woow, think of all the challenges? A new city, country, language and culture, this is just so exciting !!! I would really love it if it was me.

I enjoy a short trip to Japan about 10 years ago.

Japan is a brilliant country, living in London didn't prepare me for just how many people there were in Tokyo.

The language I found really, really hard, it is heavily married to their wonderful culture but I'm not good with languages anyway but many Japanese, just like most countries, appreciate it if you try so that would be the one piece of advice I would give you.

• User profile image
    Massif

That's pretty awesome, congrats and good luck. I'm envious.Big Smile

• User profile image
    Dr Herbie

Congratulations, I hope you enjoy your adventure.

Best start learning the language. Smiley

Herbie

• User profile image
    ZippyV

I'd like to see lot's of pictures!

• User profile image
    Shiv

Congrats Sven, Big Smile great news

• User profile image
    will

Wow Sven, best of luck buddy!

I still remember reading that post you made back then about this. Great to see that things are coming together for you.

• User profile image
    phreaks

Congrats and good luck.

• User profile image
    fdisk

Congratulations!

• User profile image
    JohnAskew

Personally, I'd rather go to where you live than Japan, but achieving goals is success. You earned your way. Take your 9 guy...

• User profile image
    Charles

Congratulations, Sven! This is awesome news.

C

• User profile image
    JohnAskew

Charles wrote:

C

Now you've a reason to take a camera and head for Mt. Fuji, Charles!

Big Smile

• User profile image
    Charles

JohnAskew wrote:

Charles wrote: 

C

Now you've a reason to take a camera and head for Mt. Fuji, Charles!

Well, I may very well be heading to South Korea in August so Japan could be tacked on to my itinerary Wink
    C

• User profile image
    littleguru

Great news! Finally, after having waited for so long! Congrats. Take a lot pictures... And share with us fellow niners Smiley

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.