Coffeehouse Thread

3 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

Why is it this way?

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    getkaps

So here is some thing very amusing to me..

Why is the OS Architecture designed in such a way?

I mean..

Applications (User Mode)
    ---------------------------------

Kernel Mode (Device Drivers, Memory Mgmt., IO..etc)

-----------------------------------------------------------

And, finally the Hardware

From all the OS books I have read from my school, every one starts with this kind of architecture. Is this the only way OS can be built??

Is it like there is no Research going on to change this architecture? or is this that there is no other architecture???

Thanks,
    kaps.

• User profile image
    W3bbo

getkaps wrote:
    From all the OS books I have read from my school, every one starts with this kind of architecture. Is this the only way OS can be built??

Is it like there is no Research going on to change this architecture? or is this that there is no other architecture???

Unless you can think of a better way?

There's always DOS and other primitive operating systems (i.e. virtually no OS besides elementary memory and hardware management) and just grant all applications raw memory access (and bring back the Windows 95/MacOS7-days when a single program could bring down the whole system)

• User profile image
    littleguru

Ever heard of Singularity? Look down at the Presentations - it has a bunch of videos for you, showing the concepts.

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.