Coffeehouse Thread

34 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

... So I received Vista today ...

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    ManipUni

I received Vista Ultimate in the mail this morning. Haven't installed it just yet but am looking at doing that now, decided to take the dive after looking at the security, superfetch, and a few other features good for someone who spends way too long in front of their computer.

Microsoft really went all out with the Vista CD I tried to take a picture but needless to say you can't really appeaciate a 3D hologram from a picture Tongue Out

I'll post below with my first impressions (keep in mind I haven't tried Vista since mid-beta)...

Also my main account got nuked at some point ... ^shrug^

• User profile image
    LostIn​Tangent

I've had a really good experience with Vista Ultimate. The only problem I've had is with unsupported drivers for some of my peripherals.

• User profile image
    die-Sel

I have my disk here also but am not going to install untill VisualStudio Problems have been sorted and VS2005 is fully working.

but none the less, Vista is looking good

• User profile image
    Jaz

great to see you back manip, been missing your posts.

Yes i'm looking forward to receiving my vista disk... though i dunno how soon i'm gonna install it. i might wait a few more months, let manufacturers really push stable drivers out.  i'm more tempted to run x64.

• User profile image
    Tom Servo

Did you order these disks or are they gifts from the beta?

• User profile image
    Pace

either that or many of the niners are on the uber cool MSDN subscription Cool

• User profile image
    jamie

Manip!  welcome back Smiley

• User profile image
    ZippyV

Tom Servo wrote:
    Did you order these disks or are they gifts from the beta?

Beta gifts were download-only.

• User profile image
    Ion Todirel

Hey Manip!

• User profile image
    W3bbo

ManipUni wrote:
    Also my main account got nuked at some point ... ^shrug^

jamie wrote:
    Manip!  welcome back

...Manip never left.

I give you....

*drumroll*

Manip's alter-ego identity!

• User profile image
    Shiv

jamie wrote:
    Manip!  welcome back

good to see u back Manip:)

• User profile image
    ManipUni

Hey all, good to see many friendly faces still around. Smiley

Windows Vista setup is, let's say, not so wonderful ... It froze on every box for a minute or longer without any loading screen and after the reboot disabled the VGA output on my graphics card without warning. Fortunetly I have a flat panel monitor here but it wasn't plugged in at the time, so who knows why setup did that.

One good thing I want to say though is after you are passed the freezy boxes it is a pretty speedy file copy for a full DVD of stuff and overal its about as fast if not faster than XP's version of the same.

On first boot of Vista I had network problems but I can't blame that on Vista, it was a third party issue. Although I found the "helpful" dialogs on the new network control panel highly irritating and I found the missing run dialog box just as annoying (until I figured out the search box doubles up as a run box Tongue Out).

The power button on the start menu oddly doesn't turn off the machine instead you have to click the arrow and then shut down? Bug? I dunno...

I'm just starting to play around with Vista actual, that's mostly a review of the setup / first impression I had.

PS - Dumb Q: How can you tell if Glass is on or not? (I am serious!)

PS2 - That is my alt, but he hasn't posted every much while I've been gone. Afraid I've been busy and now I can't remember why I left this particular technology circle.

• User profile image
    jamie

go under appearance - and see if it says windows aero in the drop down - or if it says windows basic

youll know if its aero if the windows are transparent

aero is top one - basic is bottom one

• User profile image
    Sven Groot

ManipUni wrote:
    On first boot of Vista I had network problems but I can't blame that on Vista, it was a third party issue. Although I found the "helpful" dialogs on the new network control panel highly irritating and I found the missing run dialog box just as annoying (until I figured out the search box doubles up as a run box ). 

The old run box is still there. You can put it back on the start menu from the start menu's properties, or just type winkey-R to open it.

• User profile image
    ManipUni

I can't find the boxes you're suggesting but I am getting some transparency on some of the windows..

PS - Its wonderful being a nub again :o

edit: In answer to an earlier question I have the actual DVD. Fortunetly these things tend to ship a little early to OEMs and shops so if you know the right people you can buy them at a good price and a few days early Wink

• User profile image
    ManipUni

Sven Groot wrote:

The old run box is still there. You can put it back on the start menu from the start menu's properties, or just type winkey-R to open it.

Yeah. I just found where they hid the themes box and have gone back to XP's classic which I'm pleased about ...

PS - Thanks for the suggestions about the search box on control panel, found the "enable transparency" thingy now.

• User profile image
    littleguru

Hi manip. Right click the desktop. Click on "Personalize". In the window (that opened) click "Window Color and Appearance". "Windows Color and Appearance" should open. It should show you different color settings, color intensity etc.

If that is not shown but a new windows with the title "Appearance Settings" opens you are NOT running aero.

• User profile image
    Be#

ManipUni wrote:

The power button on the start menu oddly doesn't turn off the machine instead you have to click the arrow and then shut down? Bug? I dunno...

No bug, just a change in the default assignment for this key. You can change the behavior from the Power Options control panel.

And by the way: The Search Box is not a replacement for the XP Run entry. This is a common misunderstanding. The Run command is still there. Right-click the task bar, Properties, Startmenu, Customize and check the "Run command" check box and the command is back where you used to find it.

The Search box just lets you directly execute search results if they are, hmm, executables. So it might appear to be like the Run command.

By the way as a quick tip:

If you enter CMD in the Search box and Control-Shift-Left-click the found CMD Command you get a Command prompt elevated into Admin mode! I used this quite heavily during my setup experience.

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.