Coffeehouse Thread

13 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

Vista install issue

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    staceyw

I tried to install Vista on kids machine other day.  It comes up with a "CD device needs a driver..." message and blocks install.  It gives no other help and does not name the device and can't go forward unless I have a driver cd.  It is a 4 year old gateway that is still pretty good machine.  It does have a dvd drive and a cd/rw drive.  It does boot off the DVD drive, so it somehow is accessing the dvd ok so not sure why it will not continue on something it is already using?

If the issue is the other cd drive, why would it be totally blocking install instead of just erroring out that device?  I have no clue where or what driver to get so I am stumped at this point.  I figured I could just go to bestbuy and get a new cd drive, but was hoping someone ran into this issue already and has some clue?  tia 

• User profile image
    Pace

Cant you disconnect the IDE cable from the CD drive while you deal with the install?

• User profile image
    ZippyV

Maybe a bios upgrade would help?

• User profile image
    staceyw

Here is exact pic of error that someone else also had:
    http://www.saunalahti.fi/janij/blog/images/2006_oct_vista_rc2_install_problem.png

• User profile image
    Pace

Have you tried my suggestion Stacey?

It seems strange it would run setup then ask for a driver...

• User profile image
    staceyw

Pace wrote:

I agree.  I disconnected the other cd and got same error.  So it must not like the drive it is booting from for some reason?  I have seen others get this error when installing from a VM, but that is not the case here.  I would think it would at least continue with basic support or something until you get an os.

• User profile image
    staceyw

This is the MSDN Visa DVD if that matters.  I wonder if the retail version is the same or has more drivers or something.

• User profile image
    cescotto

You should:
    1) check the iso md5 to find out if it's corrupted or not.
    2) update your bios (some bios have problems when booting from DVDs)

If you can't solve those 2 problems then tell me, I remember having a patch (not literally, it's a floppy with CDROM drivers for Vista) for this somewhere.

• User profile image
    AndyC

Pace wrote:

This was a common problem with Win 95 setup. I can't remember the details but its something like the initial portion relies on BlOS functions, but once you get into the GUI it needs a proper Windows driver to read the rest of the disk. Doubtless somebody can fill in the details....

If you can't find a driver, or a more modern drive you may be out of luck.

• User profile image
    cescotto

AndyC wrote:

Pace wrote: Have you tried my suggestion Stacey?

This was a common problem with Win 95 setup. I can't remember the details but its something like the initial portion relies on BlOS functions, but once you get into the GUI it needs a proper Windows driver to read the rest of the disk. Doubtless somebody can fill in the details....

If you can't find a driver, or a more modern drive you may be out of luck.

It's a bug in the BIOS's legacy mode. It can be solved by loading a CDROM driver (extracted from a clean vista install) from a floppy during the installation.

• User profile image
    jamie

Pace wrote:

.. i could be mistaken - but i think i remember Staceyw = William Stacey .. not stacey (female)

correct?

• User profile image
    staceyw

jamie wrote:

Pace wrote: Have you tried my suggestion Stacey? 

.. i could be mistaken - but i think i remember Staceyw = William Stacey .. not stacey (female)

correct?

Correct.  You can call me William, or you can call me Ray - but please don't call me late for dinner ! Smiley 

There is one ~newer bios upgrade I will try.  My other computer (laptop) has no floppy, so now I just need to find a good floppy somewhere and figure out how to get the files on it.  Never had this issue booting with XP on same computer.  If the bios does not work, I guess I will just install XP again and maybe sometime do an upgrade to vista instead of a clean install.

• User profile image
    cescotto

staceyw wrote:

Correct.  You can call me William, or you can call me Ray - but please don't call me late for dinner ! Smiley 

There is one ~newer bios upgrade I will try.  My other computer (laptop) has no floppy, so now I just need to find a good floppy somewhere and figure out how to get the files on it.  Never had this issue booting with XP on same computer.  If the bios does not work, I guess I will just install XP again and maybe sometime do an upgrade to vista instead of a clean install.

You can solve the problem by using the same solutions to get RC2 to install on vmware.

You need a floppy disk/USB mass storage with the windows generic CDROM drivers (cdrom.inf , cdrom.sys) that you're going to use when vista asks you for the cdrom drivers.

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.