Coffeehouse Thread

13 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

Windows is coming to the Mac

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    littleguru

The Article is quite interesting.

Article wrote:
    While the last version of Parallels allowed you to run both operating systems at once, it still required you to switch back and forth between the two. Now, however, Parallels' Coherence product, which the company says will ship by mid-February, lets you keep multiple windows open on your desktop, just as you normally would, running a variety of applications. Except now you can switch between windows running Windows and Mac applications just as if they were all Mac. (Parallels costs $79, though Mac owners also have to buy a copy of Windows to use it.)

• User profile image
    jamie

cool

the one i saw last week had XP in a window on the mac - so the apps were all in that window

• User profile image
    Refrax

now if only they could make it go the other way around with windows as the host OS

• User profile image
    jamie

that'll happen around the same time Adobe supports Corel .cdr / .cmx file imports   Tongue Out

• User profile image
    Ion Todirel

thats really great, wondering when VMWare or somebody else will release something similar for windows? Sad

• User profile image
    rcardona

VMware has a public beta for OS X called Fusion.  The industry (VMware, Parallels, users, even (cough) Dell) wants Apple to release at least one finger off the tight grip on OS X.   The pirates are out there on the high seas with cracked OS X's, even OS X in a VMware VM but unless you want to run them at sealand, it's no dice. 

Anyone familar with Apple should be used to tight grips: iTunes, iPhone, clone wars (part I).

• User profile image
    AndyC

Very interesting, could well be the technology to finally put an end to Mac OS X development though.

• User profile image
    Xaero_​Vincent

Yep. I can find OS X for PCs on google in 15 seconds.

Of course downloading it is much more difficult due to too many leechers and few seeders.

I downloaded Darwin 8.0 from Apple's site but it sucks and there is no GUI whatsoever.

• User profile image
    AndyC

thumbtacks wrote:
    How so? Apple is capable enough at putting an end to third party development on its own platform. They don't need any outside help to do that. I would doubt, though, that having Windows available on Mac would end OS X development, though. Not everybody adores Windows.

The OS/2 effect.

If I have a choice as a developer between programming only for Mac or for Windows which will then run as a native Mac app too, there is no financial benefit to Mac-specific software. Catch 22.

• User profile image
    TimP

The difference is you still need a copy of Windows XP and Parallels Workstation to run any Windows apps on your Mac and they still won't run as well as native applications.

Off topic, but one thing that always amuses me when anyone shows anything Windows running on OS X, there's always at least one comment about wanting Apple to allow people run OS X on regular PCs. Is there that much Mac envy? I personally like OS X, but if I was going to run it, I'd want to do it on real Apple hardware. My biggest complaint with Apple hardware at the moment is the gap between the iMac line and the Mac Pro line. I'm willing to pony up over $1,000 for a new machine, but I want a full fledged machine with a desktop processor (not a mobile Core 2 Duo), 2GB RAM, etc. in a standard form factor (i.e. not integrated monitor). A $2,500 quad core machine (the next step up) is a bit overkill for me. Take the Mac Pro case, shrink it a little, put in a Core 2 Duo E6600 or E6700, sell it for around $1,500, and I'd be first in line.

• User profile image
    rcardona

Having carried a PowerMac G5 (same form factor as a MacPro) through a mall for repairs into an Apple Store, I would say not just dollars-wise, a MacPro is too heavy! I would love to see a mid-range form factor again like the old IIci's, Quadra 700s, etc. That was a perfect-sized Mac.

• User profile image
    jamie

just got back from office and geoff was running the beta of that app.  it just puts the windows startbar - right under the mac bar - and you can launch mac or win apps together. (sorry the pic is blurry - its projected on the wall and it was sunny out)

(off topic - new toy) slip server

plus they had a few of these kickin around so i grabbed one (i had lost my other one Smiley

edit - heres the view from the office window:

• User profile image
    Cairo

IE7, Firefox 2 and Safari 2 all co-habitating on my desktop:

http://img408.imageshack.us/img408/5160/coherence3aw.png

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.