Coffeehouse Thread

4 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

What software metholodgy do you use?

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    Lee_Dale

I've worked in big and small companies and the big companies always employ a RUP methology for software engineering.

However in my experience RUP has not always been effectivly used, and Im talking big companies.  Some of the best work I've seen is at small close knit software teams that have a more relaxed approach to development.  Now I accept the need for a metholodgy and I have been reading up on XP and agile methods, which seem to be similar to how I have always developed software myself, and without blowing my own trumpet I have always produced what the client or employer wanted as a sucessful product.

What methods do you use at your company, strict or relaxed and what do you prefer?

Also how do MS approach it is there a standard metholodgy or is it team based?

• User profile image
    PaoloM

leeappdalecom wrote:
    I've worked in big and small companies and the big companies always employ a RUP methology for software engineering.

However in my experience RUP has not always been effectivly used, and Im talking big companies.  Some of the best work I've seen is at small close knit software teams that have a more relaxed approach to development.  Now I accept the need for a metholodgy and I have been reading up on XP and agile methods, which seem to be similar to how I have always developed software myself, and without blowing my own trumpet I have always produced what the client or employer wanted as a sucessful product.

What methods do you use at your company, strict or relaxed and what do you prefer?

Also how do MS approach it is there a standard metholodgy or is it team based?

RUP is yesterday's methodology Smiley

We used to use it at my previous job but it was so cumbersome and heavy that we eventually switched to SCRUM (as always, heavily customized to our needs).

In MS, pretty much every team is free to use whatever methodology and tools they feel are the best to serve their needs. For WDS we used a version of SCRUM and, in general, a lot of agile techniques. I think we should do more paired programming, but I'm a PM and devs don't even let me enter their offices anymore Sad

• User profile image
    jb43081

We use kind of a mash-up of agile approached like Scrum, XP and FDD. The general philosopy is "Use more of what works, less of what doesn't."

Not a big fan of paired programming to be honest. Probably because I'm not a "people person" Sad

• User profile image
    littleguru

Scrum and XP.

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.