Coffeehouse Thread

8 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

Vista: .htaccess rename bug?

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    Be#

Seems as if I cannot rename a file to .htaccess in Vista Windows Explorer (Dreamweaver solves the problem).

Can anybody duplicate this issue?

• User profile image
    Cannot​Resolve​Symbol

Be# wrote:
    Seems as if I cannot rename a file to .htaccess in Vista Windows Explorer (Dreamweaver solves the problem).

You couldn't do that in XP and earlier either.

• User profile image
    littleguru

Doesn't work here too. Tells me that I have to enter a file name...

• User profile image
    Be#

CannotResolveSymbol wrote:

Be# wrote: Seems as if I cannot rename a file to .htaccess in Vista Windows Explorer (Dreamweaver solves the problem).

You couldn't do that in XP and earlier either.

Never noticed...

• User profile image
    littleguru

C:\Users\Chris\Desktop>ren foo.txt .htaccess

does it Tongue Out

• User profile image
    AndyC

Be# wrote:

Explorer won't let you do this, because if you had "Hide file extensions for known types" turned on (the default) the name would instantly go blank, making it difficult for the average user to fix in the event it was unintentional.

The command line will let you do it because it assumes you know what you are doing.

• User profile image
    DigitalDud

AndyC wrote:

Explorer won't let you do this, because if you had "Hide file extensions for known types" turned on (the default) the name would instantly go blank, making it difficult for the average user to fix in the event it was unintentional.

The command line will let you do it because it assumes you know what you are doing.

Vista actually changed this behavior at least, it won't hide filenames starting with a dot regardless of the setting.

• User profile image
    Cannot​Resolve​Symbol

DigitalDud wrote:

AndyC wrote: 

Vista actually changed this behavior at least, it won't hide filenames starting with a dot regardless of the setting.

XP doesn't do that either, unless the file is named after a valid filename extension (like .doc or something).

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.