Coffeehouse Thread

183 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

BadVista.org: Tagging Vista at Amazon.com

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    cescotto
  • User profile image
    PaoloM

Wow.

You can smell the desperation from here...

Expressionless

• User profile image
    jamie

that's inane.

it's one thing to go to a ms site and complain about certain... aspects of vista.  it's another to go and spam the net with garbage like this.

• User profile image
    cescotto

This is even more pathetic than http://channel9.msdn.com/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=275197

It looks like they've ran out of arguments and all they do now is spreading FUD 24/7.

• User profile image
    Xaero_​Vincent

Hmm..

Vista is only one of the products. They labeled over 900 products, including OS X, XP, Bluray players, movies, zunes and iPods.

• User profile image
    arunmib

This is silly. There is not even a clue whether that guy has tried the OS. So, better if he doesn't like something, he better not use it....Why spread unnecessary words.....

• User profile image
    cescotto

arunmib wrote:
    This is silly. There is not even a clue whether that guy has tried the OS. So, better if he doesn't like something, he better not use it....Why spread unnecessary words.....

It's not a guy, it's the BadVista website (managed by the FSF).

The page I posted is just a discussion: you have to click on the Title to get to the website the discussion refers to.

• User profile image
    corona_coder

Myself and some of my LUG members will be picketing Best Buy, CompUSA, Circuit City and Staples the day Vista is released.  We will be giving away free copies of Ubuntu and kubuntu and informing Vista buying customers about the truth of Windows Vista.  For best results, use Linux.

• User profile image
    YearOfThe​LinuxDesktop

corona_coder wrote:
    Myself and some of my LUG members will be picketing Best Buy, CompUSA, Circuit City and Staples the day Vista is released.  We will be giving away free copies of Ubuntu and kubuntu and informing Vista buying customers about the truth of Windows Vista.  For best results, use Linux.

Yess!!! Remember everybody whose year it is!

HINTS
    1. look at my nickname to find out
    2. get a life

• User profile image
    Jason Cox

corona_coder wrote:
    Seriously, if you need to picket stores, spam e-commerce websites and spread FUD just to get people to use your product, you really need to start investing more time into making your product into something less then a peice of c**p.

If all you Linux folks spent as much time improving your OS as you did bashing Windows then this would seriously really be the 'year of linux'. But nope, it's easier just to bash Microsoft and spread FUD then put quality code on a screen.

• User profile image
    corona_coder

Jason Cox wrote:
    it's easier just to bash Microsoft and spread FUD then put quality code on a screen.

FUD?  Ok lets look at statistics.  What OS on the market today has the most security vulnerabilities?  Windows.  What OS is impervious to viruses and malware?  Linux.  What OS has the highest number of unfixed vulnerabilities?  Windows.  What OS does all serious research and scientific facilities use?  Linux.  What does the US government deploy for all serious computing tasks?  Linux.  What OS is the fastest growing OS in the market?  Linux.  So the Linux codebase is not quality?  Get back to reality.  If you want a OS thats great for multimedia and doing basic tasks then Windows is the way to go.  But if you are a serious computer professional, Linux is the only choice that makes sense.Windows is the new unix.  Expensive and proprietary, easily replaced.

• User profile image
    PaoloM

uhm...

Let me think about an operating system made by a company that sets you up with insecure sudo defaults - and then proceeds to store the admin password in plain text in a log file - and then proceeds to make that log file world readable.

Sounds vaguely insecure, eh?

Or what about another operating system where, at install time, you can select without warning a package that would require all subsequent packages to be signed. Only to find out that NONE of the packages on the official distribution DVD were signed and so the installer failed on every single one of them.

Sounds retarded, eh?

So, dear freedom fighter, tell me again which operating system is insecure/retarded by default?

• User profile image
    TimP

PaoloM wrote:

Let me think about an operating system made by a company that sets you up with insecure sudo defaults - and then proceeds to store the admin password in plain text in a log file - and then proceeds to make that log file world readable.

Sounds vaguely insecure, eh?

I know you're referring to the Ubuntu installer issue with 5.10, which was fixed, but I'm curious what you mean by "insecure sudo defaults". You setup one account at install time and it can run root commands through sudo after you enter your password again. Since it's the only account you have out of the box, if it didn't have full sudo permission you'd never be able to do anything.

Also to clarify, the password in plaintext issue was world readable for people who already had shell access on the machine, not world readable as in remotely exploitable. What you said makes sense to people who are familiar with Linux, but I wanted to clarify that for people who think world readable really means world readable.

The log also only stored your initial password at install time. If you ever changed it afterwards, the log file didn't automagically update with your new password.

I've never used whatever distro you're talking about in the second example.

I'm not defending what happened, it was a pretty big mistake on their part, but it wasn't a show stopping security issue unless you were running an Ubuntu machine and allowed access to people you didn't trust (people who would own your box given the chance).

• User profile image
    PaoloM

TimP wrote:
    (stuff)

You are a winnar! Smiley

But I thought our freedom fighter said that Linux was impervious to these kind of things, right?
    TimP wrote:
    I've never used whatever distro you're talking about in the second example.

Debian.

• User profile image
    DigitalDud

corona_coder wrote:

Jason Cox wrote: it's easier just to bash Microsoft and spread FUD then put quality code on a screen.

FUD?  Ok lets look at statistics.  What OS on the market today has the most security vulnerabilities?  Windows.  What OS is impervious to viruses and malware?  Linux.  What OS has the highest number of unfixed vulnerabilities?  Windows.  What OS does all serious research and scientific facilities use?  Linux.  What does the US government deploy for all serious computing tasks?  Linux.  What OS is the fastest growing OS in the market?  Linux.  So the Linux codebase is not quality?  Get back to reality.  If you want a OS thats great for multimedia and doing basic tasks then Windows is the way to go.  But if you are a serious computer professional, Linux is the only choice that makes sense.Windows is the new unix.  Expensive and proprietary, easily replaced.

And when was the last time Windows had an exploit that wasn't in user mode?  Linux gets off cause its just a kernel, no shells or imaging libraries included in the security vulnerability list.

And let me tell you the US government doesn't run Linux. They're generally scared of things that are free.

• User profile image
    Dr Herbie

corona_coder wrote:

Jason Cox wrote: it's easier just to bash Microsoft and spread FUD then put quality code on a screen.

... What OS does all serious research and scientific facilities use?  Linux. 

Well, as an ex-scientific researcher I can tell you that all the scientific research facilities I've worked at  used to use Apple Macintosh for desktops but now they mainly use Windows. For servers they use actual Unix (you know, the original OS that Linux copied).  These were:
    University of Edinburgh (Institiues of Cell and Animal Population Biology),
    University of York (Bology Department and Computer Science Departments),
    University of Aberdeen (Zoology Department, Computer Science Department)
    University of Southampton (Biomedical Science Department and Computer Science Department).

So was you statement based on knowledge, or was it just some assumption you made?

Herbie

• User profile image
    littleguru

This is insane. Look down at the tags... Sad Why are people saying something, without having tried it. I find Vista is a great experience and about DRM - where is it? I haven't got any problems so far... Everything works Wink

• User profile image
    Royal​Schrubber

corona_coder wrote:

Let me ask you this one: How can you explain Linux behavior that only Root processes gets access to ports between 1 an 1024 including port 80???
    Chroot is by the way exploitable without some serious hacks and lowering permissions can easily be reversed.
    Also, how can you explain that I personally know a person whose Linux computer has been hacked and I don't know anybody with Windows hacked??

About *serious research*. Linux did I his whole existence produced very few new technologies. I mean rebel linux foss whatever camp has not developed any new useful language besides maybe some script sh!t. They use C and C++ and others languages that they did not discover. They are great at taking someone’s design and copying it.
    It's nothing innovative in Linux - it has kernel similar to many other unixes, however, for some reason it is less secure than other designs - for example BSDs, which are for your information way more secure.

Viruses?? STFU, I do not have updated windows and I am without antivirus/firewall software on fully open network and for some reason I am not experiencing any malicious attacks. How about that, punk.

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.