Coffeehouse Thread

7 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

Server 2003 Wireless Client Question

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    sicRrh

Hello,

I have a home network with a wireless router, a server running Server 2003 and several XP Pro clients.  The server is running Active Directory and DHCP as a PDC.  The problem is the server will not give me an IP address when I try to login to the domain using a wireless client. 

Does anyone have any experience with this issue?  Do I need to put DHCP back on the router and authenticate using a VPN?

Thanks

• User profile image
    phreaks

sicRrh wrote:
    Hello,

I have a home network with a wireless router, a server running Server 2003 and several XP Pro clients.  The server is running Active Directory and DHCP as a PDC.  The problem is the server will not give me an IP address when I try to login to the domain using a wireless client. 

Does anyone have any experience with this issue?  Do I need to put DHCP back on the router and authenticate using a VPN?

Thanks

I have the same setup and have no issues.

One thing I do though is set static IP's for the desktop clients, not that it matter's it just makes it easier for me to make pc specific firewall / snort exceptions.

why would you need to authenticate using VPN? VPN to where?

• User profile image
    phreaks

ZippyV wrote:
    I have a wireless router with dhcp. If I want a server to give out ip adresses I need to change the setup of my router and fill in the (static) ip-adress of the dhcp server so that new clients now where to get an ip-adress.
    Did you do that too?

Same here.

• User profile image
    ZippyV

I have a wireless router with dhcp. If I want a server to give out ip adresses I need to change the setup of my router and fill in the (static) ip-adress of the dhcp server so that new clients know where to get an ip-adress.
    Did you do that too?

• User profile image
    sicRrh

I originally had DHCP setup on the router.  When I installed the server with Active Directory, the setup wizard wanted or recommended installing DNS and DHCP.  So, I turned off DHCP on the router and installed it on the server.

I think the wireless clients do not get an IP address until after all of the authentication and scripts would have run.  So, I think the clients are logging in with a cached authentication into the client but never receive an IP from the server.

• User profile image
    ZippyV

Obviously, you don't need to authenticate to receive an ip-adress. How would you otherwise communicate with the server if you don't have an ip-adress?

• User profile image
    RichardRudek

Do you have any additional network hardware, such as a hub/switch.

Whenever I've had to fix these types of problems, I always discover that the people have messed up, having plugged the WAN connection of their Router into a Hub/Switch which has the desktops and servers, instead of daisy-chaining (uplinking) between the Router and the Hub/Switch. The Router is designed to keep the WAN separate from LAN sides, "Routing" between them as appropriate.

Next on the list is Virtual LANs (VLANs), where the Router deliberably separates Wireless users from wired users.

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.