Coffeehouse Thread

7 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

printers, virus, and update rant.

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    staceyw

I don't normally rant, but man.

1) Why are printers so damn hard to install these days?  It used to be install a 100K driver and go.  For the second time I am trying to install a brand new HP 6210 on XP pro sp2 and the Min install is 320MB and the full is 800+MB.  Come on!  The first install failed for some reason.  Possibly because the USB cord was in or maybe it was out before the CD, I can't remember.  The other day I had same issue with an new HP laser at work computer using W2K3.  That took 3 installs and a few reboot and never really figured out what that issue was.  Come on MS - Come on HP.  Lets get this stuff figured out and bone simple.  I should be able to plug the dam cord and Bam - done.  Also these $100-$200 printers these days are junk!  We bought 3-4 in last 6 months to replace new broke ones.  Make them 100% better and charge me double.

2) My Windows update does not work again.  I have had this issue before on other machines, and never figured out the issue.  It just runs and runs in some kind of loop and never returns to show what needs update.  This is most disturbing as I have no idea what is wrong.

3) I have OneCare.  I like it.  Why is Defender even needed?  Defender runs over the whole drive and OneCare runs also.  So you have two full passes?  Why not just integrate the Defender routines into the same pass as the OneCare virus check and chuck Defender?  To me, it is the same function anyway - remove (or tell me about) bad stuff on my machine.

done for now...

• User profile image
    YearOfThe​LinuxDesktop

staceyw wrote:

2) My Windows update does not work again.  I have had this issue before on other machines, and never figured out the issue.  It just runs and runs in some kind of loop and never returns to show what needs update.  This is most disturbing as I have no idea what is wrong.

Do you happen to have a persistent 100% cpu usage while windows update doesn't work?

• User profile image
    staceyw

I can't recheck at the moment because the HP driver is still installing very slowly.  Something is weird.  If it was 100%, what would I check?  TIA

• User profile image
    zian

Re: Printers

Canon still has small installs.
    The entire install is just the drivers, documentation, and status monitor and it installs in under 3 minutes, including the time Windows spends chatting with the printer when I first plug in the USB cable.
    I know it doesn't help your current situation w/ HP but I wanted to give you some hope. Smiley

• User profile image
    staceyw

YearOfTheLinuxDesktop wrote:

staceyw wrote: 

Do you happen to have a persistent 100% cpu usage while windows update doesn't work?

This little util fixed me up on the Update issue:
    http://wiki.djlizard.net/Dial-a-fix

• User profile image
    Cannot​Resolve​Symbol

staceyw wrote:

3) I have OneCare.  I like it.  Why is Defender even needed?  Defender runs over the whole drive and OneCare runs also.  So you have two full passes?  Why not just integrate the Defender routines into the same pass as the OneCare virus check and chuck Defender?  To me, it is the same function anyway - remove (or tell me about) bad stuff on my machine.

OneCare 1.5 integrates the two into the same process.  It should be released in Feb., so you don't have too long to wait.

• User profile image
    TimP

Printer software is almost as bad as some malware. I usually extract the installers and manually install the drivers.

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.