Coffeehouse Thread

15 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

IE scrolling issues; painting text

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    blowdart

So as some of you are aware my blog lives over at http://idunno.org. Ever since I reskinned it scrolling down and up in IE is problematic at best; at times the bottom half of a line of text doesn't appear. If you minimise and maximise it gets repainted fine, just during the scroll it looses things. I thought it was a video driver issue at first, but a few people have mentioned it now.

Anyone have any bright ideas?

• User profile image
    Cannot​Resolve​Symbol

blowdart wrote:
    So as some of you are aware my blog lives over at http://idunno.org/"> http://idunno.org. Ever since I reskinned it scrolling down and up in IE is problematic at best; at times the bottom half of a line of text doesn't appear. If you minimise and maximise it gets repainted fine, just during the scroll it looses things. I thought it was a video driver issue at first, but a few people have mentioned it now.

That's quite interesting...  I just switched back and forth between tabs with your blog open in one and got this:

Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.us

This is the only site I've ever seen do anything like that...  do you have some kind of long-running script or something?

• User profile image
    stevo_

I've had this before, can't be entirely sure, but it may be a line height issue.

• User profile image
    blowdart

CannotResolveSymbol wrote:

blowdart wrote: So as some of you are aware my blog lives over at http://idunno.org/">http://idunno.org. Ever since I reskinned it scrolling down and up in IE is problematic at best; at times the bottom half of a line of text doesn't appear. If you minimise and maximise it gets repainted fine, just during the scroll it looses things. I thought it was a video driver issue at first, but a few people have mentioned it now.

That's quite interesting...  I just switched back and forth between tabs with your blog open in one and got this:

Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.us

This is the only site I've ever seen do anything like that...  do you have some kind of long-running script or something?

No scripts at all. Well, not client side anyway

• User profile image
    blowdart

stevo_ wrote:
    I've had this before, can't be entirely sure, but it may be a line height issue.

That could be possible, it is using non-standard line heights, but I would have thought that would have been tested Smiley

• User profile image
    ZippyV

I've had this problem too with parts of text just disappearing, very annoying.

• User profile image
    blowdart

ZippyV wrote:

Bruce? OHHHH BRUUUUUCEEEEE ...

• User profile image
    PetKnep

Heh, they do have a private message feature on C9 right?

I'll pass it around, let you know if anything pops up. No guarantees, but I'll see what I can do.

• User profile image
    Secret​Software

ZippyV wrote:

I switched back to FireFox because of this and other performance issues.

• User profile image
    PetKnep

SecretSoftware wrote:

ZippyV wrote: I've had this problem too with parts of text just disappearing, very annoying.

I switched back to FireFox because of this and other performance issues.

Thanks for the feedback.

• User profile image
    W3bbo

blowdart wrote:

ZippyV wrote:I've had this problem too with parts of text just disappearing, very annoying.

Bruce deals with UX and Chrome, Dave works on the product as a whole. We don't have anyone from the Trident team here though.

• User profile image
    blowdart

W3bbo wrote:

blowdart wrote:
    ZippyV wrote:I've had this problem too with parts of text just disappearing, very annoying.

Bruce deals with UX and Chrome, Dave works on the product as a whole. We don't have anyone from the Trident team here though.

Yea but he might know someone. Funny thing was it was an MS PM that pointed it out to me Big Smile

• User profile image
    BruceMorgan

blowdart wrote:

Yea but he might know someone. Funny thing was it was an MS PM that pointed it out to me
    I know lots of someones.  One of them is a dev lead for Trident, and he says

I think the problem is with this rule

.post .body
    {
      font-family: Georgia, serif;
      font-size: 110%;
      line-height: 17px;
      text-align: justify;
      text-justify: newspaper
    }

Setting line-height to be less than font height doesn’t work very well. I don’t know if it is new, would be surprised if it is.

• User profile image
    blowdart

Rowan wrote:
    What the hell is "text-justify"?

Finer control Smiley

And I removed the line height, an lo, it worked Smiley

Thanks all!

• User profile image
    Rowan

What the hell is "text-justify"?

I doubt that's really causing the problem though, I'm definately noticing the bug on an unpredictable basis.

It definately looks like IE is getting messed up with the line-height and background colour, so I would take a look at increasing or removing the line height and/or unecessary background colours.

There's an IE7 bug I found a while ago which comprises of italic text and a background colour, the result is that the background colour would become a "foreground colour" and cover up any element sitting next to the text. I'll post a link soon...

Edit: Big Fat IE7 Bug - http://rowanw.com/bugs/background_overlap.htm

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.